Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2011, 12:35 pm

my parents and my PE teacher thinks i'm making up excuses about my ankle so i don't have to do PE but my ankles DO hurt really bad :/

well off to PE D:

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 2:36 pm

Do you have extremely flexible joints?

I'm asking because I have hypermobility syndrome (one of several syndromes that can cause joint hypermobility, the others being things like Marfan's and Ehlers Danlos). Which means that all of my joints are "double jointed". Or most of them are anyway. And what that has meant for me is that my ankles can become incredibly sore when I walk on them. Fortunately (in a way) I use a wheelchair so I don't have to stand on them so much, but when I did walk on them I found that I needed ankle braces to make it even slightly tolerable after awhile. Being double-jointed also makes you at more risk for dislocations, subluxations (partial dislocations), sprains, and a bunch of other stuff, even sometimes from ordinary things (I once permanently damaged a finger reaching for a book, it sprained and now it is permanently bent in the wrong place).

I've heard hypermobility (super-bendy joints) is more common in autistic people, but I don't know if it's true or not. Some studies seem to say so but I'm cautious about such things. So if you do have any "double jointed" joints then that's a potential cause of painful ankle problems right there and you should be seen by someone with expertise in the area. (And if you have both double-jointed joints and super-stretchy skin, then you should really get checked out medically.)

This may be totally off base. I don't know if you injured yourself or something you're not saying. But it sprang to mind so I thought I should tell you about it because I wasn't diagnosed until I had all kinds of joint problems as an adult and someone finally tested me.

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2011, 5:27 pm

well actually everyone thinks it's growing pains but it burns at random times so i know it isn't but i did do PE today the whole time and my legs were hurting but i think since I took tylonal it made it not hurt to much
so i think i'll be fine with PE since my teacher will work with me

well i guess i missed 2 weeks [i think] of PE for no reason and i'm not sure if it's bad or not :tongue:

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2011, 5:30 pm

< has Marfan's

rissadc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2011, 3:35 pm

I might have Marfan's too... :/ Gotta see my doc soon.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 3:46 pm

Exercise is very good for stress

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 4:40 pm

Surfman wrote:
Exercise is very good for stress

Maybe I should do that aerobics class this afternoon.