Wisdom teeth extraction - experiences?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 4:46 am

Since the removal of the third molars, or "wisdom teeth" as it were, is one of the most common surgical operations that any given person must have done (over 90% of Americans), and since I just got the operation done myself, I figure I'd create this thread so that people can post their experiences with it, as well as advice, so as to tell posterity to calm the hell down, it's not that bad.

Anyways, I'll begin.

I got my teeth out Friday morning, about 2 days ago. Since my LR third molar was impacted and growing back into my jawbone, they recommended a general anesthetic to K.O. me completely... something I did not mind, as I did not think I could stomach being conscious throughout the operation anyways.

I fasted for about 8 hours, starting at midnight the previous night, so as not to have anything in my stomach (apparently having food in your stomach while under anesthesia is a very bad thing to do). I ate half a box of orange-glazed chicken left over from the Chinese place I had eaten at earlier that day, this was around 2330 the previous night so that was ok. Afterwards I didn't even drink water. It was difficult, but I managed.

After going to the doctor's office and getting paperwork done, etc., I was treated to one of those cheezy informational videos describing the operation as well as pre and post-op doctor's orders. After that, they called me into the operation room, where they proceeded to strap me into the chair. At this point I started having a nervous breakdown and started laughing uncontrollably. Thankfully, the doctor struck up a conversation while preparing the IV drip with the anesthetic, and we talked for a bit about my spring break plans, my girlfriend, and my major at the university.

The IV took two tries, the first time I twitched and they missed it completely, the second time they managed to get it in and start the drip. They had sprayed some kind of refrigerant onto the skin beforehand, so it was partially frozen and did not hurt near as bad. The last thing I remember was asking the doctor about whether or not he needed an IT guy to help out at the office, then I woke up and I was on a bed somewhere, and the nurse was asking me a few questions about how I was feeling etc. I looked at my watch and it was about 1100. I remembered that it had been about 0900 when I had back to the operating room. So, pretty much a time lapse of two hours.

They wheeled me out to the car in a wheelchair, as I was still groggy from the anesthesia and my lower jaw was completely numb from the local anesthetic they had given me. Dad got me a vanilla shake from McDonalds on the trip back, I remember it dribbling down my shirt as I drank it because I couldn't move my lower lip.

After I got home, I had to keep sticking gauze in my mouth to stop the bleeding. I also took some painkillers and an antibiotic. The painkillers were narcotics, and came with warnings about addictiveness. They also made me drowsy, and I slept pretty much all that day. Sometimes I would get up and eat some jello, which was the only thing I could swallow.

On day two the LR part of my jaw started to swell, and I was still bleeding from that part. The other three were ok, however. I kept bleeding up until just recently. Toward the end of the day I was able to gradually eat more solid foods, until eventually I upgraded to a bolognea and cheese sandwich with the crust removed. I still have a stitch in the LR socket, but it's starting to come out now. Also, the swelling has gone down a bit.

And that's about the gist of it. Definately not near as bad as I was thinking.

Anyone else want to share?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 6:33 am

My operation lasted 4 hours and I was put on painkillers for 5 days. I was also ordered to drink a lot of pop and soft foods. I wasn't too thrilled to be going back to school with a massive headache, as I thought I was a hippie back than. I was 18 and I only had a month and a half left of school, so I went back anyways.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 7:30 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:

And that's about the gist of it. Definitely not near as bad as I was thinking.

Anyone else want to share?

Whew. I cannot imagine being strapped down, but at least your doc was paying attention for you!

For my own wisdom teeth, I was given shots to numb things and then some kind of "space gas" ... and then the doc went to work ... and he later commented about the job having been something like breaking rocks out of bedrock.

I had been told to have someone else bring me to that appointment and then drive me back home, but I ignored that and went there on my own ... and then the people there would not let me leave and I ended up having to call a friend anyway.

When my friend picked me up, he asked how I was feeling and I mumbled something about feeling just fine and that I would not need to bother with filling the prescription for pain medication ... and then he laughed at me and told me that was only because I was higher than a kite. In reality, that was the very first time I had ever been under the influence of any drug, and I did not even know I was high ... but then just a few hours later I could almost not get to the pharmacy quickly enough!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 7:47 am

I did fine. I had my uppers out and needed no painkillers other than strong aspirin. My lowers as it happens don't exist. They don't show up on an x ray same as my mother.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 9:24 am

I woke up during surgery and had to scratch my nose the doctor and nurses were all freaked out and after I scratched my nose I put my hand back under the strap and went back to sleep. I remember having the lead blanket cause my legs were jumping. I ask to have that now when I have long dental procedures more than half hour and the dentist appreciates it too cause I stay relaxed. I was allergic to the painkiller and just took motrin. I had bruises all over my face. Plus they came in horizontal. I was told they had to hammer the teeth apart to get them out, so much for souvenirs.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 12:41 pm

I had a molar at the back, I think it was a wisdom tooth pulled out under just local.

It was an odd experience, I could hear the tooth cracking. I think it was as the dentist loosened it. It came out whole, it was a tooth which had become damaged. The dentists had tried to fix it several times but it never was right. In the end the dentist wanted well over $1000 to do one tooth (root canal, then crown) so I had it pulled instead at a much lower price.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 5:28 pm

I had all four wisdom teeth out a year and a half ago-HORRIBLE in that I got dry sockets of course they don't tell you the symptoms, it was pure hellish pain for a week,had to get soothing slave strips applied and taken off with tweezers,it was awful.
MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR POSSIBLE SYMPTOMS OF DRY SOCKETS!! ! I had screaming pain in my ears for 6 days!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 5:42 pm

I only had 2 wisdom teeth, which made it half as bad as it might've been, I suppose.

