Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:49 am

We all know about Peter Pan Syndrome. The mindset that prevents people from growing up completley. I think that applies mostly to guys.

Women have a similar syndrome and I think that I might have coined the term today, here on WP. It's the female version of Peter Pan Syndrome and I like to call it Barbie Syndrome. There are some girls who seem to be stuck in their teens. They're into fashion and their looks. Some listen to Top 40 and others listen to their favourite boy bands related to their favourite eras. Do you know anyone on WP who's like this? :lol: They also have the emotional maturity of a teenager. They also seem to prefer bright, groovy girlish colours. I know someone like that. Do any of you have Barbie Syndrome and if you're a guy, do you know of any girls and women who have Barbie Syndrome?

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 10:31 am

I had Barbie Syndrome up until my 35th birthday - about the time when someone refered to me as "mam". I grew up real fast. Now, I'm fifty, almost completely grey and happy.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 4:43 pm

My sister has Barbie Syndrome. She's 30 years old, and my parents have commented that she still seems stuck in her teens. She is very into her looks and fashion, and she listens to popular music. She also loves things that teenage girls would love such as Twilight and Spongebob.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 6:18 pm

I'm probably going to have Barbie Syndrome. I hop it stays that way too! Fashion and looks are way to good to give up.
I hate it when women give up on looks and fashion. Sometimes, I buy t-shirts with logos on them like certain TV shows, bands and cartoons all because they look cute. I love makeup. I never leave the house without at least 5 types of makeup on my face. I listen to every type of music. Fashion and looks are definitley priorites to me.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:37 am

I have no such shameful characteristic.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 2:15 pm

I certainly have Peter Pan Syndrome, it seems I never grow up and still enjoy what young people do.

SunConure
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Mar 2011, 3:49 pm

I think my Mom has Barbie Syndrome and I think that it is common among female NTs. I have whatever is the complete opposite - I have never considered fashion, make-up, etc. even remotely interesting; Mostly I find it puzzling and slightly disturbing. Sometimes I think the media tries and apparently has done an excellent job of brainwashing females into thinking such things are important so that they will spend tons of money on appearance-related products.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:30 pm

I know a lot of people like this but not really on WP. I'm glad for that 'cause I spend quite a bit of time on here. :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:36 pm

Do I strike anybody here as a person who has Barbie Syndrome?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:24 pm

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:52 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

No, of course not! You strike me as being a Mod. :)

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 10:33 am

I'm feel like a teen, but that's all.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 2:51 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

No, of course not! You strike me as being a Mod. :)

Thank you. :) I didn't think I'd strike anyone as a Barbie.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:33 pm

I think I possibly might have it a bit. I do like fashion and 80s music. I also like watching Gossip Girl. But I like a whole host of things that dont fit in the Barbie category too.

Taking a break.

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2011, 7:38 pm

I'm technically still a teen but I act immature and music and fashion has been my thing. I favor "cool" clothes with rhinestones and patterns rather than the muted out colors of American Eagle.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2011, 10:47 pm

My style is low maintenence but on the arty / bohemian side and has been so since I started buying my own clothes.

I see no reason to change because I'm still me and my style is my own, based on my personal taste, worldview, and comfort (not the approbation of others). I have always preferred modest collars, etc. fashion-wise so I'm not (and never will be) mistaken for a cougar. I have never dyed my hair and never will and started getting white hairs in my teens.

I enjoy a wide variety of music, from Classical, Avant Garde, and International, to Techno, Industrial, and Ambient, to the occasional Pop and Rap tune.

I like what I like for my own aesthetic reasons. To do otherwise would feel artifical and overly other-directed for me.

INTJ.