Professor Gives a Live Human Sexuality Class Presentation

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 6:10 am

This is actually a pretty interesting NY Times article about a professor who gave extracurricular demonstrations of human sexuality for his class. They weren't required for students to attend, nor were they tested on the demonstrations. I think it's an interesting debate as to what is 'right' to teach, or what way is right to teach. I would condemn it if he gave access to minors, but if he didn't use himself, his students, or anything illegal (assuming he didn't ), what is the difference between what he was allowing to be demonstrated and, say, nude models for art classes? I'm not really sure what to think, but I'm curious as to what others think (as long as it, of course, doesn't belong in the Adult forum, but I guess someone could make a thread there too). Anyways, here's the article:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=753514&f=21

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 6:38 am

Someone must have watched Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" too many times. :lol:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 7:48 am

John_Browning wrote:
Someone must have watched Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" too many times. :lol:

damn, you beat me to it :/

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 7:52 am

John_Browning wrote:

Hahaha! Those people are just too smart and funny for their own good lol.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 9:00 am

Quote:
"... extremely poor judgment on the part of our faculty member."

Yes, at best.

BlueMage
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2011, 9:02 am

Colleges are full of useless classes. :roll: Yeah ok, I'll put my human sexuality class on my resume, right next to the mention of my medieval basketweaving, post modern womynist studies, history of Charlie Sheen classes.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 11:53 am

I was under the impression that useless boring(although less boring than my high school) classes unrelated to the profession I am going into would be eliminated during college.

Well that was a disappointment to say the least.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 2:41 pm

ikorack wrote:
I was under the impression that useless boring(although less boring than my high school) classes unrelated to the profession I am going into would be eliminated during college.

Isn't surprising to me at all, this is one of the reasons why I think the Public Education system needs serious reform.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 3:27 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
ikorack wrote:

Isn't surprising to me at all, this is one of the reasons why I think the Public Education system needs serious reform.

This incident occurred at a private university. Do you just take any opportunity for cheap shots at institutions you oppose, regardless of whether your criticisms make any sense or are remotely applicable?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 5:48 pm

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
ikorack wrote:

This incident occurred at a private university. Do you just take any opportunity for cheap shots at institutions you oppose, regardless of whether your criticisms make any sense or are remotely applicable?

I stand corrected, I was basing my statement on all the other teacher sex scandals from the last few years.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 7:15 pm

Maybe the instructor used Ken and Barbie dolls for his demonstrations? :lol: :?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 7:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Maybe the instructor used Ken and Barbie dolls for his demonstrations? :lol: :?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

That's pretty funny that you say that because in another version of the article they showed a video to the same class of a person named Ken displaying a sexual act lol. I don't think my university would ever condone this, although I guess if a professor had tenure and enough seniority, they could pretty much do whatever they wanted as long as it wasn't illegal lol.

ducky9924
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2011, 5:08 am

Honestly, given the context it was given in, I see no problems with it. I could see an issue if it was "tax payer funded", or in anyway forced on students, but it's not.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 4:41 am

leejosepho wrote:
Quote:
"... extremely poor judgment on the part of our faculty member."

Yes, at best.

It wasn't the faculties member of even the performers member it was a device :lol:
This aside, whatta weirdo, what did he think he was going to achieve with that demonstration?

Psychology.. :?