Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2011, 10:47 pm

Rock and blues gods forgive me...

I'm currently working on a rap song. I have the lyrics however i lack the necessary equipment for the back ground music, aka Beat. Any tips on a website or program that would work?

drown_my_sense_is
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2011, 2:01 am

I could also use some tips/advice regarding this matter :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 2:35 am

Any keyboard synthesizer would have programed drum beats you could select from.

You used to be able to buy CD's of intstrument "break beats" for music producers. Various drum/bass/percussion/cow bell tracks.
I dont know if you can still find something like that today in a brick and mortar store, but you can try on line. Look for "breakbeats".

Or you could do what the original pioneers of rap did which was to sample beats from preexisting music on records- an instrumental passage out of rock, funk, or piecce of funky jazz that has no vocals. It could be just a few seconds, but put it into loop mode so it repeats so you can rap over it. A used vinyl shop where I live has a whole section of "break beats"-used vinyls such as James Brown's backup band or by the Average White Band that make good rythmn tracks. About copyright infringement I couldnt advise you.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 12:42 am

Idiotchief wrote:
Rock and blues gods forgive me...

I'm currently working on a rap song. I have the lyrics however i lack the necessary equipment for the back ground music, aka Beat. Any tips on a website or program that would work?

Hello :)

I've been trying to make rap for a while, and I'm using the program my brother uses to make beats. He has the full version but I only have the "trail" version, which is the full program, except you can't save anything. It's great for learning how to use it, composing music, and it's limitless as in you can recreate any sound your mind imagines so long as you know how to operate it.

I tried recreating The Dream Feat fab/sant/rick/luda - "Rocking That Thang" with my limited knowledge of using this program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f54X27PpyM8

It turned out differently because I don't know how to edit my arrangement to sound professional and I don't have any special sound kits, just what came with the program, but my point is with a little time put into learning it, a few weeks at most, you'll be making beats like a pro.
Here is my version feat. on soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/marketandchurch/dream-remake

The program I use is free to download, but the license required to save your material costs $500+ so download a program that you can save sounds from computer with. That's how I got mine. If you are interested, I can upload a tutorial and give you some tips. Let me know man.

What I used:

AbletonLive 8
http://www.ableton.com/download-suite-trial

Alternatives:
Apple Logic (For mac)
ProTools
Cakewalk Sonar
Reason

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 2:38 am