I have a high pain tolerance, no one believes me

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2012, 3:54 am

DavidForthoffer wrote:
ocdgirl123 wrote:
...I am worrying that people think I am like her.
Prediction: If you worry about things like that, you will spend your whole life worrying.

My advice (from an old fart): Live your life—not theirs or hers.

True.

How does "I have a high pain tolerance" even come up in normal conversation? They don't need to know, you don't need to tell.
Also, a lot of people say "I have a high pain tolerance." Then, they freak out over a minor paper cut. Most people don't have quite a high pain tolerance as they say. Their reactions might not have anything to do with you-- and if it does, it's probably in how you say it. If someone thinks you're bragging about something or being smug, they'll say "no you don't" to what you're saying more.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Jul 2012, 4:04 am

High pain tolerance doesn't always mean not feeling pain, but may mean not showing many effects from it. I can function sort of during a migraine and someone observing may conclude I am experiencing less pain and impairment from said pain than I am because of how I function.

However, it is also my experience that most people with chronic pain of some sort have a higher pain tolerance than the general population, and put up with pain every day that would have many able-bodied people moaning in bed about how much their life sucks. I mean, imagine feeling like you have the flu all the time. And then you catch a flu on top of that.