The Top 5 Best BILL PAYING JOBS For People With Aspegers

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2011, 2:51 pm

What are the best bill-paying JOBS for people with AS.
I want to make the distinction, we've all likely read about how computers and accounting would be good choices.

However, I am sure there are MANY AS people like me, with liberal arts degrees, who can't find career related work in our fields and do not have PC skills or accounting credentials.
We are feeling pressure to get any kind of work that pays the bills.
This is difficult for anybody, moreso for us AS because the typical NT would get:
-A sales job
-Customer service phone rep job at the cable company
-Wait tables
-Be a cashier
-A teller

Each of these, HORRIBLE choices for us with AS because we have limited short term memory and people skills.

So for people like me, 27, liberal arts degree with no related career work in sight (thank you economy) and who need work to pay the bills...can you list the best choices we have?
Thanks.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Feb 2011, 3:14 pm

What's a "liberal arts degree"? :?

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 3:14 pm

I'm having a similar problem right now. I'm in high school and they like us to decide what we are going to do early so we can make post-secondary plans and whatnot. It seems like all the jobs require math or social skills. It's frustrating!

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 3:27 pm

bluecountry wrote:
I want to make the distinction, we've all likely read about how computers and accounting would be good choices.

However, I am sure there are MANY AS people like me, with liberal arts degrees, who can't find career related work in our fields and do not have PC skills or accounting credentials.
We are feeling pressure to get any kind of work that pays the bills.
This is difficult for anybody, moreso for us AS because the typical NT would get:
-A sales job
-Wait tables
-Be a cashier
-A teller

Each of these, HORRIBLE choices for us with AS because we have limited short term memory and people skills.

So for people like me, 27, liberal arts degree with no related career work in sight (thank you economy) and who need work to pay the bills...can you list the best choices we have?
Thanks.

As I always say to posts like this, your list is BS.

I am fairly good at sales, am quite good at talking to people in a professional manner, and have a decent short term memory. And I'm diagnosed with Asperger's. Get that.

When it comes to good jobs, it depends on the person in question. I'm an alright IT technician, for example, but many Aspies have different interests, hobbies, and skills, and would therefore be crap at such a job.

We're different people with different talents. Threads like this which try to trivialise and generalise us are epic fail.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 3:35 pm

I know that when I was in HS, years ago, they wanted us to pick an occupation early, and it had to be prestigious and high paying and yada yada (I went to the rich kids' school) and require a lot of college.

They gave us a test our freshman year that supposedly told us which type of college we were suited for (from community to Ivy league) and we were encouraged to shoot for whatever the test told us to do. I was supposedly suited for a four year, public university, like the CSU system in California, where I went to high school. (California has University of California and California State University, which are two separate systems, UC for elites and CSU for average kids.)

So I took two years of foreign language, two years of PE (I HATED PE!) and so on. If I hadn't had undiagnosed dyscalculia I might have made it to either there or a lower level private university like USC. But since I flunked algebra, I went to community college. Considering the difficulty I had there, it's just as well I didn't apply to a university.

My advice to kids today, if you don't want to be unemployed, learn a hard skill, like auto repair or plumbing. All the smart kids who went to elite universities and wound up with worthless humanities degrees probably wish they'd done that-the plumbers are making more money. There simply isn't much demand for office help nowadays, especially the type of office help that so many college grads are, where all they do is gossip, backstab, and sleep around, and expect a hefty salary for it. I eventually learned a trade, computer repair. I also know my way around an engine pretty well.

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2011, 3:56 pm

^^^^^I agree....with an exception.

If you go to college...major in:
-Computers
-Architecture
-Engineering
-Stats
-Health Sciences
-Accounting/Finance

AND SKIP humanities. Those liberal arts degrees are worthless, inflated sheets of paper used to subsidize tenured professors useless research on inane topics that nobody cares about.

Back to the OP's question please.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2011, 3:59 pm

bluecountry wrote:
-A sales job
-Wait tables
-Be a cashier
-A teller

No, those are badly paying jobs which involve dealing with the unpleasant people we call the public.

Try CEO (reckon Bill Gates is on the spectrum?), head of government (ex British Prime Minister Gordon Brown might be), college professor (Temple Grandin). Anyone on this list maybe.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

bluecountry wrote:
AND SKIP humanities. Those liberal arts degrees are worthless, inflated sheets of paper used to subsidize tenured professors useless research on inane topics that nobody cares about.
Ah, question answered. :lol:
(and I agree with your statement too)

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 4:32 pm

I would like to get a part time job if I can find one. All in all I did okay at walmart as an electronics salesperson, but it was often overwhelming and I ended up getting fired because of a meltdown I had. I think the next job I get should be lower stress.. I could probably do the salesperson thing okay, without being overwhelmed so often, if it was a smaller environment like a pet shop or bookstore. I think I also probably was working too many hours(I was part time, but still worked about 32 hours a week). Something like 20-25 hours would probably work out better. I can't think of many jobs I could do now(without a degree or anything yet).. I've applied at places like pet shops and didn't have any luck. Good jobs for "unskilled" people with ASD are hard to find, and then it's even harder to get through the interview.. And then even if you do that, there's a chance it could be more demanding than you thought, and you might have to quit. :( it sucks.

