Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Mar 2011, 8:19 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Zen wrote:
I just checked and my monitor is CFL-based. But maybe getting better lighting for the room will help anyway.
Yeah. CFL is just a fluorescent lamp running at a very high frequency - but the crap CFL quality is 'lost' because of the colour-generating stuff it shines through.
Flat-panel screens are generally very good these days, and far better than CRT screens which could very easily be accidentally set up incorrectly so they flickered horribly.

This was mine until a friend told me how to fix it.

Oh, the headaches.
:lol: God yes. I worked with computers for years and lost count of the number of screens I tweaked - and consequently relieved people of their mysterious headaches.

Quote:
I think I need to stock up on incandescent bulbs in preparation for the ban. The last time I had a CFL bulb was pretty bad (and I didn't even realize why :( )
The sale of 100W incandescent bulbs was stopped some time ago here and I missed out on a panic buying session. :cry:
Everywhere now has heaps of evil CFLs.
There are halogen lamps though, which just drop in place of incandescents and they're dimmable. Halogen lights have an excellent colour quality too and since they're basically incandescent lamps, there is no flicker issue.
Not that cheap, unfortunately, and tend to die quicker than ordinary incandescents.

AspieDa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2011, 8:24 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Zen wrote:
I'm not sure. Eye drops don't help at all though. Cold compresses help temporarily, but then I thought, "Hello, there's no light when I have a compress on my eyes." :lol:

I have an LCD monitor now, which seems to cause less eye strain than my old CRT. I usually keep the lights in the room off, because they are CFLs, and just open the curtains during the day.

Yeah, my old CRT did a number on my eyes. This new LCD is easier to look at, but someone else on this thread I think said that LCDs are basically backlit by fluorescents?

I'd leave my lights off but I can't touch type in the dark.

maybe try glow in the dark labels for the keyboard that way you could type in the dark.

For all of us to scatter,
caution to the wind-Chameleons U.K.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Mar 2011, 8:30 pm

AspieDa wrote:
maybe try glow in the dark labels for the keyboard that way you could type in the dark.

The problem isn't that I can't see the keyboard. It's that I can't see my hands. I'm touch typing, but I keep track of my hands through peripheral vision. I've been gathering mounting evidence that I have serious proprioception issues, and this typing in the dark thing may or may not be one.

Glow in the dark labels might still work, could be worth a try.

Cornflake wrote:
The sale of 100W incandescent bulbs was stopped some time ago here and I missed out on a panic buying session.
Everywhere now has heaps of evil CFLs.
There are halogen lamps though, which just drop in place of incandescents and they're dimmable. Halogen lights have an excellent colour quality too and since they're basically incandescent lamps, there is no flicker issue.
Not that cheap, unfortunately, and tend to die quicker than ordinary incandescents.

My last incandescent died in a week. :( I was quite put out. Usually they last for at least a few months. Current is much better.

Halogen sounds like an option, although, yeah, pricey.

Digsy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2011, 11:54 pm

I broke my routine this morning and stepped outside, I had to cover my eyes, the sun was so bright.
Not getting about I'm not used to the light, it makes my eyes water and hampers my sight.
So I aims for the shed out of the glare, into the little corner I sat in the chair.
I know there is lots of work to do, need to empty the shed so my scooter can fit through.
But I have no motivation, and I don't know where to start, to many darn objects here in the dark.
I filled up a box and stepped out of the shade, the garden was alight with a furious blaze.
I couldn't see for toffee with all the white concrete and haze, water streams from my eyes and down my face.
Dropped the box in a corner and jumped back in the shady space.
Slammed my head on the opening, I managed find some comfort in this place I've made.
Rubbing my head to subdue this persistent sting, I strained to hear the blasted telephone ring.
So I emerged from the shed and aimed for the house, tripped on the step and onto my spouse.
Who had already grabbed the phone much to my surprise, I wasn't expecting her home for quite some time.
She looks out of the window and complains about the mess, my eyesight recovered and even I wasn't impressed.
The wind had blown junk all over the garden, my wife was so angry her jawline hardened.
I pleaded my innocence blamed the wind and the glare but alas there was no escaping that long hard timeless stare.

wornways
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2011, 12:58 am

I have a life-long sensitivity to light, too.