Why do people add numbers at the end of their names?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2011, 4:10 am

This is a question that has bugged me for some time.

On the internet, why on earth do people (some on this site too) add a bunch of numbers at the end of their name? It seems stupid, pointless and annoying.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:54 am

While this is by no means the only reason, one possibility is when a desired username is not available, so to use that username, people will add numbers to get a username that is not already taken. The username with numbers may then be carried over to other sites, as it's easier to remember one username across several sites.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:24 am

This exact question was asked here by another member, not that long ago... funny... x_x

The reason, of course, is because of what the other person said, though... as you may have noticed, e-mail services automatically do the same, by suggesting the same name with numbers, when you try to register and the name you want isn't available. I personally have never registered, anywhere, with random numbers, though... I, too, find it to be sort of annoying... or at the very least if I'd be the one using the name with the random numbers.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:41 am

E-FrameZenderblast wrote:
It seems stupid, pointless and annoying.

Motive and past experiance means nothing.
(That was sarcasum.)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:56 am

As others have said, the username they wanted was probably used, so they added numbers. Other people put their birth year or numbers like 69 on the end just for fun.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2011, 10:48 pm

You never know how many E-FrameZenderblasts there might be out there. Maybe you could be E-FrameZenderblast904571.

That was a joke. But it wasn't funny.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 12:01 am

Yep. There has to be 904570 E-FrameZenderblasts before you, obvioulsy you are going to be E-FrameZenderblast904571.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

T_Hinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

Because most people are too un-creative or lazy to come up with a descriptive name that does not require numbers. If the one you want is taken, they just accept the computer suggestions. My approach is to think of things that describe why I am there or who I am, put them together and you have an original name without numbers. Examples: MissOMorph < answering my daughter's questions anonimously while telling them it was MOM if they cared to think it through. T_Hinker< Thinker, TwilightTinkerbell< surfing chatrooms at night while telling I'm female (I quit this), LadyDichotomy< For everything one can say about me- the opposite is also true, Jeweleress< Actor-ActRESS...Jeweler- JewelerESS

Its really not that hard to do......
The worst ones are those who use their real names and eventually cannot use that anymore because of too much spam.....

Signed MarySmith0928886795_3460683021

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 5:44 am

Either because the name is taken or to make it more personalized.