Any High Functioning Autistic people here?

Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2016, 8:22 pm

I can pass off as NT to acquaintances. Does that mean I'm high functioning? I have no friggin clue. I certainly don't feel high functioning a lot of the time, especially in instances involving romance and meaningless social interaction.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 9:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
It's been 5 years since I posted on this thread!

I still feel the label "high functioning" is a little cringeworthy reflecting some type of hierarchical judgment from an NT perspective

Why not call it functional autism simply saying the person is able to function in mainstram society?

So you're saying "instead of calling it 'high functioning autism' lets just call it 'high functioning autism'".

Lol!

Well Gee whiz. Why didnt everyone think of THAT!?

In an ideal world we wouldn't have labels...but we don't live an ideal world do we...

Every word that exists in every human language is a "label". Without labels human life couldnt exist. So why do you equate "the absence of labels" with "an ideal world"?

Certain words/labels are problems in certain contexts at certain times. That doesnt make all labels evil.

I am aware that your just parroting the party line of every autism community: that autistics are victims of labels, so therefore all labels are bad. But just because its the party line does change the fact that it's nonsense.

I'm a community of one...but that's a separate issue

Yes I agree language is a form of labelling....infact your observation is quite enlightening :wink:

TheBadguy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm

What do you consider high functioning?

Technically, as much as its worth, I am considered to have a High IQ, above the cutoff point. But in my day to day living skills, I am considered low functioning.

But I am not special needs nor am I mentally deficient.