Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Would the posters of the PPR subforum think that a Space subforum would be a good addition to WP?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 8 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 10:56 am

I know I put this in the WP.net subforum, but it is being largely ignored and I would actually like a subforum about space to be considered. Would anyone interested in this topic please go and vote or say something here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt153504.html

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:03 am

Heck yes. A space forum would be great.

I think that the argument against it would probably be that because there's already a section that focuses on science, that all such discussion should be there but I find the topic of that subforum to be too generalized. I mean, come on, "Computers, Math, Science, and Technology" all in one? Technology alone is a huge topic alone rather less with all the other places competing all the same.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:03 am

We'd have to have a lot more posts on space. We'd do much better with a subforum for religion or for economics or something else at the rate we're going.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:19 am

Although I'd love a space sub-forum, awesomelyglorius is probably right about there not being enough posts. The thing, though, that strikes me about it not entirely fitting into the Science, Math, and Technology forum is that space also involves politics, and sometimes the discussions involve Science Fiction (which belongs more in the Arts, Literature, and Drama forum than the Science Forum).

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:23 am

AstroGeek wrote:
Although I'd love a space sub-forum, awesomelyglorius is probably right about there not being enough posts. The thing, though, that strikes me about it not entirely fitting into the Science, Math, and Technology forum is that space also involves politics, and sometimes the discussions involve Science Fiction (which belongs more in the Arts, Literature, and Drama forum than the Science Forum).

Space itself is a location and for that reason is inclusive of practically all topics.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:44 am

I fully support. :roll:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:53 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
We'd have to have a lot more posts on space. We'd do much better with a subforum for religion or for economics or something else at the rate we're going.

Could other people than myself make a few? Skafather's Peak Oil one is fairly close to being a space topic I suppose, but here are a few other possible thread titles as suggestions of possibilities to discuss, taken from my other thread:

Space elevator construction
Orbital shipyards?
Logistics of cargo transfer
Space-based agriculture
Civilian transportation
Potential for space-piracy?
Strategic placement of defense stations
Feasibility of manned deep space stations
Terraformation of Mars
Colonization of the Earth's moon
Mining of the asteroid belt
Plasma propulsion versus Ion propulsion
Feasibility of interstellar spacecraft construction by 2100?
Solar charging stations at Venus orbit?

I'm certain there are more various topics possible, so if anyone is willing to make and discuss a few that would be awesome.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 1:34 pm

I'm totally for it

Quote:
We'd have to have a lot more posts on space

I've wanted to post a lot of different topics but I don't see how they fit into the PPR or even the dedicated Science forum, as I don't want to take that one over with just space talk. A dedicated space flight forum would be a good experiment, see how popular it gets, at least I think so

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 3:03 pm

We're aliens, how can we have not a space subforum? :wink:

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 3:10 pm

I think there are better forums for space stuff. A great one to follow is nasaspaceflight.com. They have many NASA employees posting there so you get some really interesting insider perspectives. Someone posted this funny video there recently explaining why US space policy is so hopeless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HeHfVS ... r_embedded

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 3:12 pm

It seems a lot of people with AS seem to be into space, and an NT forum might not be the friendliest place for many of us to post. I mean there are dedicated political and religious forums out there. Might as well cater to the entire community here, as in many ways we are a microcosm of society at large, just with a different neurological perspective

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 3:14 pm

Perhaps two new sub-forums could be created:

Astronomy, Cosmology & Space Exploration

History, Geography & Anthropology

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 4:32 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Perhaps two new sub-forums could be created:

Astronomy, Cosmology & Space Exploration

History, Geography & Anthropology

i agree with Vigilans, AwesomelyGlorious, amd Skafather84

i would love to see an Astronomy, Cosmology & Space Exploration as well as a Theism Discussion subforum that would be amazing to have because Religion, Science, and Space are my biggest interests and im actually hoping to major in a field in science and space in college so this would be interesting