Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2011, 7:57 am

I'm curious. I've read many people here and elsewhere commenting on the intensity of aspie special interests, but also the transience of many of those interests. You'll be consumed by something for a short period of time, then move on to something else. I'm wondering if this can translate out into the everyday world - does it make it harder to stick to just one thing - one job, one house, one of anything for very long?
All I can think about recently is work, and it seems all my intensity for my job has just disappeared. I trained for two years to get in - and now in, my interest has completely gone in a matter of months. I'm slightly worried about the pattern forming here - the inability to hold down a job for long because I always lose interest with it and want to move onto something else, or feel the permanence of it pressuring me and want to escape. Doesn't sound particularly financially viable to me - and indeed, people seem to judge you based on your consistency in things. You can't even get a loan if you've been employed less than a year in any given job.
Is the short tenure of these things possibly connected to aspie burnout? Maybe I'm just nuts. Any comments on the subject?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:04 am

I think the problem is that at some point there is less and less new information to be gleaned regarding the special interest. Then boredom sets in. At times I think the interest itself is secondary, its the acquisition of knowledge that is exciting.

mikeseagle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:25 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
I think the problem is that at some point there is less and less new information to be gleaned regarding the special interest. Then boredom sets in. At times I think the interest itself is secondary, its the acquisition of knowledge that is exciting.

That would describe me. As long is there something new to learn or figure out them I will stay with it. But once it seems routine or boring, I'm off to the next interest.