Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 10:15 pm

...Do you get an intense feeling of elation? I just got done an hour of playing bass and bowed guitar, and let me tell you, I feel as if I've just taken the most intense drug. I feel extremely happy. I think that my main instruments are now bowed guitar and bass.

Sorry if I'm talking funny, I feel like I just had a musical orgasm and I'm just coming down off it. D:

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 10:16 pm

Hmm, can't say I do... You're strange. :P

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2011, 11:12 pm

When I play music it is one of the few times when I can shut my brain off. When I am playing with a group and improvising sometimes its almost like I am outside myself. It is the greatest drug I can imagine.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 12:08 am

not i

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 8:05 am

FJP wrote:
When I play music it is one of the few times when I can shut my brain off. When I am playing with a group and improvising sometimes its almost like I am outside myself. It is the greatest drug I can imagine.
Seems like you're the one who knows what I'm talking about. :D

Though I rarely get to perform in groups, unfortunately.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 12:36 pm

Yes, although I'm not very good at it so I've never played in a band. But I'm good enough for my own purposes.

My favorite musical sound is a jangly guitar going back and forth between just a few chords. I learned how to play guitar just so I could make this sound. It makes me happy to hear it over and over and far happier still to be making it.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 12:48 pm

I can't actually play guitar normally myself. I can only play with a bow.

I don't consider myself good enough for a band too. D:

My sightreading sucks.

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2011, 1:29 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to play the piano when I was younger and sometimes I would just like disapear into the music and it would feel like I became one with it or something. I don't really know how to explain it without sounding like a stoner :lol:
I also get the same feeling sometimes when I'm listening to a really good song.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 5:37 pm

When I have a good session on the guitar I simply feel invincible, but I more often than not get highly frustrated when I feel I am playing sloppy and I get stuck trying to do one thing perfectly and I get too absorbed with it and my playing then just gets worse and worse due to the frustration of it. It's a very vicious circle. But when I have a good session, it kind of makes it all worth it.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Dillonski
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2011, 5:53 pm

I only get that feeling if I am very good at what I am playing because I play the Electric Guitar and I am currently learning Chop Suey by System Of A Down and its a very fun and easy song to pick up. :P

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 9:57 am

Heeey, Rabbitears, just say it's an artistic flair. :P

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 7:16 pm

When I'm playing music on my own, it's like there's nothing in the world except me and the instrument - as though everything else has evaporated. It's a strange feeling, but a pleasant one.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 7:18 pm

Jonsi wrote:
Heeey, Rabbitears, just say it's an artistic flair. :P

Sounds more like I'm just being a diva.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 9:14 pm

McTell wrote:
When I'm playing music on my own, it's like there's nothing in the world except me and the instrument - as though everything else has evaporated. It's a strange feeling, but a pleasant one.

This happens to me most when I'm alone. I simply cannot play a bowed instrument or a glockenspiel alone or I'll lose myself. D:

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2011, 11:52 pm

People have used the phrase "dead to the world" to describe me when I am playing. Getting lost is a good way to describe it, and when it's good you don't want to come home. :D If I can get my tone right, and the people I am playing with can "lock in". It's pure bliss. It sounds all new agey but I call it "transcending". Its like an out of body experience . I don't think about notes or chords or scales. Its like the guitar or steel are wired right to my brain.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 12:00 am

Of course. Music can stimulate the release of endorphins. That's one of the best things about reaching that point of musicianship where you can get that feeling