Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is racism acceptable in any form whatsoever?
No. 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
Yes. 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 15

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:39 pm

The only time I ever heard a Black person utter the phrase "White Trash" was when I overheard a Black coworker explain to another Black coworker that the term was what "Whites sometimes call other Whites".

So I think of it as perhaps a "class-ist" term, but hardly racist, since the term is used almost exclusively by Whites for other Whites.

Indeed the term seems to be being eclipsed by the related term "Trailor Trash".

If "White Trash" offends you- how about '"Euro Trash"?

Where is the OP to stick up for the rights of rich idle European jet setting nere-do-wells when they need it? What did Claus Van Beulow ever do to hurt anyone-well-besides try to kill his wife to ger her inheritance?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If "White Trash" offends you- how about '"Euro Trash"?

Where is the OP to stick up for the rights of rich idle European jet setting nere-do-wells when they need it? What did Claus Van Beulow ever do to hurt anyone-well-besides try to kill his wife to ger her inheritance?

Is that what "Euro-Trash" stands for? So what annual income level is the limit for which derogatory term?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:58 pm

I guess I'd rather be Euro-trash than White Trash. It sounds so much classier.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:59 pm

pandabear wrote:
I guess I'd rather be Euro-trash than White Trash. It sounds so much classier.

It involves lots of leather and heavy German techno

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:02 pm

Oh, I must have misunderstood. In that case, I will stick with the label "White Trash"

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:12 pm

poor white trash is actually seems to be cleaned up version on the earlier term white-n****r popular in the pre-civil rights south. so it is racist but against blacks.
-Jake

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:18 pm

As long as it doesn't involve lots of leather and heavy German techno, I'll also accept the classification "White n****r"

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:20 pm

pandabear wrote:
As long as it doesn't involve lots of leather and heavy German techno, I'll also accept the classification "White n****r"

Johnny Cash said he did not mind being called that.
-Jake

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
pandabear wrote:

-Jake

Wasn't that term originally used by the immigrant Irish to describe their own plight?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:34 pm

Vigilans wrote:

Wasn't that term originally used by the immigrant Irish to describe their own plight?

Possibly. I remember reading that Irish labourers in New Orleans would be given harder and more dangerous work than the slaves, because if an Irishman was killed or became disabled, it wasn't a big deal--there were always many more where he came from. But, if a slave were hurt, it would result in a direct economic hardship to the owner who would no longer be able to get a good price for the slave at auction.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:38 am

Vigilans wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
pandabear wrote:

-Jake

You've got to give that Cash credit.

ruveyn

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 4:47 am

pandabear wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Possibly. I remember reading that Irish labourers in New Orleans would be given harder and more dangerous work than the slaves, because if an Irishman was killed or became disabled, it wasn't a big deal--there were always many more where he came from. But, if a slave were hurt, it would result in a direct economic hardship to the owner who would no longer be able to get a good price for the slave at auction.

As someone who grew up in the south, I can assure you that white trash/n****r is a term used by the same people who still use the word n****r. It describes a lower class white person deemed to be as worthless as a regular (black) n****r.

...and as a previous poster observed, the term is also used by middle/upper class liberal whites who think the poor whites somehow deserve their disadvantaged economic status.

WhiteTrashRepairs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2011, 1:33 pm

Ok seriously guys/girls the site is not in any ways meant to be racist. It's simply some comic relief in this crazy stressful world that we live in. Not everything posted on the site is bad, hell there is actually some great ideas for economical repairs. Either way good or bad repair it's a break from every day life that's it plain and simple. So before you judge the site check it out you might find that you actually find it funny. Racial posts that are made are removed from the site.

DS, Owner of WhiteTrashRepairs

PS: I found this site via my google alerts :)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 1:44 pm

WhiteTrashRepairs wrote:
Ok seriously guys/girls the site is not in any ways meant to be racist. It's simply some comic relief in this crazy stressful world that we live in. Not everything posted on the site is bad, hell there is actually some great ideas for economical repairs. Either way good or bad repair it's a break from every day life that's it plain and simple. So before you judge the site check it out you might find that you actually find it funny. Racial posts that are made are removed from the site.

DS, Owner of WhiteTrashRepairs

PS: I found this site via my google alerts :)

Seriously? Well, if you are actually the owner of WhiteTrashRepairs, I apologize for stating my conjecture that the title sounded racist. The memes are humorous to me also, I just hadn't noticed the alt text before and in absence of knowledge of both the term and that it was not intended to be derogatory I, being the pessimist that I am, assumed the worst. Sorry about that. Please forgive also my skepticism of your identity as owner of the site as 1) there is no way to know, and 2) I've been bombarded with trolling from new users very recently. However, I'll take you at your word and say I'm sorry.

WhiteTrashRepairs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2011, 2:35 pm

Yes I'm really the owner and I totally understand spam, on average I get 110k visitors a day. I just PMed you my email so you could see. :-)

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 11:35 am

Welcome to our forum.