Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

radioflyer57
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2011, 9:34 am

I've heard people say that aspies have a dry sense of humor, an off-beat sense of humor, a dark sense of humor a misunderstood sense of humor, etc. But I am an aspie with NO sense of humor. I'm not talking about finding things funny that no one else does, as I've seen some people say in other threads. I mean that pretty much NOTHING makes me laugh. I just don't find anything funny. I find shows like the Daily Show and the Colbert Report pretentious and obnoxious. I find comedy in general tedious and shallow. I tried taking of few of those quizzes that are supposed to determine what kind of sense of humor you have and couldn't even complete them because when they ask you questions where you're supposed to indicate which of the four pictures/which word, etc. is the funniest, I can't answer because none of them are funny at all. I just find them stupid and pointless. I have been like this since I was a very small child and always thought that my sense of humor would develop as I got older but I'm an adult now and have no more of a sense of humor than I did at age 5 or 6. Is this the case for anyone else? If so, how do you deal with it?

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 10:21 am

It's called Humor Deficit Syndrome--heard of it me neither :D

radioflyer57 wrote:
I've heard people say that aspies have a dry sense of humor, an off-beat sense of humor, a dark sense of humor a misunderstood sense of humor, etc. But I am an aspie with NO sense of humor.

having "no sense of humor" is a character flaw. People with this flaw get overly upset over the stupidest of things (like this reply for example) :D

radioflyer57 wrote:
I'm not talking about finding things funny that no one else does, as I've seen some people say in other threads. I mean that pretty much NOTHING makes me laugh. I just don't find anything funny.

not even your choice of topic? The title itself is a joke. :D

radioflyer57 wrote:
I find shows like the Daily Show and the Colbert Report pretentious and obnoxious.

but they are, that's what's funny :D

radioflyer57 wrote:
I find comedy in general tedious and shallow.

it is, that's what's funny :D

radioflyer57 wrote:
I tried taking of few of those quizzes that are supposed to determine what kind of sense of humor you have and couldn't even complete them because when they ask you questions where you're supposed to indicate which of the four pictures/which word, etc. is the funniest, I can't answer because none of them are funny at all. I just find them stupid and pointless.

they are stupid and pointless, that's what's funny :D

radioflyer57 wrote:
I have been like this since I was a very small child and always thought that my sense of humor would develop as I got older

as if, lack of humor is a lifelong affliction :D

radioflyer57 wrote:
but I'm an adult now and have no more of a sense of humor than I did at age 5 or 6.

you must be a lot of fun to be around! :D

radioflyer57 wrote:
Is this the case for anyone else?

no just you! :D

radioflyer57 wrote:
If so, how do you deal with it?

I make ironic replies with the OP to see if they get it! :D

Come On, Let's both laugh together, I am not making fun of you. :lol:
LOL :lol:

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 10:51 am

this thread... just... gah, whatever...

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:58 am

I only find stuff funny when I understand it. So my sense of humor is probably considered dark/ really odd outside of my friend circle.

stargazing
Raven
Raven

05 Mar 2011, 2:19 pm

LOL!

Sorry....couldn't resist. :D

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 3:47 pm

Peko wrote:
I only find stuff funny when I understand it. So my sense of humor is probably considered dark/ really odd outside of my friend circle.

yeah, I tend towards an extremely dark take on things as well. Black comedies are the best. (yeah I consider monty pythons a meaning of life as one, and its a brilliant masterpiece)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 4:03 pm

I am a lot like you -- I do not laugh at stuff that is pretentious, obnoxious, tedious, shallow, stupid or pointless. People have always told me I need to laugh more, and I do not disagree ... but then there is just damned little to laugh about as far as I can see. However, I do enjoy laughing when we can all laugh at ourselves together after having just learned something useful and coming to see some of our silly arrogances and so on.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 4:08 pm

I guess with autism some parts of the brain dont develop in the same way. I think humour can be affected. I have an unusual sense of humour which I think is partly due to the AS.

I have seen characters on TV, such as Lilith from Cheers- Frasier's wife, who seems to have aspie traits. She just never laughed at anything. Some people just dont laugh at things. I have met people who dont seem to have much of a sense of humour. I wouldnt worry about it. Just be you.

Taking a break.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 4:36 pm

I'm sure you can find things that are amusing to you. It might not be anything from TV, comedians, or pop culture, and if it's not, that's OK.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 5:17 pm

Is it only humor that you don't derive happiness from, or are there other areas of your life that are affected? If so, you may have anhedonia. Anhedonia is a psychological condition wherein a person can't experience pleasure. It is a symptom of several mood and personality disorders.

I'm not a psychologist or even a student of psychology, but I really enjoy learning about mental illnesses. That's why I thought of anhedonia when I read your post.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:07 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Is it only humor that you don't derive happiness from, or are there other areas of your life that are affected? If so, you may have anhedonia. Anhedonia is a psychological condition wherein a person can't experience pleasure. It is a symptom of several mood and personality disorders.

I'm not a psychologist or even a student of psychology, but I really enjoy learning about mental illnesses. That's why I thought of anhedonia when I read your post.

Sadly, anhedonia was the first thing on my mind when I read that too, but I thought I really need to have fun here instead. I always seem to have a serious analysis of stuff and I just needed a break. Just thinking about the anhedonia associated with severe depressions I have had is well, just bad. Anyway, I wanted to keep it lighthearted.

radioflyer57
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2011, 3:48 pm

I actually really enjoy many things and get a great deal of pleasure out of them, which I suppose is at least partially why my family and friends wonder why I don't ever laugh. For that reason, I don't think it's anhedonia. However, I am sad that I can't understand when other people laugh. I've tried the "fake it until you make it" approach, watching or listening to things other people find humorous, but the end result is that I'm always faking it and since I'm never sure when it is that I'm supposed to be laughing, I can't even time my fake laughs correctly to correspond with what everyone else laughs at.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 6:21 am

radioflyer57 wrote:
I actually really enjoy many things and get a great deal of pleasure out of them, which I suppose is at least partially why my family and friends wonder why I don't ever laugh. For that reason, I don't think it's anhedonia. However, I am sad that I can't understand when other people laugh. I've tried the "fake it until you make it" approach, watching or listening to things other people find humorous, but the end result is that I'm always faking it and since I'm never sure when it is that I'm supposed to be laughing, I can't even time my fake laughs correctly to correspond with what everyone else laughs at.

It can be frustrating. I don't laugh very often, but when I do it seems out-of-place. Also it is uneasy being around a lot of people who are laughing while you are not. Laughing really is a spontaneous thing. Sorry, I was not more help and I hope you were not upset at my attempt at humor earlier in the thread.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 10:18 am

radioflyer57 wrote:
I've heard people say that aspies have a dry sense of humor, an off-beat sense of humor, a dark sense of humor a misunderstood sense of humor, etc. But I am an aspie with NO sense of humor. I'm not talking about finding things funny that no one else does, as I've seen some people say in other threads. I mean that pretty much NOTHING makes me laugh. I just don't find anything funny. I find shows like the Daily Show and the Colbert Report pretentious and obnoxious. I find comedy in general tedious and shallow. I tried taking of few of those quizzes that are supposed to determine what kind of sense of humor you have and couldn't even complete them because when they ask you questions where you're supposed to indicate which of the four pictures/which word, etc. is the funniest, I can't answer because none of them are funny at all. I just find them stupid and pointless. I have been like this since I was a very small child and always thought that my sense of humor would develop as I got older but I'm an adult now and have no more of a sense of humor than I did at age 5 or 6. Is this the case for anyone else? If so, how do you deal with it?

Hey, unfunny guy! Say something not funny!