Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

tskin1
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2011, 10:11 am

I had never seen the show but watched a few episodes last nite i really actually enjoyed it altho max is much more ridged than my son.

there was a really good book our pediatrician gave us when william was diagnosed he was 3 at the time and then it was not specifically aspergers started first with PDD NOS which hten turned into high functioning autism/ aspergers ok so the book is called "Andy and his yellow frisbee" and it was not just for william but for his sister as well because it shows the relationship between the siblings and the differences in Andy .. pointing out that not all kids are the same and that in Andy's case he was lower functioning..

anyway we started reading the book to the kids not really making any big deal about anything simplly another book we read

It wasn't untill he was in probably the 2nd grade that he was very upset one nite because he was having a hard with somthing in his homework I believe anyway he called himself stupid. Then he went on about how he didn't have any friends and how he hates school and different things. I explained that he was not stupid that he was really very smart and how many kids does he know that can pick a lock , or how many can tell you every fact there ever was about trains or about the titanic and that all kids struggle with things it's how they learn but that it was very possible that some of the things he struggled with were because he had aspergers but to remember that the same thing was the reason for some of the things that he was great at. he just wanted to know why it was harder and what things. I pointed out like when mommy said "your pulling my leg" or "it's raining cats and dogs" and you called me a liar other kids might understand right away that it's an expression and ment as funny that i simply needed to teach him these expressions so he'd know them.

That some of the kids dont understand why he only wants to play with trucks because they're playing with all kinds of other things and sometime he doesn't understand why they dont want to play with his trucks, but that later on when he grew up this very focused energy would be a great thing to have that they will all wish they had that it would very likely help him in being succesful in whatever job he'd want. I didn't cry like the show but then in the show they were in a heated argument with the brother so some of the tears may have been related to that lol.. Anyway in our family different is good who wants to be "normal" it's boring but there are some things we have to work extra hard with.

as far as his homework i really didn't relate that to autism at all I simply told him your a child and the only way to learn anything is to do it over and over again and nobody gets it the first time which is the truth!

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:44 am

I watch this too. To be honest, the only part where i could relate was the moment when he is explaining all those things about rides to his father , and his father looks at him in wonder. But the general feeling that i get is that this kid never has a conversation. I know my son sometimes talks a bit "through" me, but max just walks away when they ignore him (and they do. A lot). I don't see my son just walking away after half a sentence. He will just talk like that until he's done, and it can be loooooong, about obscure video games I've never heard about,mostly because some of them are still being beta tested. (yes i've learned stuff :P)
The part where he goes all focused when they finally tell him correctly about aspergers is weird. My son generally can listen this way, but it doesn't mean he understands everything I say immediately and Max asked maybe one question and apparently understood some things that were not said (since he went to his room and looked all kinds of shaken) and that seems a bit unbelievable.
His reactions are a bit off. It's not really the actor's fault ,he is just a kid doing what he's told, it's probably the way it's written. I still like the show though.

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2011, 5:18 pm

Caitlin, what I don't get is why the mom says that she and the home aide have disagreed on curriculum choices. If she's there for social flexibility and not school, why is curriculum an issue? I didn't know about the first season's pgms and maybe it was explained then. The first season is not online, as far as I can tell.