Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Solidess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2006, 2:38 am

I don't know what to do.... :(

I hate exercise so much, and I don't have the stamina for rigorious exercise. I am a bit overweight, but more so the problem is that I am out of shape and the doctor now tells me I have a bit too much colestoral and high blood pressure. I have a very lazy lifestyle, but um, thats cause I LIKE it? lol. I don't have much energy and I hate sports and all exercise so I don't really know what I'm supposed to do.

I love videogames so I was thinking of buying that Dance Dance Revolution game. Ofcourse now I'm all confused cause there are so MANY versions and I don't know what version to get. Also, I don't know if its a good idea anyway. I don't really know where my motor skills are at, but I remember trying this game before and I did AWEFUL. I guess its the classic AS problem because, even though I'm now very good at hand/eye coordination, foot/eye is a different story!

Your mind has to do so many things at once to play this game really:

1) You listen to the music and when is the right time to dance on the buttons
2) You follow the descending arrows to know which is coming up that you have to stomp on, but you have to watch whats coming, make sure to HIT it on time, with your FOOT, and this is alot to think about for me. Also because, sometimes two feet have to be somewhere at once, so you sort of have to do a jump or a sort of thing.

Should I try it or something else? I don't know what to do. How am I supposed to get healthy if I LOATHE exercise? I don't think anyone can change my mind on it because, its so much work to get into shape, and its only when you are IN the shape where you have stamina, and you can actually LAST at playing Tennis or whatever, in where it has a chance to be fun and not feel like its gonna KILL you. >.<

My Dad wants to play Tennis with me soon but its gonna be embarrasing to be on a public court and suck so much. :(

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 2:54 am

I am overweight and don't really like exercise. The main problem with excercize for me is the inefficency of it. You do an activity, walk on a treadmill... just for the movement of your body. I would much rather accomplish something with the movement of my body, like ride a bike places or just walk around town. But then I am too much of a procrastinator to actually give myself enough time to use the slower transportation.

I've played DDR once or twice, it was pretty fun. But it would get sort of boring playing the game over and over again for the excercise I think. And I have found Guitar Hero, which is all the rhythm game I will ever need... at least untill Guitar Hero 2 comes out.

I am not completely adverse to doing physical things, I'll play volleyball or go bowling or something else with friends. But I am not that great at these games, and I get really sore the next day from this. While I am doing the activity it is fine, and I can excert myself... but the next day its pretty bad. I am embarresd to say this, but I got sore throwing around a frisbee and playing badminton once.

I guess I could just walk around town and listen to music, but then I don't really like listening to music with distractions.

My best bet for getting healthy would just be to not eat as much as I normally do. Which has worked for me a bit. It also lends itself to my laziness and procrastination, since you actually have to put forth the effort to get make/food... unless someone else makes it for you. Someone once said the truly lazy are skinny, and there is some truth to that I think.

Of course developing muscle tone is a totally different thing. Though at this point letting my muscles atrophy and losing fat would be a good thing for me.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 7:41 am

Dance. Just dance. Do it alone. Do it with a partner. Put on your favorite loud music and just do it. 10 minutes a day. More if you're having fun. Sway a little, bounce off the walls, whatever you feel like. If you can figure out a way to make it fun, you'll do it. Hope this helps.
-Mark
:jester: :heart: :jester:

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 8:44 am

You really need to change the way you percieve the process.
A lot of people view it as a sort of magic thing.
i.e. You want to be "in shape" so you do this stuff that you hate, then one day you will be there.

Try and really think about your goal.
Make yourself want it more than anything else.
Then understand that any exercise is a step in that direction.
When you exercise, focus on the way your body feels.
Don't let your mind wander off. You must use the exercise as a chance to connect with your body.
When you are in shape, this won't matter so much, but it is always a good idea.

I hope this helps some.
It is possible that one day you will genuinely enjoy exercise.
It can make you feel really great.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 9:15 am

You say you hate "all" exercise. Have you tried them all?

I dislike most exercise too, but here are the ones I do like. Note that most of them are solitary activities, or can be with an exercise video:

dancing
weightlifting
rollerblading
hiking
swimming
pilates
yoga

Try any of those you haven't, and if you're sure you hate them all, come back for more ideas. ;)

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 9:16 am

What spacemonkey said, and...

There's a psychological schemata, ABC, Affect, Behavior, Cognition. Change one and one of the other two will probably change. Change two and the third will definitely change. If you think, "I don't like my body, I need to improve it," try instead, "I love my body, I want to improve it." And if you love your body, it will show, and others will too.

:jester: :heart: :jester:

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2006, 9:40 am

I hate exercise too. My doctor ordered me to walk 20 minutes a day (no distance requirements, no speed requirements, just put in the time) after two meals of the day. Which two depends on the weather and when sunset and sunrise are sonce I am afraid to walk alone in the dark.

I made the local public park my destination. At first I could barely make it to the corner. But, as the song says, "Step by step the longest mrch can be won..." and now I can walk everywhere and not have it hurt or get tired. Believe me, this is a remarkable freedom.

In fact, I have it on my ongoing list of competencies: I can walk. People reading it would think I was either paralyzed or an infant. No. Just fat and out of shape.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 6:38 pm

I go for a walk/jog/ish thing every day. When I get tired of jogging (I live in a hilly area so I can only stand it for a few minutes at a time), I just walk. I really dislike excericse as well but that can sometimes just give you to clear your mind and think, which the fast-paced speed of many peoples' lives rarely allows. It works for me, but just that probably wouldn't be enough for everyone. I have a fast motabalism, after all....

