Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 12:00 am

Of course. Music can stimulate the release of endorphins. That's one of the best things about reaching that point of musicianship where you can get that feeling

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 4:05 am

I get frustrated more often than I feel elated. It's usually when I'm improvising and I just can't summon the creativity. I notice the same patterns and tendencies where there should be spontaneity and originality. On these days I cling to my musical routines too stringently.

I do have days every so often when things are clicking and the music just flows. I am free to explore the keyboard. Every phrase is well crafted and I surprise myself. The feeling I get probably compares to what you described. It is possibly the closest to happiness I can hope to get.

Cochise
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2011, 5:29 pm

I've been playing the guitar since I was 11 (now 45...). I would play all the time if I could because it feels so good. When I was younger I did and discovered that other people, while watching the tele, didn't really appreciate my enthusiasm. I also get that same elation while writing music - finding a progression that ties everything together or leads the music to another quite unexpected place.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:41 pm

Reading and writing music has always been my vice. I learn better by ear than I do by sight. I think I'm like... Dyslexic musically. :\

I can write decently if I'm given time though.

Cochise
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2011, 9:50 am

I learned to read music at a young age, but I'm very slow, both writing and reading. I've found it easier to write my own shorthand or using a multi-track recorder - just laying things down. Many great musicians are unable to read music. I love that with writing music there is no time constraint.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 3:20 pm

I'm pretty much gonna be relying on my ears and avoiding it as much as possible. I like hitting the roots and improvising from there any how.

Though I'm going to have to be fluent in all three clefs if I want to master the Viola, Bass Guitar and Tin Whistle. (Trying to be a multi-instrumentalist, y'see.) I'm sure I'll get it eventually. I can read and write in the bass clef decently.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:10 pm

Another thing I've been feeling when I've been playing instruments lately is that I am literally communicating with them. It's like my hands transfer my thoughts to the instrument and it answers back in sound. This is even with instruments I've never played before. I played the piano for the first time today. It was as if I was saying, "Hey, play this for me" and it did.

Could be 'cause my hands are already quite dextrous from playing bass, but I thought it was cool.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:16 pm

I actually developed a bit of a new scale pattern on my guitar a couple of days ago, basically it's like a pentatonic scale but all chopped up, sounds pretty good too! I'm going to start using it some more and see where it takes me.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:03 pm

Do record it if you can, I'd love to hear that!

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:06 pm

Jonsi wrote:
Do record it, I'd love to hear that!

Really?

Also I'm a bit of a Caveman when it comes to technology, so I don't really know how to upload it if I did record anything. I'd like to though.

(Basically this pattern came about through having to work around a broken string.)

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:08 pm

Yeah, really, I love hearing new things.

I'm a cave man myself. I'm only just learning about how a PA system works. D:

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:14 pm

I'm not joking.... what's a PA system?

(The idiot has landed....)

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 8:38 pm

The thing that has mostly replaced amplifiers. D:

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 7:48 am

What are the benifits of a PA system over an amplifier?

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2011, 9:54 am

A PA is a public adress amplifier. It is primarily used for vocals, acoustic guitars,etc. It is a very clean sound and not generaly used for electric guitar. ( even when "clean" you usually want a little distortion on an electric guitar).

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 4:21 pm

I play bass through it whenever I use it. I like it because of the bass boosting option on most systems. So I can hear myself over the drummer and brass.