Teacher fired for calling her students "lazy whiners&qu

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 1:33 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
It sounds like the teacher is the one who happens to be the lazy slob.

A judgment you make based on?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 8:15 pm

ikorack wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
ikorack wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
"Free speech" only means the government can't restrict what you say.

If the school is public it is a branch of the government.

Not relevant. If the same teacher walked into the principal's office and told him to, "go @#$&% himself," she would most likely be fired. You can legally say what you like, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences for your "free speech." And I work for the government too and I'm not allowed to say whatever I want either. "Free speech" refers to the fact the government can't make a law forbidding you from insulting the president and whatnot. It has nothing to do with whether or not a teacher should be able to act in an unprofessional manner in public.

No very relevant, she didn't say such things at her school she said them at home, and while it was on the internet it was intended to be private, she didn't even use the names of students, which is I think a sign of professionalism even in her private life where she should be able to do as she pleases. She voiced her opinion which she is entitled to and she did so without slandering any student in particular. aka she harmed no student, which is really all a teacher should have to worry about.

If her students were able to find it, it wasn't very "private."

If she wishes to voice her private opinion, she should restrict herself to a medium where her opinions are much more likely to remain "private." She can whine, b***h, and moan all she wants on the telephone or over her private e-mail, but posting on a blog that her students were obviously able to read without much trouble was not "private."

It's highly unprofessional to rag on one's students in public. It makes little difference if she named a particular student or not. Her position as a teacher demands more discretion and a bit more class. Various careers restrict the luxury of being able to shoot your mouth off, or act like a twit, where the taxpayers can hear/see you; teaching happens to be one of them. Police officers, doctors, soldiers, and public officials are others.

I sincerely hope she gets her wrist slapped and can exercise better judgement in the future.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:46 pm

I would've waited till I get tenure to complain to the world on my blog. :P

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 10:15 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
ikorack wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
ikorack wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
"Free speech" only means the government can't restrict what you say.

If the school is public it is a branch of the government.

Not relevant. If the same teacher walked into the principal's office and told him to, "go @#$&% himself," she would most likely be fired. You can legally say what you like, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences for your "free speech." And I work for the government too and I'm not allowed to say whatever I want either. "Free speech" refers to the fact the government can't make a law forbidding you from insulting the president and whatnot. It has nothing to do with whether or not a teacher should be able to act in an unprofessional manner in public.

No very relevant, she didn't say such things at her school she said them at home, and while it was on the internet it was intended to be private, she didn't even use the names of students, which is I think a sign of professionalism even in her private life where she should be able to do as she pleases. She voiced her opinion which she is entitled to and she did so without slandering any student in particular. aka she harmed no student, which is really all a teacher should have to worry about.

If her students were able to find it, it wasn't very "private."

If she wishes to voice her private opinion, she should restrict herself to a medium where her opinions are much more likely to remain "private." She can whine, b***h, and moan all she wants on the telephone or over her private e-mail, but posting on a blog that her students were obviously able to read without much trouble was not "private."

It's highly unprofessional to rag on one's students in public. It makes little difference if she named a particular student or not. Her position as a teacher demands more discretion and a bit more class. Various careers restrict the luxury of being able to shoot your mouth off, or act like a twit, where the taxpayers can hear/see you; teaching happens to be one of them. Police officers, doctors, soldiers, and public officials are others.

I sincerely hope she gets her wrist slapped and can exercise better judgement in the future.

She intended it to be a private blog, she was just incompetent(arguably not incompetent just ignorant) about implementing her intentions. It was her understanding that she was speaking in a private manner to friends and family. A teacher should be able to criticizing her/his students. In whatever manner is both fitting and humane.(meaning no physical or severe emotional trauma) I can see pride getting hurt by her comments but what serious harm has been done? Perhaps her students know how she feels about the majority of them now perhaps this will motivate, there is no justification for silencing her, especially when it is arguably a needed power in her position. Discretion about what? She is there to teach discretion never taught anyone skills on its own(aka has never helped the learning process in its application) so there is no reason to espouse it as a virtue for teachers. She did not act like a twit, she was voicing criticism in what she thought was a private setting, and it arguably should have been heard by the students anyways.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 11:53 pm

Quote:
She intended it to be a private blog, she was just incompetent(arguably not incompetent just ignorant) about implementing her intentions. It was her understanding that she was speaking in a private manner to friends and family.

Doesn't matter. It was posted publicly despite her intentions. You can't un-ring a bell. She was being careless and she got caught.

Quote:
A teacher should be able to criticizing her/his students. In whatever manner is both fitting and humane.(meaning no physical or severe emotional trauma)

A teacher has no business publicly berating her students. It's crass and unprofessional. A teacher has about as much business berating her students as a doctor does making fun of his patients.

Quote:
I can see pride getting hurt by her comments but what serious harm has been done?

She's shaken public confidence in the school district; furthermore, her ability to teach effectively and keep control of her students in the classroom will be compromised. And, as a taxpayer, I don't want her blasting her opinions on "today's youth" in our children's faces. She would do well to keep her personal views on such matters to herself, or stop taking my tax money.

Quote:
Perhaps her students know how she feels about the majority of them now perhaps this will motivate, there is no justification for silencing her, especially when it is arguably a needed power in her position.

Berating students is not a "needed power," especially not berating students where the entire community can read it. If she can't motivate her pupils without resorting to verbal abuse, she should find a new career.

Quote:
Discretion about what? She is there to teach discretion never taught anyone skills on its own(aka has never helped the learning process in its application) so there is no reason to espouse it as a virtue for teachers.

She needs discretion as a public servant. Public servants without discretion get fired. And rightly so. Anyone who doesn't understand this shouldn't be a public servant.

Quote:
She did not act like a twit, she was voicing criticism in what she thought was a private setting, and it arguably should have been heard by the students anyways

She acted like a massive twit, and the students do not "need" to be insulted or verbally abused. She behaved badly in public, which is a serious no-no when you're a teacher. She got canned, and she deserved it. Teachers who cannot maintain their professionalism, either through deliberate action or gross stupidity, need not be teachers. I hope she enjoys her new job at "Burger King" where she can be as crass as she wishes.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)