Wisdom teeth extraction - experiences?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

k2magic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2011, 10:54 pm

i have had two of mine removed at separate times (about 6months apart) only because of insurance not covering it unless you are in pain doesn't matter if its going to do worse damage later to them apparently. I just got a couple of shots of Novocain and was awake through both procedures. the first one was bad because it took a good half and hour they had to break it so many times to get it out. it was the strangest feeling when he broke it cause i could feel and hear the crack when it broke. it hurt my jaw really bad and i could barely open it for a few weeks afterward. the second one was so easy they broke it 2 or 3 times and stitched me up and that was it. the only problem with that one was the stitches didn't want to come out fast enough and i ended up pulling them out. I had Vicodin for both and I needed it just for my jaw so that i could sleep.

I still have both top wisdom teeth but they aren't even close to coming in yet but theres no space for them so ill be getting those out eventually too!

has anyone else gotten wisdom teeth out without being knocked out?

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 11:02 pm

i got all of my wisdom teeth out before they started growing in as an xray showed they would come in impacted. i was under general anesthesia for the procedure and all i remember clearly is waking up with these horrible huge wads of gauze in my mouth that felt terrible and i have never been so uncomfortable or so dehydrated in my life. i didn't know what was in my mouth and i panicked wanting whatever it was not to be there. i wished someone would have warned me that i would wake up with my mouth stuffed with gauze because i didn't understand what i was feeling in my mouth. that was a far bigger ordeal for me than the pain.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 12:11 am

Well, now the area where my LR tooth was has started bleeding profusely. I'm biting down on some gauze to stop it, but it seems to only make it worse.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:48 am

I had all 4 wisdom teeth out when I was 16. The local anesthetic shots were horrible, but I was on nitrous oxide (laughing gas) so that helped. I remember listening to the music playing from the overhead speaker and thinking that it sounded like something from an NES game. At one point, the doctor pried one of my teeth out and it flew out of my mouth onto the floor and he said "Ahhh! Flying teeth!" He and the helpers had a good laugh and so did I thanks to the nitrous.

I didnt have a problem with dry sockets or pain even though I was only prescribed a large dose of ibuprofen. I would definitely recommend nitrous, it made it almost amusing. Also, I tell people to eat as much crunchy food as possible in the week leading up to it.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2011, 4:01 pm

I was 16 when I had all 4 removed surgically because some of them were impacted and would have caused me problems if I didn't get them out when I did. The thing I remember was that after the IV went in, I felt dizzy and slept through the entire surgery and woke up in the recovery area probably a couple of hours later with gauze in my mouth. My mom stopped at the closest fast food place to get me a shake, and I had to have cold soft food for a few days. I was still groggy from the anesthesia when I got home, and almost passed out while walking to the bathroom. I missed 3 days of school as the surgery was in the morning, and I needed an extra 2 days to recover completely. I never did have dry socket because the impacted teeth were actually cut out, so I had stitches.

I had some prescription strength Tylenol and something to reduce swelling, and I just remember that one of the drugs instantly started dissolving as soon as I put it in my mouth, which made taking that pill disgusting. The thing that really hurt was when I had to go back a week or so later so they could remove the stitches that didn't dissolve. Looking back, I'm glad that was done, as I've known people who had issues later on with impacted wisdom teeth.