Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 2:45 pm

I'm really not sure about parallel universes. It's not something you could back up as being totally feasible like the existence of life elsewhere. The ideas are intrigueing, but we just can't know yet. Maybe we'll never know.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 2:55 pm

Take a read of this ShenLong. Ignore the title as it is misleading.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... erses.html

It shows that there is a possibility that there might be multiple universes. The researchers, as the article states, acknowledged that could have been just the occurrence of unlikely statistics. They are now looking into it further. If there is multiple Universes the data may give us an idea of where to look.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2011, 5:20 pm

In the inky blackness of infinity and eternity, 13.7 billion years ago, our universe sprouted like a mushroom. I expect eternity and infinity has many such mushies.

I read that quantum physics speculates eleven dimensions (four of which we operate in). In infinity and eternity, where our universe is so small, I expect there could be other dimensions.

Aspie_SE10
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2011, 3:41 pm

I absolutely love the multiverse theory and the relevant word there is theory.

It is eminently possible but - with the nature of the standard model of physics - I fear that it will remain theoretical.

Multiverse is one of three areas of physics that make me feel like I've had my brain hollowed out and replaced with sand, the others being string theory and imaginary time.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 3:12 am

Aspie_SE10 wrote:
It is eminently possible but - with the nature of the standard model of physics - I fear that it will remain theoretical. .

If we are lucky and affects of seperate universes can be felt way in the forms of gravity or whatever, from vast vast distances, if we come up with much better instrumentation we may have a chance of sensing it. This is all of course assuming that that "big bangs" happened extremely far apart from each other.

Then again me may not ever be connected to it in any measurable way.

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2011, 4:30 am

ruveyn wrote:
Biokinetica wrote:
You totally missed the point. Greek logic is binary. The universe is not. On top of that, you're ignoring the difference between a valid argument and a sound one.

No I am not. The universally quantified axioms of physical science are not empirically verifiable so any argument based on them cannot be sound. We simply do not know if these assumptions are true.

ruveyn

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever read. Thermodynamics, electrostatics and the basic force equations can be demonstrated by a four-year-old.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 7:37 am

Biokinetica wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Biokinetica wrote:
You totally missed the point. Greek logic is binary. The universe is not. On top of that, you're ignoring the difference between a valid argument and a sound one.

No I am not. The universally quantified axioms of physical science are not empirically verifiable so any argument based on them cannot be sound. We simply do not know if these assumptions are true.

ruveyn

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever read. Thermodynamics, electrostatics and the basic force equations can be demonstrated by a four-year-old.

They are supported thus far by empirical evidence. Have experiments been done 10 billion light years from here? The assumption of uniformity in physical law is just that, an assumption.

When a law is stated as a universally quantified proposition it has an infinite set of instances. The laws cannot be affirmed empirically unless it is affirmed for ALL of its instances. Humans have been around for a quarter of a million years and we will be gone in less than ten million years. We do not have enough time or smarts to test every last instance of our general physical laws. And that includes the laws of thermodynamics. No one has ever shown a LOGICAL contradiction follows from a violation of thermodynamic laws. All we have is partial empirical evidence for these laws. And that pertains to all scientific laws we have formulated. Supported -thus far by experiment-. No guarantee that somewhere, sometime a contradicting fact will not be found. That is why science is provisional.

ruveyn

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 11:41 am

My own take on the whole "parallel universe" idea is that it's an elegant solution to many of the paradoxes in Quantum Physics, but it cannot be empirically tested so it's a non-scientific theory. Still, it is worthwhile thinking about it.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2011, 2:36 pm

Well I think it's plausible. Other universes could exist possibly. Many scientists actually believe that our universe was born from a dying other universe. Thus our universe might not be the first and certainly not the last.

What intrigates me is could it be possible to travel, or at least communicate with one of these other universes?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 1:25 pm

sErgEantaEgis wrote:
Well I think it's plausible. Other universes could exist possibly. Many scientists actually believe that our universe was born from a dying other universe. Thus our universe might not be the first and certainly not the last.

What intrigates me is could it be possible to travel, or at least communicate with one of these other universes?

You can't get there from here.

ruveyn

Sirius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2011, 4:02 pm

supra_chiasma wrote:
Do you believe in a parallel universe?
I saw the documantary with Michio Kaku and i was amazed.
Is the 4th dimention also a parallel univerese?

I do believe it but I can't prove it in any way. Just think of anti-matter to matter or negatives to regular picture film. That is how I view a parallel universe, that one universe is an energy reproduction of another universe

Now is this universe the picture or the negatives? That I don't know.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

supra_chiasma wrote:
Do you believe in a parallel universe?
I saw the documantary with Michio Kaku and i was amazed.
Is the 4th dimention also a parallel univerese?

Fouth dimension is time. An alternate universe would include its own separate fourth dimension/timeline. IE, the 5th dimension (so to speak) would be where it would include alternate dimensions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA[/youtube]

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:43 pm

I don't particularly believe it or not, by the way. It's just fun to try and stretch your brain in different ways...so imagining "higher dimensions" in that sense is fun for me.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

WeirdAlYankovicFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2011, 9:41 am

In a mathmatical sense, yes. Here is a small example which I had conjured up which I assumed might be interesting to those reading my post: take two pieces of paper, and illustrate one geometrical structure on each piece (both being identical on each page). There, now you have parallel dimensions in geometry, existing within real time. As of today, there are a total of three known spatial dimensions, consisting of length, height, and lastly; depth.

As for parallel universes, the ''Parallel Universe Theory'' is such that all universes already exist in parallel and span all of existence as we know it, like a complete vector space. Being such, it's fundamentally impossible within the parallel universe theory for there to be space where a universe does not exist. In all seriousness, each distinctive universe (assuming that there are multiple universes) has its own individual set of physical and chemical properties. Two universes cannot possess the precise set of properties; thus making it impossible for parallel universes to exist.

Last edited by WeirdAlYankovicFan on 20 Mar 2011, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 10:45 am

WeirdAlYankovicFan wrote:
In a mathmatical sense, yes. Here is a small example which I had conjured up which I assumed might be interesting to those reading my post: take two pieces of paper, and illustrate one geometrical structure on each piece (both being identical on each page). There, now you have parallel dimensions in geometry, existing within real time. As of today, there are a total of four known spatial dimensions, consisting of length, height, depth, and lastly; time.

time is not a spatial dimension. In the formula for the space-time interval in Special Relativity Theory, the time dimension has a different sign from the spatial dimensions. The usual signature is

+ + + - but sometime - - - + is used. The forth item in each signature pertains to time.

ruveyn

WeirdAlYankovicFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2011, 12:49 pm

Quote:

time is not a spatial dimension. In the formula for the space-time interval in Special Relativity Theory, the time dimension has a different sign from the spatial dimensions. The usual signature is

+ + + - but sometime - - - + is used. The forth item in each signature pertains to time.

ruveyn

My bad. I wasn't paying attention as to what I was typing. I have fixed my post. Thank you for informing me.