Page 26 of 26 [ 415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 4:45 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Rorberyllium wrote:
Why does everyone always hate on Love And Monsters? Yeah I guess everyone remembers the slapstick goofiness and the concrete blowjobs, but it's a fun memorable episode with likable characters and it illustrates how their day-to-day lives are affected by the Doctor in a unique way. I actually kind of remember the characters from Love & Monsters, and I don't remember anyone from Blink.

You don't remember Sally Sparrow? Or Billy, who had until the rain stopped? Or "the angels have the phone box"?

I hate on it because it was really terrible. I can't remember why I hated it, because I don't tend to revisit things I've already seen if I didn't like them the first time.

Quatermass: thanks for the recommendations! I am preparing for my A-Levels (which decide whether I will get into university) so I don't have the capacity to watch loads of serials right now, but I have a long summer holiday this year. I recognise the names of several stories (particularly the Fourth Doctor ones). Many of the serials are on Metacafe, which is like YouTube but not as scrupulously checked by copyright holders, so I shall watch them there and maybe look at buying the best ones in the future.

"Blink" is the first episode to feature the Weeping Angels and is one of my favourite episodes. The Angels have to be one of the best monsters ever.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 5:47 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Quatermass: thanks for the recommendations! I am preparing for my A-Levels (which decide whether I will get into university) so I don't have the capacity to watch loads of serials right now, but I have a long summer holiday this year. I recognise the names of several stories (particularly the Fourth Doctor ones). Many of the serials are on Metacafe, which is like YouTube but not as scrupulously checked by copyright holders, so I shall watch them there and maybe look at buying the best ones in the future.

I know what A-Levels are, although I'm an Aussie. We have something called a Core Skills test, or at least we did back in the days when I was in high school.

It was rather difficult choosing just three from each era, especially where the third and fourth Doctors were concerned.

A warning with Kinda: it is very hard to understand at times.

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 5:18 am

I'm reviving this thread, temporarily, for a few reasons. In a few months' time, I might do a revisit of The Enemy of the World, as it has been found along with The Web of Fear. However, I'm leaving a full review blog until November at least for everything else. I might start a new one to precede the transmission of The Day of the Doctor. So yeah.

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 9:04 pm

I've made the decision that, in the lead-up to the 50th anniversary, while I won't review any more extant stories on DVD (I'm leaving that until later), I will review at least one story dear to my heart: The Evil of the Daleks. I recently got that on audio, and I'm hoping that this seven-part epic is as good as I enjoyed listening to it back in the 90s...

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 4:51 am

Actually, I'm going to have to not listen to and review The Evil of the Daleks. I forgot that I was doing something on Saturday, and on Sunday, I've got The Day of the Doctor to watch and review, and I might even include An Adventure in Time and Space...

On sabbatical...

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Nov 2013, 6:59 am

What about The Night Of The Doctor? I definitely think that deserves a review- though of course it is your project!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 11:15 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
What about The Night Of The Doctor? I definitely think that deserves a review- though of course it is your project!

I don't review the minisodes. But it was good nonetheless. :)

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

WARNING: Mild spoilers ahead!

REVIEW: The Day of the Doctor by Steven Moffat

SERIAL:
50th Anniversary Special, 75 minute special

SEEN IT BEFORE?: No (Reviewed immediately after transmission)

In the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who, it was promised that there would be more Doctor Who than ever before. And one of these things was, in the mold of The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors, an anniversary special called The Day of the Doctor. So would Steven Moffat manage to pull off an excellent story? Here's hoping...

In the present day, the Eleventh Doctor is summoned by UNIT to the National Gallery to investigate strange paintings. In Elizabethan England, the Tenth Doctor is caught between a Zygon incursion and a romance with Queen Elizabeth the First. And deep in the Time War, a Doctor who abandoned his moniker has declared 'no more', and has stolen The Moment, the ultimate weapon. How do these three moments intersect? Can three Doctors stop a Zygon invasion? And how can the War Doctor live with his ultimate decision, one that would doom billions of Time Lords to extinction? The Doctor's past is catching up with him in a big way, and he will be forced to confront his greatest failure...

If I have any fault with the story in general, it is that I am not actually fond of the Zygon subplot, which doesn't really do the Zygons the justice they deserve. However, the subplot does tie into the main story enough that I am willing to forgive this. That, and the whole Elizabeth I thing. But otherwise, the story is an excellent examination of the Doctor and his morality, as well as his choices in the Time War, and the ending, while doubtlessly going to be controversial with many Whovians, nonetheless sets things up for a later story arc, as well as resolving much of the new series' history. It is certainly a great celebration, and Moffat, while not quite pulling things off perfectly, does manage to do things right.

Matt Smith and David Tennant are excellent as usual as their respective Doctors, though I think John Hurt as the War Doctor is probably the star of the show. This fine actor would have made an excellent Doctor, and it's a shame he isn't likely to be in it more than this special. Despite being in the Time War, the War Doctor is given nuances, melancholy, and a sense of humour that wasn't expected, and is a very pleasant surprise. Jenna Coleman is a good Clara, Jemma Redgrave makes an interesting return as Kate Lethbridge-Stewart, though I wish that Ingrid Oliver as Osgood was a little more fleshed out. I found Elizabeth I a little irritating, though not due to Joanna Page's performance, I must confess. And finally, Billie Piper makes a return, albeit not as Rose, but as The Moment, a living Gallifreyan weapon. This is a relatively minor spoiler, compared to what's to come, and she is not that far from Surenne Jones' Idris from The Doctor's Wife, albeit less quirky. But she's still pretty damned good.

Production-wise, well, as usual, impressive special effects are the norm in the new series. I watched a 2-D broadcast on the ABC, but even I could tell that the story was meant to be shown in 3-D, with impressive setpieces like 3D paintings and frozen moments. And there's an impressive moment involving a Zygon changing partially back from a human form. What little we see of Zygon tech is a vast improvement over their debut, and while I was not sure about the redesign of the Zygons themselves, they won me over. The story is visually impressive, which is, of course, what it's meant to be. An utter spectacle.

While nowhere near perfect, The Day of the Doctor is nonetheless a pretty damned good celebration of the 50th Anniversary of this great series. And it promises much for the future...

SCORE: 9/10

On sabbatical...

SpeakerToAnimals
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2013, 9:00 pm

Nick Hurran has to be the best director this show has ever had. I can't wait to see what he does on Sherlock.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 10:25 pm

I'm reviving this review blog thread for a trilogy of stories recently released. There are plenty of other stories I have left to watch or listen to, and review, but I'm starting with these three for various reasons.

They are:

The Enemy of the World (revisited with the DVD release of the recently found episodes)

The Web of Fear

The Time of the Doctor

Now, although, leaving aside the above, there are only seven other releases on DVD I can watch (including the yet-to-be released The Underwater Menace). But I will be reviving this review blog whenever there are new episodes of the series, or else I get hold of more missing episode soundtracks.

After these three, and once The Underwater Menace comes out, I will watch and review the following:

The Reign of Terror

The Tenth Planet

The Underwater Menace

The Moonbase
(potentially revisited, due to animated episodes)

The Ice Warriors

Terror of the Zygons

Scream of the Shalka

Anyway, a new scoring system will be used. I already started using it in the Big Finish review blog, but I will debut this new system with The Enemy of the World. Now, my old numerical scoring system was rather skewed, so here's what the equivalent scores would be...

10/10= 5 stars

9.5/10= 4.5 stars

9/10= 4 stars

8.5/10= 3.5 stars

8/10= 3 stars

7-7.5/10= 2.5 stars

6.5/10= 2 stars

5/10= 1 star

On sabbatical...