How do you treat your S.A.D. Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SpatzieLover
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2011, 8:25 pm

It has come to our attention from our psychologist that our son appears to be suffering from symptoms of SAD. She let us know that many of her AS patients are either affected by seasonal changes due to transition issues, have symptoms of SAD, or need treatment for SAD throughout the year.

We purchased a Go-Lite (small blu light therapy unit) and have added LOTS of supplements to our sons already healthy diet. His symptoms have improved greatly. I'm just trying to be a pro-active as possible before the next seasonal change. Last spring he had off the charts anxiety (prior to his diagnosis) which we now attribute to SAD.

Is there anything that helps you? Do you prepare yourself in advance? Or does it just hit you?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I love those who do not know how to live for today. ~Nietzsche

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 8:31 pm

Vitamin D supplementation may help.

The lack of sunlight is the most obvious factor, but even our indoors and clothes covered lifestyles also makes it harder to absorb it from the sunlight.

D3 is best synthesised by the body.

http://www.naturalnews.com/027345_Vitam ... blood.html

Katiebun2281
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2011, 8:51 pm

The ways I myself deal with SAD are to:

Exercise daily for 30-40 minutes
Meditate, I have a DVD by Barbara Biziou that I use daily and it has helped trememdously
Spend time outdoors in the sun and fresh air
Be open and upfront about my needs and wants
Give myself permission to have an odd day
Color
Drink Hot Cocoa

These are just some tricks and tips that I have tried and found that they have helped me a lot. I hope these help your son.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 8:58 pm

+ 1

Meditation is a great thing.

Also consider putting a few plants around the house, as when the windows are shut due to cold weather the air quality worsens and can impact our health.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 9:05 pm

It just hits me for the most part - mine effects me as sudden DEEP depression late evenings (8pm) in winter, I'm normally a cheery person so never suffered depression or even felt sad before SAD started effecting me a few years ago...granted now that's a different story. As it's so infrequent I don't do much to prevent it, although I do suspect it may be adding to depression/anxiety at the moment, however...

If I was to do something about it I would firstly address any sleeping issues - ASD folks tend to be lacking in melatonin, which is also linked with SAD, and both are linked with sensitivity to light and environmental changes, so I would focus more on regulating sleeping patterns and most importantly of course is restful sleep. Do everything possible to get good sleeping patterns.

As well as light therapy units have black-out blinds and use the two together, with natural light, to get a good light/dark ratio going to essentially trick the body - plus lots of outdoors when possible. Black-out blinds have been essential for me due to messed-up sleeping patterns, for avoiding street lights in particular...be aware of dark lit rooms in the day or lights shining under his doors at night.

Lots of plants and colour on the walls - okay, I'm going with the colour = happy idea here, but generally speaking it may be of benefit with SAD given as SAD is contributed to by the general miserableness of dull winter months so lots of orange, red and yellow can be helpful plus lots of lush indoor plant, hell paint his bedroom yellow or sky blue!

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Katiebun2281

19 Feb 2011, 9:09 pm

Here is the name of my meditation Dvd that has helped me so much.

Momentary Meditations By Barbara Biziou

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 11:22 pm

Regular excercise is the most effective therapy for my SAD. 40-50 minutes of aerobic excercise at least 3 times per week does the trick for me. (I swim indoors.)

However, a high carb diet will swirl me down into the SAD even with the excercise. I follow a Zone regimine Oct through April. Every meal includes approx 30% protien, 30% fat & 40% carbs. It prevents swings in blood sugar.

I've been aware of my SAD for about 30 years and know that my emotional health is 100% within my own control. During the winters I practice good excercise and eating habits, I do very well and the winters wherein I'm undisciplined, I become mired in depression. No year has proven an exception to this rule of cause & effect.

Sleep is probably important, as Bloodheart pointed out. I get 8 hours of sleep.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 11:50 pm

Aloha shirts. I occasionally wear a bright (the brighter the better) tropical print shirt in the middle of winter. It makes people smile. Sort of an act of defiance towards the snow and cold winds.

Ashley_May
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2011, 1:38 am

My Seasonal Depression is in full swing... and I have recently "remembered" my self imposed remedies:

>6000 mg of fish oil (6x1000 mg capsules)
>4000 iu's of Vitamin D (There are several Naturopathic Doctors out there that recommend more than the standard 1000 iu's, such as www.mercola.com... also, google Kevin Trudeau)
>A Multi-B Vitamin **Make sure it is a high quality one***
>Due to vegetarianism and generally limited diet, keeping close tabs on my Iron and Zinc intake
>30+ minutes with a Blu-Lite lamp every morning, like the lamp the original poster described
>Going out for "coffee runs" to either Tim Hortons or Starbucks via transit. Also, taking the bus to either destination enables me to get that extra fresh air and whatever sunlight is shining through (helps too, that I do not own a car)
>As partially mentioned above, making myself get out of the house... for whatever reason!
>Long walks
>Significantly limiting my sugar/carb intake
>Keeping a Thankfulness log. Every night before bed, I write down what I am thankful for in a little journal. Could be a conversation I had, seeing a friend downtown, chivalry, sunshine, my cats, etc
>Having some sort of social network in place, such as someone I trust of whom I can talk to regularly

Also, a month ago, I painted my room to a much brighter and calmer colour, after four long years. It used to be Navy Blue and Wine Purple... now it is a Latte brown!