A possible Autism cure that I saw on TV

Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 7:08 pm

I wouldn't wish that on any child. Children should be free to be who they are, whether or not they're on the spectrum. I wouldn't wish that upon anybody to tell you the truth. The best way to raise an autistic child is to accept them, not to have them locked up in a room in an institution, watching videos on how to be boring like everybody else his or her age.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 7:11 pm

Sorry. That's not very Mick Avory-like or God-like, but I just had to say it, because it sounds so funny and so true. :lol:

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2011, 7:40 pm

FFS!

If it takes one entire person-lifetime worth of work to make one unhappy autistic kid look almost normal through intensive dork training then have you really saved a life?

Why would you want to train an animal to act like it's food anyway, unless you're training us up to catch it because YOU want to eat it. Cannibals!

Google 'Cannibal Hypothesis of Autism' in about a month and it'll be up there somewhere then it'll all make sense ;)

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 8:17 pm

This would be a great idea if it took place in a dystopian novel. Otherwise, no.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 8:33 pm

CannabisForAutism wrote:
FFS!

If it takes one entire person-lifetime worth of work to make one unhappy autistic kid look almost normal through intensive dork training then have you really saved a life?

Part of the trouble is that parents can be given the impression that that actually is saving a life. IOW, lead to believe that autism means 'nothing is in there,' and never will be unless the autism is 'defeated.' And then, if a child does show any growth or signs of learning then it's chalked up the the autism lessening because of the treatment/therapy.

Snivy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2011, 8:35 pm

Todesking wrote:

Now your talking out your butt. They condition soldiers to shoot at pop up targets so they will shoot when they see the enemy target nowhere in training did they have us shoot at targets that looked like our mothers/wives. I know you cannot be an aspie because aspies have average to above average intellignce and I do not see any sign of that in any of your posts. You really need to leave WrongPlanet all you do is rile people up and spit out false data. Please leave.

Do you take great pleasure in flaming people, and be the egocentric prick that you are? And who died and gave you ownership of this forum? You have no right to tell me or anyone else to leave. Wrong Planet is a place where everyone regardless of whether or not he or she is on the spectrum, can learn and understand more about ASD and AS, and provide autistics some insight towards self-identity and self worth. Maybe you should not post here anymore because"

1.) You are the only person in this thread who resorted to flaming.(Read the past 5 pages) You fail to provide any insightful posts, but instead flame the person who found this mentioned in the media, and think you're hot stuff because you can bash people who don't agree with your views.

2.) Because I choose not to "feed" you, and you're wasting your time seeing from this point on, I'm ignoring everything you say even if you were insightful. Rude, snide trolls like you don't deserve my attention. I honestly expected some maturity from someone who's 40, but instead I see posts that I often read from 14 year olds.

You might as well stop posting in this thread, I don't care if people respond to you, but I sure as hell will not.

And to the rest of you, thank you for providing your views on this issue. I was very pleased with the responses I gotten. Please note that I mean no ill intent or any offense from making this thread. I just found a scientific hypothesis, that shows that conditioning might cure autism. I never had an opinion on it, because it's not my place for it. I know nothing on autism treatments, so I really have no right to an opinion.

Yes, I believe that was Michael Israel, but I have to check. I will research him and that hospital that he founded.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

I've said enough here. You know where I stand. I'm afraid that if I keep posting in this thread, that I will start saying nasty things that are not of my sweet nature to say.

Mick

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've said enough here. You know where I stand. I'm afraid that if I keep posting in this thread, that I will start saying nasty things that are not of my sweet nature to say.

Mick

wonderfull example, think i will follow it.

thanks, but this thread has been taxing, enoy.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Snivy

01 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm

That is fine. I can understand how highly sensitive topics like this have and I will admit that I have approached this poorly. I do apologize if I caused any form of hostility in the community. As I have said this was not my intent. Though I have so many questions pertaining to this topic, I felt for everyone's sake it would be best if they were not asked. Instead since the original topic was already addressed, this thread is better off sinking in the pit. Thank you all for replying.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 11:45 pm

Snivy a good way to make yourself not look like a villian is to accuse someone else of a misdeed then try to paint them as the bad guy. When you are not suggesting the torture of small children or saying soldiers are so well conditioned that they will kill their own mothers how can you live with yourself.

I have only really flamed one other person here and that was a guy who was running a scam to get money from the people on this message board. If I read what I think is wrong I will call the poster on it. Reconditioning a child is something I went thru with a horrible teacher in the second grade who should not have been put in charge of young special education students. I suspect she had the same ideals as yourself.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 2:41 am

One of the issues I see with this plan is not to offer alternative behaviours. My father actually tried something like that at younger age, just with screams instead of shocks. It lead just to me hating him (and to destroying my self-esteem), not to curtail my behaviour.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:10 am

LostInEmulation wrote:
One of the issues I see with this plan is not to offer alternative behaviours. My father actually tried something like that at younger age, just with screams instead of shocks. It lead just to me hating him (and to destroying my self-esteem), not to curtail my behaviour.

Yeah and it gets worse than that: not all "undesirable" behaviors are conscious or controllable.

NOT A DOCTOR

Snivy

03 Mar 2011, 10:44 am

Todesking wrote:
I have only really flamed one other person here and that was a guy who was running a scam to get money from the people on this message board. If I read what I think is wrong I will call the poster on it. Reconditioning a child is something I went thru with a horrible teacher in the second grade who should not have been put in charge of young special education students. I suspect she had the same ideals as yourself.

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you, and I apologize for my rudeness. Seeing this reconditioning in a point of view such as yours, is really scary to think about.

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 11:09 am

Todesking wrote:
When I was little my parent would smack me for cussing and hitting my little brother it hurt like hell but I never stopped swearing or hitting my little brother. I am sure if they applied electrical shock I still would have been cussing and beating my little brother good percentage of Aspies have a high pain tolerance so you would have to really shock the sh** out of them to get them to register the pain. 8O

If you think shocking children to train them is a good idea maybe you should do a two year study where you apply shock to your genitals everytime you have a bad idea in hopes of breaking the habit. I will assume from your original post you are full of bad ideas and will have very sore naughty bits by the end of the two years. :wink:

When I was small I would order my little brother to do work for me. I was very mean to him and I grew up to be egotistic person. I have bad inter-personal relationship and one of the main reasons is that I take revenge unlike most aspies. We should learn to fight if we are to stop bullying. I do not forgive and advise other aspies to not to, be physically strong. I will have a thread on bodybuilding after a long time as first I will build myself. I will apply those principles on myself which I have learnt.

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 11:11 am

Todesking wrote:
That is like saying look how great and well run Nazi Germany was so can't you just ignore the racial genocide or rapid expansionism into neighboring friendly nations. :roll: I would so like to call you an as*hole but that is against the rules so I won't.

I like your indirect skills, todesking :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 11:14 am

Todesking wrote:
Snivy wrote:
Todesking wrote:
Snivy wrote:
Todesking wrote:

You support it, why else you have posted this "great idea" as a possible cure for autism? Maybe you are mistaking ignorance as shock.

This is the last time I reply to you.

This doesn't mean I "support" the idea. I am in fact, very neutral on this. I saw this on television, and I was hoping to get everyone's views on whether or not this type of conditioning treatment could be effective. No where did I ask for your snide remarks.

Coward maybe? :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Man you are so funny. You sound like an intellectual. Are you into science or maths?.