Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 5:42 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Never heard of it. In any case, if that is actually their afterlife belief, that's a lot cooler then any other I have heard. "Become a God and have celestial sex"? Sounds good to me. At least then I'd know whether there is a God or not. I'd be able to fulfill the question myself

Quote:
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
In the beginning, God created earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness
The Book of Bokonon

unfortunately the godmakers is a rather shameless strawman.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 5:51 pm

I think it's nonsensical. The "history" of America posited by the Mormon religion has no archaeological or linguistic evidence to back it up, the Book of Mormon (which I have actually read) is full of anachronisms, cultural inconsistencies, and linguistically it's obvious that it wasn't translated from any Middle Eastern language.

I also am personally offended by the fact that Mormon's are trying to tidy up the racist theories of their past, rather than acknowledging and apologising for them. There is also a degree of sexism I find quite disgusting in the faith. I find it bizarre in the extreme that anyone believes the obvious fantasies and salesmanship of Joseph Smith, who historically doesn't seem to have been the most trustworthy of characters.

Having said all of which, the Mormon's I have met have always come across as very decent people. I know personally of a case in the US where a homeless woman pregnant with twins couldn't get any help from her local Christian community groups (she was living in a tent, and was terrified her babies would be taken off her when they were born.) After the failure of the church to home her, she was taken in by a Mormon family, who helped her find accomodation and a part time job. The response of the Christian church which had so badly let her down at this point was to tell her to have nothing to do with the Mormons, and she was then looked down on by people who, really, should have been ashamed of their own lack of love.

I hasten to add that I don't believe all Christians are like that, (I'm actually Christian) but I do believe that Mormons in general seem to have a highly developed social conscience.

So... the whole theory, history etc, is a joke.

But the actual way Mormons behave, so far as I have seen, is genuinely good.

James, Jesus' brother, says in the Bible, "true religion is this: look after widows and orphans in their distress, and keep yourself unspotted from the world." In the case I just cited above, it was the Mormons who behaved like "Christians" are supposed to, while the Christians behaved like wolves. Sad but true.

But there's no way anyone would ever convert me to such a frankly silly belief system, although I do admire the personal ethics of the Mormons I know about.

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2011, 10:48 pm

Whoa. Major Posting.

I'll be happy to return in two years and spank y'all in religious doctrine but currently i'm overmatched. Honestly i was expecting more issues on polygamy, not being able to dance, kidnapping people and having our prisoners jump off the SLC temple into the great salt lake.

Anyways thanks giving me a better public perspective.

Just to answer a few, Elder is a position within the church given to priestholders on offical business, as well as a office of the priesthood. Kind of like father in other religions Sorry that's what it's named so there. Only as a teenager are you recomended to do things on days of the week and then i had young adult on tuesdays and boy scouts on wednesdays. I agree that the church should come to terms with denial of african-americans into the priesthood up to the 1980's but it's not my call. However we were abolisionists? As for joseph smith being a writer of fiction all i can say is he was tortured persecuted and eventually killed for it.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 11:33 pm

Writing the book wasn't why he was killed (not that there's ever a good excuse for mob violence and murder).

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

01 Mar 2011, 7:46 am

It's analytically/empirically absurd,
as are all religions.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:10 pm

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:24 pm

Idiotchief wrote:
Whoa. Major Posting.

I'll be happy to return in two years and spank y'all in religious doctrine but currently i'm overmatched. Honestly i was expecting more issues on polygamy, not being able to dance, kidnapping people and having our prisoners jump off the SLC temple into the great salt lake.

Anyways thanks giving me a better public perspective.

Just to answer a few, Elder is a position within the church given to priestholders on offical business, as well as a office of the priesthood. Kind of like father in other religions Sorry that's what it's named so there. Only as a teenager are you recomended to do things on days of the week and then i had young adult on tuesdays and boy scouts on wednesdays. I agree that the church should come to terms with denial of african-americans into the priesthood up to the 1980's but it's not my call. However we were abolisionists? As for joseph smith being a writer of fiction all i can say is he was tortured persecuted and eventually killed for it.

I, Mormon topic

I was expecting some revelation on the fact that you are dx AS and becoming a Mormon. What does your church say about that?

You mentioned nothing about the undies? And polygamy is banned except for a few nutjobs that broke away from LDS.

The ban on dancing seems obtuse, kidnapping is a major felony and to tell someone to go jump in the lake is perhaps, a bit rude.

Despite all that, LDS did give us something good: ancestry.com, and all those historical records in Utah. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2011, 8:23 pm

I'm Dx aspie and becoming a missionary. I've been mormon my entire life. My church has alot of "special needs" missionaries. However as i'm fully functional i'll be going on a normal mission.
Haven't commented on the "special underwear" also known as garments because i don't wear them yet.
I don't recall telling anyone to jump in a lake. I was referencing tales of prisoners kidnapped by the "evil mormons" jumping off the SLC temple into the great salt lake to escape.
As previously mentioned i was curious about misconceptions on my faith and culture so i can better deal with them. I appreciate all of the positive remarks and those unwanting religion i'll try not to bother you.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 2:58 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58wgn-9Y3c[/youtube]

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:08 pm

I'm looking forward to this movie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj9g9-0zeyY&feature=related[/youtube]

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 9:29 am

Idiotchief wrote:
I'm Dx aspie and becoming a missionary. I've been mormon my entire life. My church has alot of "special needs" missionaries. However as i'm fully functional i'll be going on a normal mission.
Haven't commented on the "special underwear" also known as garments because i don't wear them yet.
I don't recall telling anyone to jump in a lake. I was referencing tales of prisoners kidnapped by the "evil mormons" jumping off the SLC temple into the great salt lake to escape.
As previously mentioned i was curious about misconceptions on my faith and culture so i can better deal with them. I appreciate all of the positive remarks and those unwanting religion i'll try not to bother you.

Explaining religion topic

You asked members here what they think of your religion, and you have explaiend nothing, except telling others that you want to be a missionary.

I think you are fishing for info, outside the Great Salt Lake, and I do not care about your reasons.

I am an atheist, and have no interest in ideas that posit behaviours pointing to belief, followed by worship, in an omnicscient being. By what you have written, you have no interest in converting here. Whatever.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo