Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

JSMC
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2011, 12:20 am

Hi, I've search a lot on AS recently and found out funny that cannabis was used in some case to help people with Asperger Syndrom. I just wanted to know if some here did use cannabis as medication or self-medication and how did it helped or worsten your symptoms.

For my part, I've smoke cannabis daily since I'm 12 years old and never tried any other drugs besides that. I'd say it help me a lot with social anxiety, sleeping, headache (caused by overthinking), helped me with my impulsivity and I believe helped me with my emotional behavior... Well it may just be because I've smoked marijuanna that I've made it through my life without any diagnosis of AS. I've never used it to help me with all of this, I've just came to this conclusion after reading other people testimony.

I know cannabis is seen by most as a bad thing, but I believe this bad reputation come from ignorance or somekind of propaganda (or miseducation).

So what do you think about this? Have you ever tried it? Are you totally against it?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 12:40 am

I'm not totally against it, but I think it most certainly does have drawbacks, and may be totally useless in many cases. Plus, you're smoking it--your lungs are likely not happy. There are healthier ways, if you really have to ingest marijuana.

Personally, I would like it if they did some actual research into this, because until then it's just one of many unproven alternative-medicine tactics, and I would not recommend anybody risk it. For one thing, it's an illegal drug; for another thing, it's been associated with depression and lack of motivation--the last thing you need if you're autistic and have executive function issues.

So... my main opinion is: Not worth the risk; needs more research; and if you're dead set on it, grow your own and don't ruin your lungs by smoking it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 12:51 am

::waits for the preachy righteous types to start in on OP::

JSMC
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2011, 12:53 am

What you're saying proves that their's a lot of misinformation around this. Cannabis have shown to dilate airway, even helped for asthma. What's bad with smoking is that most of cannabis user will put cigarette tobacco in them. But used alone, cannabis as no effect on lung cancer, well some research showed it might even help slowing tumor progression.

Another thing, here in Quebec, cannabis is legal for medication purpose and widely accepted as recreationnal usage. Also, cannabis was legal all around the world. Another fact, the first car ever built was supposed to work on gaz made with hemp. Some say it got illegal for the oil industry to take control over energy.

Depression and lack of motivation is one of the issue cannabis can help. In fact, you need to know that their's two major type of cannabis, sativa and indica. Depression and lack of motivation is caused by a use of indica type. This is a no go for anyone with depression problem, but help a lot for sleeping disorder. As for sativa, it's proven to reduce a lot depression and gives motivation.

They're a lot of research made with the use of cannabis and the list is pretty exhaustiv on how it can help people.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 12:55 am

So post some references... In wikipedia-speak, [CITATION NEEDED].

Autism Memorial:

JSMC
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2011, 1:02 am

A fast reference I can think of is this video. I'd have to share too many links or simply google.com ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P33ajyiMdrk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis

Believe me, I've searched the web a lot ;)

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 1:08 am

Depends, could work for some like the front man of the vines. I myself support the legalization of marijuana but hate it personally because it makes me fell intense paranoia and that life is hellish. A little melodramatic perhaps, but it makes me feel really uncomfortable.

JSMC
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2011, 1:11 am

Maybe it's just the stain you've tried that causes you those problem. Also, how you grow, harvest timing, nutrients quality, dry and cure process will widely modify the effect of cannabis. This is why I always believed that legalisation could only help getting a good quality.

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2011, 1:34 am

I am not afraid to admit that on the rare occasion that I smoke it, I enjoy it. It freaked me out at first because it made some of my senses change (auditory, visual) but that is the point. I have learned to embrace the feeling and I just zone out now. I only do this at home as a precaution. I need to be able to control my external stimuli while that is going on. Headphones with Pink Floyd is amazing in that realm. I feel more paranoid IRL than I do when I smoke. Everyone is different.

I have also tried the legal "synthetic" stuff. Be warned, depending on the brand that stuff is dangerous. Some blends are stronger than the real thing and I actually hallucinated and thought that the universe was fake and that I was only imagining everything in my life. Family Guy was on TV and I recall the colors melting together. In other words, don't smoke it if it didn't grow out of the ground lol.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 1:58 am

JSMC wrote:
Maybe it's just the stain you've tried that causes you those problem. Also, how you grow, harvest timing, nutrients quality, dry and cure process will widely modify the effect of cannabis. This is why I always believed that legalisation could only help getting a good quality.

