Teaching Myself: John Robison's book Be Different

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2011, 7:02 pm

I just watched John Robison's clip on his new book, "Be Different," and I heard for the first time something I always thought about myself: I always teach myself. Classroom settings are never right for me. I learn differently.....but I think, better! John said that he had to learn to teach himself because his teachers wouldn't or couldn't understand how to teach him. The part that really got me was that he said he learned by watching others. I am often reminded of the feeling I have in myself that, as I tried to figure out how to behave in life, I would watch others. I often felt like I was taking a test and cheating, because I didn't know how to do some of the simplest things. Creening my neck over to see someone else's paper and acting like I knew how to do that simple social thing, especially. We are so blessed to have the internet now and this site, and to be able to share with each other these similar experiences and know that we are not alone.

Yours truly,

WonderWoman

SpatzieLover
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2011, 8:39 pm

I really can't wait to read this book.

We're home schooling our 5yr old. It has become abundantly clear that he prefers minimal instruction with NO review. We had signed him up for various classes from infancy on (swimming/dancing/music-etc) and he seemed frustrated regularly. Once he got brave enough he finally blurted out "Why don't they teach me anything new? It's the same thing every time I come!"

I love those who do not know how to live for today. ~Nietzsche