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2006, 6:43 pm

Veresae wrote:
I go for a walk/jog/ish thing every day. When I get tired of jogging (I live in a hilly area so I can only stand it for a few minutes at a time), I just walk. I really dislike excericse as well but that can sometimes just give you to clear your mind and think, which the fast-paced speed of many peoples' lives rarely allows. It works for me, but just that probably wouldn't be enough for everyone. I have a fast motabalism, after all....

My husband was overweight and got diagnosed with high blood pressure and diabetes 2. He started walking to work (starting with shorter walks until he was up to it). He now walks 3 miles to work most days, and he lost 10% of his bodyweight, and was able to drop his meds down to minimum for blood pressure and doesn't need any meds for diabetes (in fact his blood sugar readings are great nowadays.)

Just walking is actually a really good form of exercise and is accessible to most people. You don't have to be able to run a marathon. Just walk. And after a while, you can walk further and a little bit faster.

Solidess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2006, 9:15 pm

Well, I don't really think walking is going to help me lose any weight. I was doing the gym for quite some time and I didn't get any results, so I just stopped going. Lost a lot of money from that blasted place.

Walking I don't really like to do unless I have a destination, and I'm afraid of the dogs in the neighbourhood *sigh* Guess I better think of SOMETHING.

Yeah, my motabolism is SLOW, so slow, I wish I could atleast fix that first or something and then exercise wouldn't feel like a pointless waste of time.

If I had more friends that would be great, cause if I had people I wanted to do stuff with, and they wanted me to play sports with em, I would want to do that. But when I only have myself, I don't care enough, I don't seem motivated enough. It's like, getting shape, sounds like a nice idea, WHATEVER, but I just don't care enough and its so much freakin work to do anything.

Why am I a HUMAN? I should have been born a sloth or turtle, lol.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 2:19 pm

The most effective goal reaching strategy I use is this: Make your goal into a secondary goal instead.

So instead of walking just to lose weight, enjoy the process of walking. Don't force yourself to enjoy it, you will automatically find some things you like about it.

Ever notice when you do something you enjoy, you develop other skills indirectly? Make weight loss an indirect benefit.

EaglesRNo1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2006, 8:51 am

I'm doing a 3-month workout program right now that consists of 5 minutes of stretches, 20 minutes of weightlifting (4 alternating sets of 2:30 per arm), and 10 minutes of running. I kind of like getting some more arm strength, but wearing mself out with that daily run is no fun at all. I have to do this for personal fitness merit badge, which is required for eagle scout. I could just as easily lie on the exercise log, but I'm going along with it now since I'mn not doing anything besides my job at McDonald's. When I'm doing my summer reading assignment next month, I might consider skipping my workout a few days.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2006, 3:57 pm

Hi Solidess, I think it was Madonna or another famous celebrity that said: I love to eat, and I'd rather exercise than avoid eating what I like.

And that's exactly the way I think. I love to eat, but I know that I have to balance it, and it has worked great. I do some weightlifting, abs, crunches, etc., for 5 days and rest three days, at home.

Oh, going to the gym works, but the results start to appear after 6 months, and most important of all, if you stop going to the gym, the results last another 6 months, so if you stopped going two or five months ago, you still will be in shape and continue were you left (this came from a friend who has exercised for several years).

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2006, 6:30 pm

I've been fat ever since I hit puberty. For some reason, the first change my body made was when I put on close to 100 lbs of flab for no particular reason. It could be because I have a double dose of easy obesity in my genes (most of my relatives are 100 lbs overweight, and 3 of my aunts are Jerry Springer style bedridden 800 lbers). I also have health related conditions that run in my family, including heart disease and adult onset diabetes.

I tried going to the gym several times, but something always ruined it for me. First, it was my dad, who tried to micro-manage my workout regimen. He's the only not-at-all-fat person in my family and very vain about it. I ended up quitting the gym because I was so sick of being told I was doing it all wrong. Then I took weight training in college, and stuck with it until a major heatwave in the summer rendered me unable to jog, and the weight came back. I rejoined the gym sometime later, but ended up quitting because I got a job that had me standing up 8 hours a day and I was too tired to exercise.

My other problem was that I always had distant goals. I wanted to be a pro wrestler... except I wasn't sure I did, because the touring schedule they go through is a strain. Plus, I was years of training away from that level of fitness. So I'd lose motivation and quit.

I started the gym again about half a year ago. This time, my goal isn't to "get fit enough to become a wrestler" or "become fit enough to... ___". I'm just exercising because it's good.

And the results show. The smaller gains you make that don't make too much of a dent in your long term goal, are much more noticable when you're just exercising to get it done.

I've also started studying nutrition. The trick to dieting isn't limiting food intake, it's about packing the most nutrients possible into the proper amount of calories. If you limit your food intake too much, your body thinks you're suffering from a famine, and goes into fat storing mode. The best way to burn calories and get the most out of nutrients is to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

26 Jul 2006, 5:49 am

I just started running some(I had been walking ). I have high blood pressure to.
I checked my pressure after I walked off a short run and my pressure was in the normal range! My heart rate was 121. The exercise is painfull mainily my legs hurt
(shin splints). But Im feeling so much better afterwards I plan to keep doing it.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 4:31 pm

I make myself do it whatever it takes. Sometimes I do sit-ups and push-ups for punishment.