True, and if I ever make it to Amsterdam, or someplace where you can get pot that is grown with better methods, I should give it a try again.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 3:00 am

Shadwell wrote:
Depends, could work for some like the front man of the vines. I myself support the legalization of marijuana but hate it personally because it makes me fell intense paranoia and that life is hellish. A little melodramatic perhaps, but it makes me feel really uncomfortable.
Heck, I've never tried it and I support legalizing it--not really because it's safe or beneficial at all (it isn't), but because I'm sick and tired of the legal system putting people in jail for doing something that's not hurting anybody, and hurting them less than drinking would. It's just Prohibition all over again; and alcohol's worse than pot, by all accounts. We need to face facts--we're never going to be able to stop people from smoking the stuff, and we need to stop ruining their lives and giving them criminal records for it.

Autism Memorial:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 3:03 am

I don't believe AS is something that one needs to be medicated for.

And I also believe people underestimate the damage that pot induced apathy can cause in someone's life.

And I also believe most pot smokers underestimate the effects of their smoking and behaviors while high, on others....from personal experience.

I also believe, most pot smokers with a medical marijuana licences don't actually have a valid medical condition which warrants the usage of pot, and got the licence from a biased, pot smoking doctor who really just thinks it should be legalized...again from personal experience.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2011, 3:32 am

people with AS should be careful of drugs especially. They can fool you into thinking that you're acting less awkward because you lose your anxiety. Its good to have a little anxiety to moderate your behavior.

eudaimonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2011, 3:44 am

Chronos wrote:
I also believe, most pot smokers with a medical marijuana licences don't actually have a valid medical condition which warrants the usage of pot, and got the licence from a biased, pot smoking doctor who really just thinks it should be legalized...again from personal experience.

I cannot speak for other states, but here in Oregon, you do not receive a prescription for legal weed. Your doctor can be your primary care doctor or some random person you picked out of a phone book.. if you are diagnosed with any qualifying condition, you qualify to grow your own. The doctor only diagnoses you with the condition, and you take that medical professional's opinion to an agency that helps you apply for your green card. Does not necessarily have anything to do with finding a 'biased, pot smoking doctor'. There are definite guidelines for which medical conditions qualify you for the program.

That said, I'm all for herb as medicine. Cannabinoid receptors in our brains tell me that we probably evolved alongside this stuff, and yeah, a lot of the negative info that's out there is overblown or just plain wrong. The pros outweigh the cons in many cases- weed-induced apathy (which can happen if you smoke a lot) vs. anxiety as a resting state.. I would take apathy. Let's not forget that many people eat, drink, or brainwash themselves into apathy, it is not just potheads who are prone to being lazy.

I was a daily smoker for 3 years, took a break for maybe 3 months, and now am smoking again to help mediate my anxiety and channel some of my energy into making art or just relaxing rather than panicking and being lazy. I find I am less lazy when I am stoned.. I will puff out, then clean my entire apartment, do laundry and organize my bookshelves without even realizing that these activities are normally considered mundane. Also stoned was the only way I got through 2 years working for a janitorial company ;) it does wonders for head and body aches.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:07 am

eudaimonia wrote:
Chronos wrote:

I cannot speak for other states, but here in Oregon, you do not receive a prescription for legal weed. Your doctor can be your primary care doctor or some random person you picked out of a phone book.. if you are diagnosed with any qualifying condition, you qualify to grow your own. The doctor only diagnoses you with the condition, and you take that medical professional's opinion to an agency that helps you apply for your green card. Does not necessarily have anything to do with finding a 'biased, pot smoking doctor'. There are definite guidelines for which medical conditions qualify you for the program.

That said, I'm all for herb as medicine. Cannabinoid receptors in our brains tell me that we probably evolved alongside this stuff, and yeah, a lot of the negative info that's out there is overblown or just plain wrong. The pros outweigh the cons in many cases- weed-induced apathy (which can happen if you smoke a lot) vs. anxiety as a resting state.. I would take apathy. Let's not forget that many people eat, drink, or brainwash themselves into apathy, it is not just potheads who are prone to being lazy.

I was a daily smoker for 3 years, took a break for maybe 3 months, and now am smoking again to help mediate my anxiety and channel some of my energy into making art or just relaxing rather than panicking and being lazy. I find I am less lazy when I am stoned.. I will puff out, then clean my entire apartment, do laundry and organize my bookshelves without even realizing that these activities are normally considered mundane. Also stoned was the only way I got through 2 years working for a janitorial company ;) it does wonders for head and body aches.

Yes, well, your stoned self would not be welcome in my presence in real life.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:09 am

countzarroff wrote:
people with AS should be careful of drugs especially. They can fool you into thinking that you're acting less awkward because you lose your anxiety.

They also fool you into thinking you are still in control, there is nothing wrong with the way you are acting, and convince you that it's other people who are over-reacting.