Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:52 pm

I have to read this for class BOO! 30 chapters in YAWN! Some interesting characters but nothing that pulls at you. Harry Potter chapter endings are battles/suspense YOU want to keep reading to see what happens. Moby Dick I'm reading because I HAVE TO! For all I care Ishmael could take a bullet and die!! ! Nothing makes me yearn to read the next chapters (I only push through to get the book done!!) 30 chapters in PLEASE tell me it gets better!! !! !! !!

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:48 pm

It doesn't. He wrote that book almost as a fictional documentary of the life and character of the whalers of the era. If you see it from that perspective its worth reading.

otherwise.. you can really just watch the damn movie and read only the first 5 and last 5 chapters. :P

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:57 pm

It has been many years since I read it, so my memory of the details is fuzzy. I don't remember it being a "page turner," but I remember enjoying it. I think what helped motivate me is the knowledge that it is considered by some to be the "Great American Novel." That made me curious to see why. Another fact that might help you is knowing that it is not just a "fish story." If you seek out commentaries about Moby Dick, you will see many theories about its deeper meanings and symbolism. On a different level, it also could be a lesson about obsession and the self destructiveness of seeking revenge.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:08 pm

Dantac wrote:
It doesn't. He wrote that book almost as a fictional documentary of the life and character of the whalers of the era. If you see it from that perspective its worth reading.

otherwise.. you can really just watch the damn movie and read only the first 5 and last 5 chapters. :P

Nope. She broke it down in chunks chapters 1-16 describe Ishmael 17-30 describe Starbuck and Ahab (She has certain HW assignments based off of what is read.) :-( BOO! It sucks it doesn't get better!

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 11:17 pm

Can't be helped zelda. 2 shots of tequila per chapter should numb the pain.

.. a bit. : P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 12:27 am

I remember reading books that I didn't like. It was sheer torture.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:14 am

I once borrowed this book in two volumes from a library, for myself. It was one of those few novels I ever borrowed only to give them back almost not read. It was so boring. The same was with Great Gatsby, LOTR and Lolita but those after the second read, turned out more interesting.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 9:24 am

Can't remember if I ever finished it, don't think I did. Boring. Think the ship capsizes under the weight of word salad in the end. On the other hand, I do remember reading an excellent book about the Essex, which I'm fairly sure was "In the Heart of the Sea" but might have been another. That's definitely worth reading. And the film with Patrick Stewart was canny good.

The year is still young.