Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2011, 9:11 am

Hi, a strange thing happened to me an hour ago. I was with a friend of mine. She was working on her laptop and I couldn't see what she was doing since the screen was turned away from me. So just to make conversation, I asked her what she was doing on the laptop. She became defensive and said that it was obvious what she was doing as she was typing on her laptop. She then said that the question I had asked was not a 'nice question to ask someone'. Was I wrong to ask? Was it really that obvious?

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

Weird. What's so hard about her saying what she's doing in a general sense... "working on an assignment", "getting some stuff typed out", "facebooking", "checking email"....? Whatever it was, she felt it was a boundary violation for you to ask her and really overreacted. It's obvious to me that your question wasn't really wanting to dive into the details of what she's doing but to get her attention. She could have very easily brushed off the question with a general answer in a friendly tone.

ETA: But, if this wasn't a frequent behavior for her, I'd let it go as her having a bad moment. It's obviously not personal to you either way.

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2011, 10:33 am

thanks, I understand what you just said but the problem with me is that I tend to take things very personally. This incident has been replaying itself in my head for the last few hours and it's making me more and more anxious. I seem to bring the worst out of people. Just a few weeks ago, another friend of mine berated me on facebook for posting cryptic status updates that only a select few people (including him) could decipher. I have schizophrenia and have been going through a rough patch and I was using facebook to vent. it's the only other outlet that I have. He basically saaid that I should "build a bridge and get over" my condition. *Sigh* It sucks being at the end of such things.

thanks again for the response :)