As far as anesthesia, they called it "twilight sedation," though it blacked out my memory so I can't recall the procedure at all. It sounds similar, though there were no straps on the chair (that would've been a little freaky). I have fragments of memory of being told to take a deep breath, but nothing else.

I think I was overly sensitive to the drugs -- I couldn't get out of the chair by myself afterward, and I couldn't walk to my mother's car without 2 dental assistants propping me up. And, when I got home I sat down in a recliner and fell asleep for 14 hours. Then, I got up and went to the bathroom, and then slept for another 8 hours.

On the upside, I never had to take any of the pain pills they gave me. When I woke up there was no detectable pain. Maybe being asleep for so long and thus not eating for about a day allowed for some critical healing to occur.

Overall it wasn't bad at all, but the drugs.... wow, man (very powerful).

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2011, 11:23 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Since the removal of the third molars, or "wisdom teeth" as it were, is one of the most common surgical operations that any given person must have done (over 90% of Americans), and since I just got the operation done myself ...

This may not be true. A lot of medical professionals are now saying that wisdom tooth extraction is a painful and unneccesary procedure. See this link which refers to a study published in the British Medical Journal.

My dentist has been telling me for ten years I needed to have mine extracted. First they were "impacted" and were going to cause me pain. I didn't want to go through the insanely expensive procedure and I smelled a rat, so I didn't have it done. Years passed with no problems.

Now that his dire predictions never came true, he's singing a different tune, telling me they're going to become infected if I don't have them removed. I asked him how the gaping holes in my mouth following the surgery would not be way more vulnerable to infection than my naturally occurring wisdom teeth.

He didn't have an answer.

For the record I only stay with him because my mom designed his house and the visits are free.

I also "had" to have braces, well I wore them in high school for a week and couldn't tolerate them and had them removed. My teeth are fine and I saved my parents, I don't know, about five grand?

All of these dental procedures are little more than scams much of the time, and orthodontists/dentists are making a killing off of hard-working families. Don't fall for it! If your wisdom teeth aren't bothering you leave them alone!

********************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 1:18 am

mi padre is a dentist so he did my operation. I got all 4 taken out at once and let me tell you it hurt like hell for a while. Food would get stuck in the holes so i had to wash it out with a syringe everyday otherwise it would start rotting in my mouth (yuck!)

Darth_Aspie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2011, 1:52 am

I had two removed due to a bad infection in the lower right tooth. They had grown out normally, so I opted for local anesthesia only. The procedure was only slightly uncomfortable (less that I thought it would be, despite the surgery condensing to "pull real hard till they come out"). I somehow ended up with almost no pain afterward, though there was a slight infection around a week later.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 3:20 pm

I had a very good dentist years ago, I asked him if my wisdom teeth were OK to have in my mouth. He said as long as they are not causing pain or playing up in other ways then it is OK to leave them in your mouth.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 3:29 pm

No problems here. Just knocked me out for 10 minutes, yanked them and I was on my way home.

Wife bought me a toasted meatball sub on the way home. :huh:

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 1:35 am

Just an update" about half a week after the procedure, everything's pretty much healed EXCEPT for the freaking lower-right part of my jaw, the one where they had to cut it out of the bone. Now I think I have dry socket. I've been taking aspirin all day, once it wears of it hurts like a motherf***er.

I'm now able to eat solid foods, though I found out the hard way after eating some of mom's pasta that food with small crumbs, such as ground meat, tends to get stuck back there where it sits there and burns.

I'll be glad when this is all over. Hopefully I don't get an infection, 'cause I'm visiting Suiseiten in a couple of weeks and I want to be able to kiss her without having to worry about this s**t.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2011, 10:17 pm

I had to have 3 molars removed simultaneously. The first was on the upper left, and had died years after a root canal. The other two consisted of the lower right impacted wisdom, and the subsequent cracked molar next to it. I had an infection that was so bad, they did not stitch the wound so it could drain. I had a gigantic open gash inside of my mouth. I was obsessed with developing dry socket the entire time. I only consumed pudding, apple sauce, soup, and Spaghettio's for about 10 days because of this obsession.

I was prescribed Vicodin but was informed by the pharmacist that it was generally identical to Codeine, which I am allergic to. When the local anesthetic subsided, I popped two Advil and that was all she wrote! I have a fairly high pain threshold and I am sensitive to any medication since I never take any unless I feel it is absolutely necessary.

k2magic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2011, 10:54 pm

i have had two of mine removed at separate times (about 6months apart) only because of insurance not covering it unless you are in pain doesn't matter if its going to do worse damage later to them apparently. I just got a couple of shots of Novocain and was awake through both procedures. the first one was bad because it took a good half and hour they had to break it so many times to get it out. it was the strangest feeling when he broke it cause i could feel and hear the crack when it broke. it hurt my jaw really bad and i could barely open it for a few weeks afterward. the second one was so easy they broke it 2 or 3 times and stitched me up and that was it. the only problem with that one was the stitches didn't want to come out fast enough and i ended up pulling them out. I had Vicodin for both and I needed it just for my jaw so that i could sleep.

I still have both top wisdom teeth but they aren't even close to coming in yet but theres no space for them so ill be getting those out eventually too!

has anyone else gotten wisdom teeth out without being knocked out?