Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 2:12 am

Vigilans wrote:
Well, they could pronounce it 'Fa-chay buuk', that sounds vaguely Middle-Eastern...

Actually, that sounds more Italian.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:34 am

League_Girl wrote:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/02/egyptian-man-names-his-baby-girl-facebook.html

If you can't imagine your child at age 40 walking into an office with a particular name then don't name your child that.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:52 am

A woman in America actually named her daughter Latrine.
Another thought the word Placenta sounded nice so that is what she called her daughter. :roll:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:14 pm

I wonder if he will name his next kid Myspace or Bebo or Twitter or Skype? :lol:

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 11:39 pm

Idiotchief wrote:
Any one remember the dad who named his kid Espn?

Yes! The parents were fairly avid ESPN fans from what I remember. I think they pronounced it as "Espin" as compared to ESPN. I still don't understand the logic behind naming people after famous things like ESPN, Facebook, or others. I remember one of my friends who told me that some non-English speakers, for a study, were asked which English words sounded the most beautiful (without knowing their meanings). Chlamydia was one of the top on the list. I would be embarrassed for the person named Chlamydia if they ever moved to an English-speaking part of the world.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:44 am

Xeno wrote:
That is pure child abuse.

Oh yeah? What about my brother Sh*t-Head? Or what about Judge Sheldon Schmucker of the third federal circuit court? With a name like Schmucker, he has to be good.

How about Moon Unit Zappa? Did Frank Zappa do child abuse?

Or what about a Boy named Sue?

ruveyn

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2011, 4:31 pm

One my sister friends last name is Hooker and he always joked that if he had a girl he would name her Iwanna Hooker.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Xeno wrote:

Oh yeah? What about my brother Sh*t-Head? Or what about Judge Sheldon Schmucker of the third federal circuit court? With a name like Schmucker, he has to be good.

ruveyn

I almost forgot Kal-El, Nicolas Cage's son.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I wonder if he will name his next kid Myspace or Bebo or Twitter or Skype? :lol:

Skype sounds good. That is not a bad name at all.

What about Smeagol, Morgoth or Balrog?

ruveyn

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:01 pm

Wombat wrote:
A woman in America actually named her daughter Latrine.
Another thought the word Placenta sounded nice so that is what she called her daughter. :roll:
Latrina would've sounded more fitting. As for Placenta... LOL

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:16 pm

My favorite ghetto name : 's**thead'
Pronounced 'shuh-theed'

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 2:15 am

ruveyn wrote:
Xeno wrote:

ruveyn

Moon Unit is bizarre, but at least somewhat intriguing. I'd rather be named after the moon than be named after a social cancer like Facebook.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 5:33 am

I'm naming my kid Wrong Planet ;)

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 6:35 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I'm naming my kid Wrong Planet ;)

Hahahaha! I think that would be pretty funny. I think it would be ironic if someone named their two children WrongPlanet and AutismSpeaks lol (although WrongPlanet is, I think, collaborating a bit with AutismSpeaks with their AutismTalk TV stuff).

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 4:19 pm

And people complain about little baby Adolfs. :roll:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 4:30 pm

All of which reminds me of a story.

There is this first grade on day one of the school year. The teacher asks each pupil to stand up and say his name for the rest of the class to hear. Well the kids stand up. One says - Hello I am Mary Jones. Another stands up and says - Hello, I am Stanley Martin. Then this third kid stands up and says - Hello, I am Snot-Nose Smith. The teacher says -- Now I asked you to say your name, not to be impudent. Say your name, now. The kid replies -- My name is Snot-Nose Smith. The teacher says -- If you won't say your name you must leave and don't come back unless you being your parents here to school. So the kid gets up and on his way out he stops by his twin brother's desk and says -- Come on Bull Sh*t. She won't believe you either.

Then there is the story of the young Indian brave who asks the medicine man how he picks the names for the children of the tribe. The medicine man answers --- well, I look around and see if there are any events happening in the land the day the child is born. So I come up with names like: Strong Wind, Or Rain, or Storm Cloud or Running Bear. But tell me Two Dogs F*cking, why the sudden interest in names?

ruveyn