Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:25 pm

As of 2:30 AM! WOO! HOO!! !! !! It's an amazing tale. It reminded me of an RPG with all the characters speaking at different times just as you take control of different characters at different points in an RPG. Once I related the story to my favorite videogame genre I understood the tale much better. I also enjoyed Melville's whale facts far more than the Ishmael story. I can connect with Ahab a little better than the beggining more of a passion than mad obsession. You truly feel for him in the final few chapters. Most of the footnotes were either biblical or based on ancient history/stories so those were based in reality vs. magical fake spell names such as in Potter. What an amazing story. I considered burning it and HATED IT a mere week ago now connecting the RPG comparison and the understanding of multiple characters speaking I had that AH! HA! epiphany at about Chapter 55 then read on and on and got done this morning at 2:30 AM WOO! HOO!! !! The teacher said Good Job! :-) YA! ME!

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:46 pm

:D

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:48 pm

I've never really been into Melville.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

Haha good for you!

Like I mentioned, its not the story thats painful... its the writing style. :P

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 6:19 pm

Dantac wrote:
Haha good for you!

Like I mentioned, its not the story thats painful... its the writing style. :P

Thanks! The joys of being an Aspie. :-) Dad was like I doubt you remember what you read! (he was being sarcastic) I then went on a 10 minute ramble on the parts I enjoyed then mom said stop since I was losing her. BOO! :-(

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 6:22 pm

Was this for an English class? I would like to know if you are reading anything next or if it inspired you to read more.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 6:49 pm

It was for my Literature of the Sea class. :-) I'm not sure if it inspired me to read more books like it or not. I might reread it sometime down the line. It was an interesting story. :-)

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:11 am

k now im curious. literature of the sea? that an english class focusing only on works that have the sea as a theme?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 4:54 pm

Yes Dantac. the stories focus on the sea. Which is sad because I can't swim and could care less about the ocean. I find stories of surviving at sea more interesting than any text from this course. :-)

eudaimonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Mar 2011, 7:25 pm

:D 8O you go. that's rad. I read Moby Dick one long, lonely summer after my parents kicked me out. I agree with you on the whale facts bit.. makes Ahab's passion rub off on ya a little bit huh? the film version is also wonderful.. I had such a girlhood crush on Gregory Peck.

have you read The old man and the Sea? it's Hemingway, much shorter than Moby Dick and more solitary but very much a saga of man vs. nature and man vs. himself.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 8:14 pm

I hated the Scarlet Letter when I had to read it in American Lit more than anything. It was so painful to read. Glad you were able to relate to the material. Congrats.