12-year old son with Aspergers / PDD - looking for advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

tja
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2011, 2:12 pm

I have a 12 year old adopted son who was diagnosed many years ago with Asperger’s / PDD / ADD (depending on who looked at him). His main issue is being able to focus on the task at hand. He also struggles a bit in social situations, is uncoordinated and has a habit of tapping or ‘flicking’ an item in front of him (self stim I’m told). After much deliberation, about 5-6 years ago we decided to try him on stimulant medication which resulted in loss of appetite, insomnia and nightmares/delusions. Since that time we have brought him to a variety of different doctors (from chiropracters/kinesiologists to pediactric neurologists) who have ideas that we’ve tried but have been unsuccessful. My wife and I butt heads a bit as she is more in favor of the more natural approach (vitamins, diet, etc) whereas I would like to retry the medication under a carefully monitored situation. We took my son to an MD a few months ago who thought we should hold off on the meds and go see a psychologist to help determine what type of meds to try (if any). Neither my wife or I liked that idea. My son has an IEP program at school and goes in and out from a regular classroom to a smaller setting. He is getting good grades but this is all relative since he is not really doing actual 6th grade work – he does do well when he can focus. I just want to do what I can to give my son the best chance to succeed. My family lives on the south side of Chicago – are any of you by chance near this area and could recommend a good doctor/MD? I’d be very interested in hearing any advice/experiences that you could share with regard to assisting your child and helping them focus? Is medication the answer?
Thank you very much in advance.

maryamongmen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2011, 2:20 pm

My son takes medication for ADD and it helps him tremendously. But I included him in the conversation about whether or not he should take medication. He was much younger, so it was a pretty guided conversation, but when I explained it would help him focus and control himself, he really wanted to try it.

I would talk to your son about what he wants. By 12, I think he's old enough to have a say. :)

foobabe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2011, 4:12 pm

Hi Tja

My 12 year old takes concerta and the difference in his school work has been fantastic, he is now very focussed on his work. He couldn't even sit at his desk for a whole lesson! after 9 months on concerta he recieved the school award for greatest achievement - He is a totally different child, without the meds I am sure he wouldn't be able to do half the work.
Meds for ADD are very dependant on the individual so it can be trail and error alot of the time, we were very lucky that concerta worked first time. I cannot comment much on the effectiveness of diet etc but the meds option was not a decision we took lightly but it has made the world of difference to our son. Check out http://www.additudemag.com/ there is some good advice to be found there.

Quote:
He also struggles a bit in social situations, is uncoordinated and has a habit of tapping or ‘flicking’ an item in front of him (self stim I’m told).

This is totally to be expected with AS, very typical.

I would also see if there are any support groups in your area, knowing you are not alone can be a great help.