Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2011, 3:24 pm

Anyone here (or have been) a Radiologic Technician? Do you like the job? The reason I'm asking is I'm looking into training and considering this field. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by Twolf on 04 Mar 2011, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 3:36 pm

What is a radiologic tech, is it a radiological tech ?

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

Yes.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 5:33 pm

It is a hard question for anyone to answer, the problem is that the radiological world is a very broad and wide ranging one. Radiation / radioactivity is used in the industry, medical, power production, military and research sectors so there are many different things that a technical worker who works in the "radiological field" could do.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2011, 6:11 pm

Thanks, I should be more specific. I meant a Radiologic Technician in a medical setting.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 2:53 pm

OK, you want to go into the medical part of the radiological world. My advice is look at the following overview of different types of medical radiological work and then if one appeals to you then find out if

In the medical world there is a need for people to fix and maintain X-ray imaging equipment, there is also a need for people to oversee and work with cancer treatment equipment. I know that sealed sources for teletherapy (beams of gamma rays used to kill tumours) may well be on its way out. Many hospitals want to move to LINACs which I think will also need repairing, if anything I suspect that a LINAC will need more work to keep it in good working order than an old style teletherapy system based on an isotope such as cobalt-60. The other one I can think of is therapy using implanted radioactive sources such as oncoseed for prostate cancer and iridium-192 in wire form for breast cancer.

The last type of radiological work which I can think of is the use of open radioactive sources in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. This includes things like radioactive iodine for treating thyroid problems and Sr-89 which is used to lessen the pain for some people with terminal cancer.

I suspect that technicians will be needed to support all of these medical uses of radiation, I would suggest that you look for a professional who works in that sector. You could ask GE healthcare.

http://md.gehealthcare.com/shared/pdfs/pi/oncoseed.pdf
http://oncura.ddaportfolio.com/prostate ... erapy.html

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2011, 9:49 pm

Fixing and maintaining the equipment sounds like the best option and one I haven't considered before (don't know why). This seems most task oriented and less socially oriented - a major plus.

Most of the certification courses available in my area through EDD are for the radiologic techs who operate the x-ray, CT, and MRI equipment. I have read in other posts that it can be a challenge to deal with patients and colleagues. I wonder what others experiences have been like.

I'm just exploring at this point. Hopefully this thread can help others who are thinking of entering the medical field.

Thanks for your reply, advice and links.

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2011, 10:56 pm

I found this on Wikipedia:

Radiologic Technologist - Wikipedia

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 4:32 am

I would not trust what you read on wikipedia, the section on the health and safety aspects of medical imaging seems a grave distortion of the truth. It seems like it has taken some things out of context.

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2011, 2:00 pm

Yes - important to keep in mind, as this is always the danger with a publicly editable information source.