techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 12:18 am

ROFL, no!

This:

naturalplastic wrote:
Absolutely.

Everyone in the human race is brainwashed, except me, and anyone who agrees with me.

That just goes without saying!

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Philologos: I think he's taking a stab at brainwashing people ;).

Seems like brow-beating and being able to come off like the bigger self-righteous a***hole of any conversation is quite a convincing and powerful tool toward controlling people (and no doubt he's joking but - somewhat right at the same time). Brow-beating and self-exaltation is strong stuff toward convincing people that your superior to them and that they should lift you up.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 12:45 am

It's the medium. I suspected that, but no matter how many Smily Wileys you insert [are WE supposed to be sure what the expressions depicted imply?] ambiguities remain.

And in this case I decided to roll with it, especially because I believe this is the first time I included in my izibongo my great grandfather. By all accounts a jerk, but at least the profession of journalist turned preacher fits my verbal fetish better than my other great grandfathers, one farmer, one inn-keeper, and one accountant.

The preacher and the innkeeper are the most interesting careerwise. The innkeeper made the serious mistake of going in as a partner with his brother who, I am told, consumed more than his fair share of the establishment's liquor.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 1:40 am

Well, if I gave you the chance to vent about family at least some good came of it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 4:12 am

MCalavera wrote:
Are we all brainwashed to a certain extent? Or is it just a select "few" who adhere to religious/cultic views?

And if not brainwashed, but influenced, then what's the difference exactly?

You mean we have values and opinions?

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 10:24 am

Some may deny your value or mine, but ain't nobody going to claim we got us no opinions.