Is university a good measure of intelligence?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 9:36 pm

Intelligence is a quality and not a quantity so I never understood how it could be measured.

People show intelligence in different ways and for you, it seems the structure of the University makes it more difficult for you to show the quality of your intelligence.

I was hospitalized right before I went to university for schizo-affective disorder, so I can understand where you are coming from.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 12:00 am

I definitely don't think University/College is a good measure of intelligence. I don't really think there's a good way to measure intelligence, though.

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2011, 12:40 am

Generally the college educated crowd is more intelligent, but with the age of rampant grade inflation, and the rise of mediocre colleges and universities to meet the demand of "everyone can go to college" (translation: government has now forced you to pay $100+K of money and 4 years of time to enter the job market), not so much anymore.

I'd like to think my coworkers are pretty smart. They have a big range, too, from Ivy league and MIT grads, to voc tech grads. College education really shows nothing but an ability to commit, a moderate amount of intelligence, and the ability to sink money into an asset whose cost is growing far quicker than its return.

That being said, I still want to obtain my Masters in Statistics or Economics. Hah.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:57 pm

Yes, they've successfully devalued college and complain that there aren't enough industrial jobs. Yay us. :roll:
Naw, college is no measure of intelligence. Many will claim that, though. Beware.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:59 pm

Most my points made, but I will just say as lifelong academic - no.

Intelligence is no predictor of success in the university, success in the university is no yardstick for intelligence.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 8:15 pm

I dropped out of school at aged 13 so i never got to do the university thing. I imagine with my neurology, extremely low level of stress tolerance and mental health conditions i would find a degree hard going. I'd like to expand upon my knowledge of politics (my special interest) and also make myself more employable in this field. I only wish i considered myself capable.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 10:04 am

jamieboy wrote:
I dropped out of school at aged 13 so i never got to do the university thing. I imagine with my neurology, extremely low level of stress tolerance and mental health conditions i would find a degree hard going. I'd like to expand upon my knowledge of politics (my special interest) and also make myself more employable in this field. I only wish i considered myself capable.

I think you can do it, because I think everyone's got inner strength. What conditions do you have? I've got paranoid schizophrenia which really does affect my life, but I've got a lot of support at uni.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2011, 2:03 pm

University's probably the worst place to define intelligence. If it defined mine I'd probably have an IQ of 68 based on my transcript and current grades alone, regardless of the fact that my brain absorbs info like a sponge.

I don't know what the UK system is like but in the US it's memorization without much explanation, knowing the right people, and high test scores mean you're smart even if you don't retain anything. With your IQ you'd probably do well without college (but I'm not saying to drop out!).

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 2:45 pm

We live in an age of mediocrity and university is no exception. There are plenty of stupid, lazy and inarticulate people in university. And most of these do not have any disability unless being a thoughtless moron is a disability.

It is quite an achievement for someone with schizophrenia to be studying at university. You should be proud as should all of us who have problems that most people don't have to cope with.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2011, 12:23 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
My question is (after this long post) - is university really a measure of intelligence? My friend doesn't think so but I am not so sure.

According to my parents who used to teach in one... not even remotely. I've listened to many an hour of "Honestly, if this is a Bachelor's level paper we might as well just start putting them in cereal boxes at this point" and similar themes. :lol: