Page 1 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2005, 11:05 pm

So what does everybody do for a living? I'm going to college next year and I want to know what sorts of jobs are friendly toward HFA folks (that's what I have, a bit more severe than AS).

nitraine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2005, 3:24 am

I run a video security company. Our current research in visual object recognition is my extreme interest.

I was a full-time computer engineer for two years and saved up to start a company.

Last edited by nitraine on 02 Jan 2006, 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 3:26 am

I'm a student but I earn part-time cash by doing odd jobs for the townsfolk...

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 11:34 am

The current plan for me is to just finish up college, with a BS in Mathematics. Then I'll go from there. Normally just a math degree doesn't help much with out some other knowledge on the side... engineering or computer science.

I was looking into getting a masters in statistics, and becoming a statasician. But I am still unsure if I want to do that. I wouldn't mind teaching actually, except that I absoultly dispise public schools. Plus I don't think I could handle going through the whole teach certification thing. I was looking into teaching at a private school though...

I might tutor privately too. If I could make a modest living doing this I would probably just stick to tutoring,

As long as I can make a career out of doing something with math, I'll be happy.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 1:04 pm

hmmmm - that got me thinking... what a weird and wonderful range of jobs i've had...

Last edited by vetivert on 07 Dec 2005, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2005, 1:11 pm

I am a currently a student in my first year in college, and plan to get a PhD in Astrophysics and do three years of post-doctorate studies after getting a degree in physics in 2007 or 2008.

Besides, I also do translations (French/English) and give English lessons (1::1).

I also try to be a filmmaker.

Laureanne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2005, 2:47 pm

I am a Family advocate for a social service agency. I had to learn special ed law and find resources so that my daughters could get the services they need. I have a degree in education but this is hat I am better suited for. I can empathize with the other parents regardless of the disability as the struggles are pretty much the same.
Laure

Astro

11 Jan 2005, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Vetivert wrote:
at present, i'm a teacher/lecturer/writer.

have been (in no particular order):
<yatta yatta yatta>

Wow what a list of careers! What were the top 3 that paid the bills?
How in the world were you a stand-up comedian?! Well, I can see from your postings that your wit is better than most, but sheeze, to stand up in front of people and joke? I would get immediate brain freeze and probably wet myself.

Quote:
nitraine wrote:
I run a video security company. Our current research in visual object recognition is my extreme interest.

I was a full-time computer engineer for two years and saved up to start a company.

Hey, good for you! Congratulations. I hope that works out. If you're good at what you do, that can be quite a rewarding career path.

That's similar to me. I've held exactly one job my adult life - programming (originally) and running an imaging company specializing in research biological imaging. That is, we took images from cameras hooked to microscopes and processed them. That entailed bringing out details not visible to the eye through the microscope as well as measuring the cells (or whatever was under the scope).

I don't think I could work for somebody else for long. I've got too many of my own ideas about how a company should run.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 5:02 pm

Astro wrote:
How in the world were you a stand-up comedian?! Well, I can see from your postings that your wit is better than most, but sheeze, to stand up in front of people and joke? I would get immediate brain freeze and probably wet myself.

well, it's like acting - i act all day, every day in real life, when i'm with people - remembering "lines" and "scripts" (social rules and conversational conventions), "stage directions" (body language and movements; etc. so stage work is just an extension of that. everyone said i should have been an actor (and a writer, and a musician, yada, yada, yada), but i was so logical at 13, i chose my options in science (first girl in the school EVER to do only sciences - this was 30 years ago), as i knew i couldn't do science as a hobby (electron microscopes and particle accelerators being a little out of my pocket). and so stand-up was just an extension of that, really. i just used to get on stage and do bizarre characterisation with music at one point (as a joke to start with, for an AIDS benefit - then the telephone started ringing with bookings...) and i went on to straight stand-up, where i just got on stage and went on about my bizarre take on life - looking at things from a different perpective. sound familiar? and it paid bloody well. i loved it but, as usual, got bored after a year or so. shame. i'm told i was very good. and brain freeze/wetting myself on stage would probably have gone down quite well - you need a gimmick, believe me.

am also a bit of a qualification junkie.

now, what shall i do next...?

Last edited by vetivert on 07 Dec 2005, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astro

11 Jan 2005, 7:29 pm

cool! thanks for sharing. I bet a bunch of here would have liked to see you perform.
<edited>
Hmm, maybe I should rephrase that. :oops:

I bet a bunch of us here would have liked to see your stand-up comedy routine.

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2005, 8:33 pm

I'm in an entry-level program working as a Financial Management Analyst for the Department of Defense. Government jobs are generally nice to have if you can come by one.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2005, 3:09 am

freudian slip, astro?

rofl !

aspaware
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2005, 2:51 pm

public health staff nurse for children and young people. Used to work in hospital on childrens ward

very rewarding work but very tiring

jman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2005, 12:59 pm

I'm in school for information technology, but I work part time in the mental health field as a residential aide. Both of these purtain to my special interests :lol:

Justin

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2005, 1:03 pm

I'm in programming myself - possibly just about the perfect career for "one of us" I reckon, and reasonably lucrative too :)

Vision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2005, 2:14 pm

I work in the construction industry as an architectural technician and go to college to study the theory.