Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 3:55 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed many times...my apologies.

Do most of you really not use/get sarcasm? I think I've seen some sarcasm on the forum, and it seems like some of you might actually very sarcastic in real life.

LOL, I'm just curious.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 3:56 pm

Sarcasm spoken is difficult compared to sarcasm written.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Feb 2011, 4:01 pm

I'm pretty sarcastic and I even love to say things that - I think - communicates I mean the exact opposite without also sounding mean about it (but I know I have failed at that last part).

On the other hand, I am prone to missing sarcasm a lot of the time, especially in text. One of my friends told me she thought I might have AS after several occasions she tried to banter with me after I made a joke and I took her seriously.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:06 pm

I tend to be sarcastic to get my point across and I am also funny so I make jokes and that can be sarcasm. I do it on here too to be funny and to get my point across.

I have also gotten better at picking it up online and sometimes I am still unsure if something was sarcasm or not. In real life I am not sure.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:16 pm

I can be sarcastic when i remember that it can be used as a weapon, and generally it's during periods where i sleep well :P otherwise i'd let people chew me off and stand there saying "nuh-uh, not true!!"
It doesn't mean that i always detect it though. My expressive sarcasm is higher than my receptive sarcasm !

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:18 pm

I can be very sarcastic. This is not inconsistent with autism since for me it is an extension of thinking literally. If I say the literal truth with sincerity, it is taken as offensive. If I say the opposite of the literal truth and add the tonality of sarcasm, I can jab at the falseness without being so offensive. But this is a learned response. My first thought always is the literal truth. My second thought is "don't offend". My third thought it "express it sarcastically". What comes out is the literal truth repackaged as sarcasm.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:22 pm

I use deadpan sarcasm so often that I'm ready for it.

What gets me are jokes that can be missed by taking a word in the wrong context (or too literally). There is a window where I'll miss these every time and have to ask what the joke meant.

On second thought I often hear, "I was just kidding" from my gf and she says I dont get her humor. That's probably sarcasm that is so far off my radar that I'm not even thinking about it.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:39 pm

I have never been able to understand when others are sarcastic unless they are being extremely obvious and/or warn me ahead of time. In forums, I can usually tell because usually people add this guy :roll: to their post.
Whenever I am sarcastic, people always take it literally, so I try not to use sarcasm. The only time people think that I'm being sarcastic is if I say something like "what a nice day" during a storm. Of course I happen to like storms and usually mean it literally.

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 6:03 pm

ediself wrote:
My expressive sarcasm is higher than my receptive sarcasm !

Same for me. I use sarcasm a lot. It was the only way I learned to deal with a bipolar mother.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 6:19 pm

sterfry wrote:
ediself wrote:

Same here, actually.

I get it *most* of the time, but definitely don't catch it as much I use it.

js3521
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2011, 6:23 pm

I'm below average at recognizing sarcasm, though I get the intended meaning most of the time (at least I think I do 8O ). My biggest problem is knowing how to respond to people who are using sarcasm. When people see me struggling to respond, they tend to assume that I didn't understand it.

When I use sarcasm, I'm bad at giving cues that what I'm saying is sarcastic. My sarcastic comments usually come across as deadpan.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 6:35 pm

ediself wrote:

Yep, same here. I am much better now than how I used to be though.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2011, 2:24 am

I miss sarcasm from others 90% of the time. I myself am quite sarcastic. I try to be witty and get a laugh out of my friends, and I do tend to get laughs out of them. When they are sarcastic though and try to make a joke it usually ends in me not getting it and them saying "you suck" or "you're such a dork".

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 4:31 am

I'm pretty good with detecting sarcasm. I can hear the distinct sarcastic tone pretty easily. I'm not so good at doing sarcasm. People don't seem to hear the sarcastic tone in my voice. So the only sarcasm that I can use is the really obvious type. As for more subtle jokes and humor, I can get it about 75% of the time, but I often do not realize that it is humor until it is too late to laugh. Every once in a while I completely miss a joke, and take it seriously. A fair amount of time, I end up wondering if something is a joke or not, so I end up making a neutral response..

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:47 am

There's a lot of that spreading throughout the modern NT world these days. It's an epidemic, that sarcasm.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:00 am

I try to only be sarcastic when I know the other person will get it. If I'm unsure I am not sarcastic. I sometimes get other people's sarcasm, sometimes not.