Possible genetic link between ASDs and depression

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Do you think that there is a genetic link between ASDs and depression?
Poll ended at 18 Feb 2012, 2:15 pm
Yes. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
No. 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Not sure. 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 12

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2011, 2:15 pm

I believe that there is a genetic link between ASDs and depression. I have done some online research and I have found that there are studies showing that there is a genetic link between ASDs and depression. When I say there is a genetic link between ASDs and depression, I mean children who are diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) also have family histories that test positive for any kind of depression (i.e. kid's uncle has depression, kid's aunt has depression, kid's mother has depression, etc.).

Sources

1. http://www.autism-pdd.net/medical.html.

MANIC DEPRESSION AND AUTISM
According to a recent study at the Duke University Medical Center, some cases of autism may be associated with a family history of depressive illness. Autism, a disorder marked by social withdrawal and an inability to interact with the environment, seems to appear more frequently in families with a strong history of bipolar illness, the study found.

In connection with his study of 40 autistic children, Duke researcher Dr.Robert DeLong reported in the journal Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology that in 14 of the cases reviewed there was a strong family history of depression or manic depressive illness.

The study hypothesized that when manic depression strikes in early infancy, it may blunt the child's cognitive, social, and emotional development irreversibly, so that the child's brain never develops the framework in which to build communications skills. In extreme cases, this may lead to clinical autism.
(Reprinted from the National DMDA Newsletter, vol. 7, no. 1)

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2011, 5:36 pm

I don't know about this.

I think it's more likely that the symptoms of AS and autism lead to depression. Perhaps the family members of kids on the spectrum have mild symptoms of AS themselves that has been misdiagnosed as bipolar, or perhaps they are depressed because their child/loved one is struggling. I know that I personally was a very happy child, and my parents were happy as well. But as I got older and my AS symptoms began causing more problems for me, I started going through periods of depression and so did my parents.

Some people on this site have expressed the opinion that, if Aspies and Auties were in the majority and NT's the minority, at least some of their emotional distress would probably be eliminated. I feel this way as well. So I feel like environment may play a larger role in depression than genetics. This is just based on my personal experience though, others may see things differently.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 6:18 pm

I have some problems with this sort of reasoning. To me, it just seems to be unprovable one way or another, at least with the information that we currently have available. I believe that my depression is due to my inability to socialize, which is a consequence of AS.