So, what ARE the most common special interests?

Page 1 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

What's your special interest?
Cats 3%  3%  [ 10 ]
Animals/some type of animal (that isn't cats) 9%  9%  [ 27 ]
Trains 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Some other type of transportation 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Computers 11%  11%  [ 33 ]
Fiction or a fictional work 11%  11%  [ 35 ]
Medicine, neurology or psychology 13%  13%  [ 39 ]
Music or a specific song, artist or instrument 11%  11%  [ 35 ]
Disaster preparedness 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Math 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Fashion or makeup 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Other 28%  28%  [ 87 ]
NT/results, please/don't know 4%  4%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 306

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 7:21 pm

Some of the more common ones, from what I've seen. By "animals" I don't just mean mammals. I also count reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, colonial cnidarians (e.g., men-of-war)... but NOT bacteria or plants.

I'd love to hear what your interests are if you want to elaborate! Go ahead and monologue! :D

I'm going to answer for right now, "Animals/some type of animal (that isn't cats)" even though my special interests alternate and change so at other times I might have answered (might answer in the future if someone else runs a poll like this in a few months) "Fiction or a fictional work," "Medicine, neurology or psychology" or "Music or a specific song, artist or instrument."

NOT A DOCTOR

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

Mine are the Super Mario franchise, Pokemon and cats, so I voted for cats.

justarandomperson
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Feb 2011, 7:29 pm

For me music has always been big (playing instruments and listening)...and things involving computers, but not computers themselves, such as games...

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 7:29 pm

I want a cat! I've never had much of an opportunity to interact with them. If I had... I can easily see myself having cats for a special interest.

I used to like Pokemon. Never to the point of it being a special interest, though. Are you talking about the games or the anime?

NOT A DOCTOR

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2011, 7:30 pm

Space and science are mine.... and reading the news as well. I really like cats and animals but wouldn't say that is a special interest.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2011, 7:34 pm

I am fascinated with healthcare, healthcare systems and the business of healthcare, medicine itself and psychology, though also obsess about music and love my cats!

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 7:36 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
I want a cat! I've never had much of an opportunity to interact with them. If I had... I can easily see myself having cats for a special interest.

I used to like Pokemon. Never to the point of it being a special interest, though. Are you talking about the games or the anime?

I'm talking about the games, I only watched the anime as a kid and only nowadays if I'm bored and it's on TV. My favourite pokemon is Glameow and I like the pokemon that much that I tried (somewhat) very hard for a shiny one and it only took exactly 200 eggs. (:

shaybugz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2011, 7:38 pm

I voted for fiction, which is most frequent, though I diversify a lot.

Harry Potter, Jimmy Neutron, TY Beanie Babies, Psychology, Time/Space, and The Bible have all been around for quite some time...

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 7:44 pm

I used to love Beanie Babies! How many do you have?

NOT A DOCTOR

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 7:51 pm

My special interests change from month to month, but there are some regular topics.

Cats. This is a low-level, constant interest.

TV shows. I will watch every episode of every season of a TV show, as a month-long continuous marathon. Sometimes, I repeat from the beginning two or three times.

Math or science. Generally, I pick one topic and study it.

Computers. I work on a program or programming language constantly.

Work (overlaps with computers). Sometimes, I really get focused on my current project.

Web surfing, Facebook games, WrongPlanet

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 7:54 pm

My main interest is learning languages, so I chose other. On a language forum I used to go to there were a couple other aspies. :)

My other interests are computers and music/instruments, but not as much as languages, so I didn't vote for either of those.

shaybugz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2011, 7:54 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
I used to love Beanie Babies! How many do you have?

Currently none.... nt mother made me get rid of them shortly before I ended up married :-/ but I had every cat (including my beloved Flip who was the prize of all my beanie babies) and I think about 90% of the bears released up till about 2005 I think.

My total collection probably hit 150-170... not sure...definitely over 100

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 8:03 pm

I like the birds. I never understood the bears, but I have some of them, too. I'm pretty ambivalent about the cats-- but some of the dogs are cute. I like the dragons!

How do you feel about the different sizes?

NOT A DOCTOR

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 8:07 pm

Some type of animal that isn't cats. Reptiles, mainly snakes and lizards.

Last edited by ColdBlooded on 23 Feb 2011, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaybugz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2011, 8:09 pm

Depended on my age... when I started collecting them (and I was "older" in thought processes) I thought the big ones were dumb. I was a stickler about only having "REAL" TY beanie babies. no plushies or oversized beanies for me.

As the years went on though, a few were super-cute and made it into my collection. and as it turned out my plushies were the last ones I let go. However, the plushies were more of a play-toy than an obsession. I didn't "play" with my beanie babies. Those were sacred...on display in my room and useful for organizing only. The plushies got to be "played" with (or otherwise taken out of the house/slept with) and were more... not-serious. I had about 10 plushies I think.

As for the bears- i didn't get them at first either, but I realized I thought more of them were awesome than not, so decided I needed everyone regardless of cuteness

Were you in the official Club? Print out lists of what you had/didn't?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Feb 2011, 8:23 pm

I voted for music since I perform music regularly. I have a large collection of synthesizers and dulcimers. But I am also heavily into roller coasters and house plans. I also write creatively in which I include my interests.