Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 1:22 pm

This is in the category of both accepting who and being open to better versions of myself.

For example, I have a lot of energy for intellectual projects when I first wake up. I also have emotional energy to engage in tasks. I would like to have more energy for longer in the day.

And sometimes, I just catch a wave of animal happiness (in zen like fashion, sometimes good things just happen :D ). Lately, I have been experiencing some loneliness. So be it. I’m not going to be desperate to meet people. I’m going to continue with my own activities and be open to appreciating others and also practice skills of gentle and matter-of-fact leave-taking. Maybe I’ll start meeting some new friends, maybe not. And either way is perfectly okay.

And yes, I am a pretty allergic guy. The common allergies—mold spores, grass pollen, tree pollen—I react strongly to them. And I may have a sensitivity to wheat gluten.

Puppygnu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2011, 1:32 pm

My seven year old son has bad allergies. I asked my son's allergist if any relationship exists between allergies and autism. The allergist stated that his experience and the current research indicates that no relationship exists between autism and allergies.

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 3:16 am

I just read on the internet about the link to casein and gluten protiens and autism and the link to the MMR vaccine and autism. The professionals say there are no links, but I beg to differ. I also read about the link to immune disorders and autism. Who knows if it's true, or accurate, but I'm beginning to think these things do play a role.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 8:53 am

I have allergies to dust and mold. Maybe some other things as well, but I haven't been tested in 10 years.

My allergies SUCK! I have to take Allegra daily and I still get sinus pain sometimes. This past week I had a terrible sinus infection of some kind which gave me headaches so bad I felt nauseous and really bad fatigue.

No one else in my family has allergies like me!

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2011, 9:51 am

I intoreant to oranges, pineapple, cows milk and tree pollan.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 6:00 pm

Thank you everyone for your good responses. And yes, I understand that the current medical understanding is that there is no connection between autism and allergies.

However, I still have some nagging questions. And if vaccines are someday found to play a role it’s more likely to be, not the toxicity of mercury, but rather some funky autoimmune response. This is merely a possibility. But you cannot even raise the question without immediately being labeled a kook, a quack, a luddite, a flat-Earther, etc, etc. And that’s a shame. That is a missed opportunity. That is a number of missed opportunities on the part of a number of doctors to have genuine conversations with their patients and families of patients.

If there is someday a “cure” or “treatment,” I’d want to have about three times more respectful a conversation than usual with a doctor---For I generally like who I am. I might sometimes wish the world were different. And I definitely wish other people could be more open to people who are different and not merely notice that they are different. So, yes, I want to keep my good traits, and perhaps add some other ones as well. And as a learning, growing human being, I'm able to do that quite nicely on my own, thank you very much! :D

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2011, 9:11 pm

I don't know of any link. What I do know is that I have some pretty unpleasant sinus problems, and this has been an on and off problem since I was about five. I tend to have bouts of sinusitis that drag on forever. It probably would help for me to see a doctor about my problems, but that seems too complex somehow. I actually sneezed while writing that last sentence.

I tend to just ride out my bouts of sinusitis. I've been dealing with a pretty bad bout on and off (mostly on with a couple of brief reprieves) for the past month. The most unpleasant symptom has been the post nasal drip which causes a scary sounding hacking cough. I actually coughed while I was writing that sentence. I often have really severe coughing fits that persist for several minutes to the alarm of everyone in earshot. Once several years ago, when I was having another one of my bouts of sinusitis, along with the severe cough that always seems to accompany said bouts (I sometimes wonder if I might be slightly asthmatic as well) and some woman near me on the subway remarked that I "obviously should be in a hospital." :? I've had these things many times without seeking any medical attention. They frequently go on for weeks - sometimes even months, but they always go away eventually. Often, I can go for months at a time with no sinus problems beyond some occasional minor irritation. However, once a major sinus flare up takes place, I often continue to have major flare ups on and off for months before it stops again.

Right now, I'm experiencing pressure around my eyes, nose, and in other parts of my head. I'm also experiencing a tickling sensation in my throat. I had a pretty intense sinus headache for a big chunk of the day, and I've had some extremely unpleasant sounding coughing fits. With these flare ups, some days aren't too bad, and some days are really bad. Today's been really bad.

It would probably help if I could bring myself to dust my apartment on occasion, but that also seems too complex. I live surrounded by numerous gargantuan dust bunnies. That probably makes things worse for me.

Additionally, I'm somewhat lactose sensitive (though not exactly intolerant). I can handle dairy in small doses without a problem, but if I overdo it, I tend to have digestive issues.

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2011, 12:48 am

I get *no* seasonal respiratory issues :D :D :D , but I cramp like the dickens with wheat products. I think gluten makes me cranky as well. :?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 1:23 am

When I was a child, I had severe pollen allergies or "hay fever". My mom took me to the doctor for them, because as she put it, it was as though I had a bad cold that never went away. I was put on Zyrtec, which was prescription-only back then.

Then, years later, my allergies suddenly disappeared. Now whenever my mom or brother have trouble with their sinuses when the weather changes, I am unaffected.