Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 2:43 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:
Learn C programming language in 24 hours

Sure, I'll learn C in 24 hours. Just after I build a suspension bridge in three days, and get my PhD in computer science next week, and launch a 20-minute trip to the Andromeda Galaxy with a $10 spaceship that I built by myself during my most recent computer hardware class.

LOL if you can do that i will meet up with you ;)

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 2:44 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:
Learn C programming language in 24 hours

Sure, I'll learn C in 24 hours. Just after I build a suspension bridge in three days, and get my PhD in computer science next week, and launch a 20-minute trip to the Andromeda Galaxy with a $10 spaceship that I built by myself during my most recent computer hardware class.

You have plenty of time since you mastered sarcasm yesterday.

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2011, 3:10 pm

Moog wrote:
A lot of people speak English. English is good for communicating with others and self programming.

English is honestly not that great for communication. Not as bad as Chinese or Japanese, though.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 8:08 am

How crucial is it to learn ASP.Net as far as job prospects go?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 11:53 am

I use C++ mainly. I've also learnt Swift in the last few years, but that's mainly a scripting language for parallel processing on clusters and supercomputers.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 4:20 pm

I use R, it's very useful in the Biotech field (PERL to :)). R is a pretty sweet language, it's pretty easy to define your own functions and all the fun stuff, but it's more for scripts.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2011, 11:44 pm

As an abstract reading I would suggest the book Design Patterns which will help regardless of the programming language you decide on.

Also I would add Java into the mix you are already doing. C# is similar so many things will feel familiar.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 3:29 am

The thing that languages do is create a universe.

If that universe is close to the results you want to produce, then the language is useful to you.

If it's not, then the normal process is to add in some building blocks that help to translate from the language you're using to the results you want to produce.

C is good because the results it produces are close to the machine language you're using. It's bad because that can be a long way from the results you want to produce.

Java is good because... well, because it's easy to write. It's not really close to any results you'd want to produce, but that's ok because there are lots of building blocks to bridge the gaps.

XQuery is good because it's close to your data and close to the XHTML you want to put onto your browser.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 4:12 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

It depends... Do you want to write server code?

I will recommend what I always do for general programming: C++ and Python.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 12:34 pm

Burzum wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

About what percent of Programming/Jobs involve writing server code?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 3:27 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Burzum wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

More and more these days. Web apps are replacing all kinds of old desktop apps.

If you want to learn to learn web programming there's really no need to learn a huge list of languages. I would start by picking an MVC framework like ASP.NET MVC, Ruby on Rails, or Django, and learning whatever language the framework is in. Once you learn one, another can be picked up pretty quickly and easily. The hardest part is getting used to the statelessness of the web and learning how to recreate state for each subsequent HTTP request. An MVC framework should force you to learn how to do state management right, as opposed to ASP.NET Web Forms which have some features that are commonly abused by new web programmers. You will need to learn HTML and CSS, and also web design best practices (much harder than learning a programming language, IMO). You will also want to learn Javascript and AJAX (and how to use a javascript library like jQuery). You'll need SQL, too, but that's about it. It would be a waste of time to learn the syntax of a bunch of random languages. You're time would be better spent learning about new algorithms, data structures, concurrency, etc. in a language you already know the basics of.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 1:53 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

There isn't one answer for this as the field of "programming jobs" covers an awful lot of ground. A potential short (and probably useless) answer is "get at least a little comfortable with the concept of remote procedure calls."