SpatzieLover
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2011, 7:08 pm

bluecountry,

What are your skills? What are your main interests? How could you use your skills to DO your interests everyday & get paid? I ask this because it's really the MOST important thing to creating long-term stability.

With my husband, there wasn't a choice. He is an electronic guy. He has other interests: Weather, films, general earth science. had he had an early diagnosis and a supportive family, he would have chosen to be a meteorologist. He did get diagnosed until this month, (age 35) so he took the easiest path he could and is a successful Network Engineer.

Our 5yr old is blessed with an early diagnosis, informed/educated parents, and home school. From the time he could talk he INFORMED us he was born to be an artist. That's pretty much his biggest interest. We have been informed by the experts we pay, to keep him busy with real art supplies and allow him to use art to express himself as much as possible.

I think it's important to realize you need to use your Aspieness as much as you can to your benefit.

I love those who do not know how to live for today. ~Nietzsche

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 7:15 pm

I have no idea what the best jobs for people with AS are but in my personal opinion I think the best job for someone like me would be working in a small company, a job related to my hobbies/passion and possibly a job with little social interaction. To get all three of those would be great but I think in the real world I find myself picking two. I'm currently unemployeed and a full time student (41 hours per week). I've been to alot of interviews, they are the worst! Depending on what you say during the interview, it may or may not get you a job. A person with excellent people skills is more likely to get the job than somebody with poor people skills aka me. I'm trying to improve my people skills so I will get a job and also when I finsh my degree I'm going to study a business/ IT degree. Hopefully it will pay off

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2011, 7:15 pm

You could work in trademarks

SpatzieLover
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2011, 7:19 pm

coldblooded,

My husband did VERY WELL when he was on his own for a couple of years in these jobs:
*FEDEX office (was Kinko's at the time)
*Computer voice tech support (phone job)
*Warehouse Order Filling

When I asked my husband for an answer he said you'd do best with the above and added:
*Barnes & Noble or a small local place
*Light Office clerical work (many offices---accountants/lawyers/doctors need help with scanning, copying, filing and will REALLY help with reference letters!! ! In my husband's brother's case, they also helped give great tips on picking future employers)

We both agree....BEST BUY & Wal-Mart are NOT the places for you to find a paycheck from. You will quickly be overstimulated and overwhelmed. Do you have a hobby/special interest that you are knowledgeable about?

SpatzieLover
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

Quote:
I'm trying to improve my people skills so I will get a job and also when I finsh my degree I'm going to study a business/ IT degree. Hopefully it will pay off

Ashuahhe, You need to practice interview questions with an honest friend or family member. Before my husband did his interviews we spent a good week of work. He'd print out the sample interviews, practice what he wanted to say, then I'd act as the interviewer and give him tips to remember.

You need to practice looking people in the eye (otherwise they'll think you're dishonest/shifty), casually smiling, and if you don't know what else to do with your hands either bring props or keep them folded on your lap (the props: A pen and NICE notepad in a leather notepad holder...this helped my husband keep questions for the interviewers in, too. It helps if you ask questions so you know if you would feel comfortable in their work environment).

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Feb 2011, 7:26 pm

Ashuahhe wrote:
I have no idea what the best jobs for people with AS are but in my personal opinion I think the best job for someone like me would be working in a small company, a job related to my hobbies/passion and possibly a job with little social interaction.
I was lucky enough to get jobs like this twice, for electronics and IT (both special interests). I really can't think of any other situation that would make for a happy working Aspie.

Quote:
I've been to alot of interviews, they are the worst! Depending on what you say during the interview, it may or may not get you a job.
Yep. Interviews are a real torture and I've missed out on some good jobs because of a poorly handled interview. I knew I would have been fine for the jobs but the interviews fell apart on the basic communications level.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 7:27 pm

Go for nightfill. Nightfill is basically working at nighttime re-packing shelves at places like Coles, Woolworths or Big W (the American equivalent is Walmart I think). Little social interaction and doing a simple task. My boyfriend did it for a little while and found it alright. The pay is alright. I would do it myself but I have classes at night time haha