Coping with people for a long time...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Bethykp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2011, 6:02 am

I wondered if anyone could help me. (Sorry if there's already a thread about this)

I'm moving out in a month's time, and in the place I'll be staying there's a chance I'll have to share a room with someone (It's a college residential course.) Thinking about it, I'm fine being around other people... for a few hours. By the end of the day, if I've been interacting with other people all day, I'm totally overwhelmed, and I can't manage with being around people. Like, I can't stay at my dad's house for more than two days in a row because I share a room there, and I need some alone time every day or I freak out a little.

Does anyone else have this? Does anyone know of any coping strategies for when you have to be around a group of people for a long time?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 6:36 am

Quick one... lock yourself in the bathroom for hours at a time if there's no other privacy available.

I like our bathroom. it's roomy enough to lie on the floor and it's about the cleanest and tidiest and least cluttered room in the house.

Make the most of times when your room mate is out.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 7:36 am

Moog wrote:
Quick one... lock yourself in the bathroom for hours at a time if there's no other privacy available.

I like our bathroom. it's roomy enough to lie on the floor and it's about the cleanest and tidiest and least cluttered room in the house.

Make the most of times when your room mate is out.

Funny, i used to do that when i was still living with my husband! coping strategies: taking long showers when tension builds up (the white noise and warmth are a miracle), spending some time on your computer saying you're too busy to talk, taking a nap because "you have a headache"...