post something Quite Interesting..

Page 1 of 96 [ 1524 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 96  Next

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:08 am

hello all. how are you? good? good
i like the TV show Quite Interesting or QI a lot & thought it would be fun to do something similar here on WP. without the middleman of questions. (though if people think of questions, complete with 'traps' that could be fun)
so here's a place to post any trivia you've amassed in your travels, the only real criteria being that it must be quite interesting, although it being true would probably help.
anyways, hope this is enjoyed :)
one from QI researchers..

There are about 10000000000000000000 insects in the world. One percent of this total are ants. Their biomass alone exceeds that of all the humans that have ever existed (approximately 90 billion). There are more insects in one square mile of empty field than there are people in the world. New beetles are discovered at a rate of one an hour. There are 350000 named beetles, plus perhaps eight million more as yet unnamed; if you lined up all the animal and plant species in a row, every fifth one would be a beetle.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 9:28 am

The Duckbilled Platypus is the only poisonous mammal.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:25 am

The inside flanges on train wheels have nothing to do with keeping a train on the tracks. The wheels have an outward taper to them and this wedges or pins the truck onto the track.
When it rounds a curve though, the radius of the wheel ( by virtue of this taper) can vary its diameter by riding higher on one side and lower on the other side of the track ,allowing the solid axle to not bind. The inside wheel flange, in this instance, would then keep or prevent the axle from "rolling out" and jumping the track.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:03 am

rabbitears wrote:

poisonous or venomous? sorry for being picky, thanks for responding :)

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:25 am

this might explain my previous post, from the show itself..

There are only two kinds of poisonous snake: the Japanese grass snake (Rhabdophis tigrinus) and the common garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis). Technically, most snakes are venomous. A "Venomous" animal is one that kills you by injecting poison into the blood. A "Poisonous" animal is one that kills you when you eat it.

i wouldn't have known before seeing it on QI.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 4:58 pm

Fudo wrote:
rabbitears wrote:

poisonous or venomous? sorry for being picky, thanks for responding :)

Good point. I think therefore the Platypus is venomous. Yet it may also be poisonous too, not sure though.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:12 pm

Fudo wrote:
A "Venomous" animal is one that kills you by injecting poison into the blood. A "Poisonous" animal is one that kills you when you eat it.

:lol: I was going to point this out myself.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:08 am

the Antarctica dialing code is 672

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Mar 2011, 1:38 am

Meth was invented in Japan to make kamkasi (sp) pilots feel invinsible and brave while giving them enough energy to fly for days at a time. It combines the hyperactivity of speed and the halucengentic (sp) quality of LSD while quadrupling the body's dopamine production. It has been called the most dangerous drug in the world because it is incredibly addictive, easy to make, cheap, and causes crime rates to really go up in areas it is sold and has taken over countries all over the world at a breathtaking pace.

I learned this today in a documentary about meth.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:04 am

Rats can't vomit.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 7:04 am

more quite interesting things yay :) thankyou all. i'll have to think up or find out something particularly good. but food first ;)

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 10:27 am

just a little one, since it was mentioned.

kamikaze means literally 'divine wind'.. there was (and i think still is) a kaiten* survivors club/group, as unlikely as that may seem,somewhere in Japan. one would think in a major city but i can't remember where.

*kaiten, literally "Return to the sky", were the japanese manned-torpedos.

Last edited by Fudo on 03 Mar 2011, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 11:21 am

Asperger's Syndrome - whilst this is named after Hans Asperger, it was recently pointed out to me that the name means "to sprinkle with holy water or blood" (when translated from French). ~inthelight.co

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:18 pm

Purple legend

Purple, the name and the colour, comes from a dye made from the mucus glands of a tropical sea snail, the murex (porphyrain Greek, purpurain Latin). This discovery is attributed to the Phoenician god Heracles, the guardian deity of the city of Tyre. One day his dog bit into a murex shell and its mouth immediately turned purple. His companion, the beautiful nymph Tyrus, declared she would sleep with the god only if he dyed her a garment in the same shade. Heracles obliged and the famous Tyrian purple dye was born.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 4:33 pm

with all the Aspies and Auties here, i expected the trivia to come flooding in.. more of a 'determined trickle' at the moment.

k, another one.. everyone knows Fudo is your friendly neighbourhood wrathful deity ;), but did you know Fugo were unmanned balloons 'sent' from japan to north america during WWII, with a payload that consisted of 36 sand-filled paper bags for use as ballast, 4 incendiary bombs and 1 33-pound anti-personnel bomb? :)

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 5:44 pm

...not to be confused with 'foo fighter's' - unexplained flying objects found in the skies by allied pilots in both Europe and the Pacific during WWII - not to be further confused with the band that Dave Grohl, former drummer of the Seattle based grunge band Nirvana, formered after the suicide of lead singer Kurt Cobain.