Dangers of teenage sitcoms for young aspie guys

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:12 pm

Nathan is a very attractive young man. 8)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

emlion wrote:
Nathan is a very attractive young man. 8)

:P

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:14 pm

LOL. One of my faovurite bits in the whole thing. :heart:
I haven't seen it since it was on TV.
I may watch it again.
Thanks for the reminder of the show. 8)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:16 pm

emlion wrote:
LOL. One of my faovurite bits in the whole thing. :heart:
I haven't seen it since it was on TV.
I may watch it again.
Thanks for the reminder of the show. 8)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/misfits/4od

Enjoy :D

One more thing...

:P

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:18 pm

haha love it.
thanks! :)

Major_G
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

I didn't get tha message, OP - I unfortunately believed the OTHER message they gave: That if you tried hard enough & proved yourself worthy, that you could eventually win over the girl of your dreams.

It took me a LOOOONG time to learn that doesn't work.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Feb 2011, 5:41 am

Major_G wrote:
I didn't get tha message, OP - I unfortunately believed the OTHER message they gave: That if you tried hard enough & proved yourself worthy, that you could eventually win over the girl of your dreams.

I think I got that lesson to. I also got the one that you can get the girl by pretending to be someone or something you are not. It usually blew-up in the guy's face after a bit but the girl gave him a chance after. That lesson has worked for some of my friends but not for me. BTW we should NEVER look to SpongeBob for dating advice because we might start dating hamburgers :lol: I should take the lessons I learned from iCarly & join a gym so I can look more in shape

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:03 am

nick007 wrote:
Major_G wrote:

I think I got that lesson to. I also got the one that you can get the girl by pretending to be someone or something you are not. It usually blew-up in the guy's face after a bit but the girl gave him a chance after. That lesson has worked for some of my friends but not for me.

The lesson I was talking about in my original post references plot devices where the guy asks his girlfriend for sex, she angrily rejects him, he's humbled, and becomes content with a celibate relationship. In other words, they portray a guy wanting sex in a relationship as the most horrible thing he can do to his girlfriend.

So, I started acting like someone who would never ask for sex in a relationship, not realizing that having sex is as normal as making out (which those shows portrayed as acceptable). I was thinking that if no girl wants to have sex in a relationship, then she'll want a guy who'd never ask for it. Man, was I wrong! Acting non-sexual, almost androgynous, took me way past the friend zone and into the rejection zone. All while the producers of shows were deciding which one of their booty calls they'll invite over that night.

As for pretending to be someone you're not, it's a necessary evil. I don't want to have to do it, and I don't think many other guys do, but oftentimes, it's the only way to get a relationship started. Once it does, you can gradually go back go who you really are. And even if she dumps you because of that, you'll at least get the "benefits" of a relationship before it happens.

I wouldn't know what to comment on iCarly. I've never seen it, but based on what I heard, it's just not realistic enough. I highly doubt that most aspie guys (or girls, for that matter) go through the things that Carly goes through on the show.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 5:01 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Major_G wrote:

I think I got that lesson to. I also got the one that you can get the girl by pretending to be someone or something you are not. It usually blew-up in the guy's face after a bit but the girl gave him a chance after. That lesson has worked for some of my friends but not for me.

The lesson I was talking about in my original post references plot devices where the guy asks his girlfriend for sex, she angrily rejects him, he's humbled, and becomes content with a celibate relationship. In other words, they portray a guy wanting sex in a relationship as the most horrible thing he can do to his girlfriend.

So, I started acting like someone who would never ask for sex in a relationship, not realizing that having sex is as normal as making out (which those shows portrayed as acceptable). I was thinking that if no girl wants to have sex in a relationship, then she'll want a guy who'd never ask for it. Man, was I wrong! Acting non-sexual, almost androgynous, took me way past the friend zone and into the rejection zone. All while the producers of shows were deciding which one of their booty calls they'll invite over that night.

As for pretending to be someone you're not, it's a necessary evil. I don't want to have to do it, and I don't think many other guys do, but oftentimes, it's the only way to get a relationship started. Once it does, you can gradually go back go who you really are. And even if she dumps you because of that, you'll at least get the "benefits" of a relationship before it happens.

I wouldn't know what to comment on iCarly. I've never seen it, but based on what I heard, it's just not realistic enough. I highly doubt that most aspie guys (or girls, for that matter) go through the things that Carly goes through on the show.

Just curious but how would a girl know that you wouldn't desire sex if they weren't in a relationship with you to begin with? Also, I would of thought that a girl would ask for sex herself if she wanted a sexual relationship.

Major_G
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2011, 8:34 pm

nick007 wrote:
Same here! That never worked for me, either!

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 11:58 pm

Jono wrote:
Just curious but how would a girl know that you wouldn't desire sex if they weren't in a relationship with you to begin with? Also, I would of thought that a girl would ask for sex herself if she wanted a sexual relationship.

Well, I pretty much acted the way every "how to pick up women" book tells you not to act, at least while trying to get her to like me. I acted super nice to her; never touched her in any way, not even when making an attempt at flirting; never made any sexual jokes, not even in a good-natured way; and when asked, told people how sex is about love and feelings. My goal was to show those girls that I'd be the type of boyfriend who would never ask for sex, because I thought that's the kind of boyfriend they want. Boy, was I wrong! The way I acted the complete opposite how the popular guys at my high school acted, but having been brainwashed by those sitcoms, I actually believed that I'd find a relationship faster than they did.