Quick weigt loss, hair loss after stress.ANYONE?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2011, 2:03 pm

This happens sometimes, when Im stressed and wired up.I will no appetite or hunger and can only get small amounts down, however, I will eat often.

Now, the hair falling out is my biggest problem because whatever weight I loose, I gain back on eventually If I want it, but I havent been able to figure out if so much hair falls out because of lack of nutrition ( which I doubt it is) or because of stress or because my body isnt picking up the nutrition somehow? is that possible?

It only happens when Im stressed.
Im very picky with making sure that I eat properly
and Ive started taking some multivitamins daily
but what else can I do?
My hair went from being long and thick to long and thin.
It might seem like a small thing to others but it really bothers me and Im afraid of having more of it fall out.

Any ideas?

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 2:06 pm

lack of vitamins makes hair fall out.
how much do you eat a day on average?

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2011, 2:19 pm

I know I eat properly and well but the difference when Im stressed is that I will eat 5-6 smaller meals instead of 3 big ones.So its the same daily amount in the end.
However, I will get highly wired up from stress so sometimes I wonder if I just burn it off like mad or something.
It will literally fall out overnight.Its not like it takes time.The first major amount of hair will just go fall out within 24 hours and then it continues for another week or 2 but in smaller amount, although more than normal.
I think it has stopped now but I dont want it to happen again.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 2:25 pm

oh i see now.
i misread before, i believe.

i think stress makes hair fall out too?
not sure, see a doctor if it's worrying you.

but yes, hopefully it's stopped. :)

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 4:03 pm

I could be wrong about this but it sounds like alopecia. There are two types of alopecia to my knowledge, one is temporary and the other is permanent. It's probably the temporary type if you do have it and you are probably ok otherwise because alopecia is triggered by stress. Although, as emlion said, it would probably be a good idea to go to a doctor to make sure that it's not something else.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 4:38 pm

Here is a link for you.

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.html

Telogen effluvium, or sudden hair loss that can be caused after stress, is explained in the linked article.

Alopecia areta, I understand, is an auto immune system issue, so it is very important to see a doctor if it is that. because other associated auto immune system issues could be going on that you are not aware of. Stress can trigger auto immune system disorders too.

Managing stress is the only I know to avoid it if it is caused by Telogen effluvium. Try not to let it worry you too much because that can lead to more stress.

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2011, 5:07 pm

LostAlien wrote:
I could be wrong about this but it sounds like alopecia. There are two types of alopecia to my knowledge, one is temporary and the other is permanent. It's probably the temporary type if you do have it and you are probably ok otherwise because alopecia is triggered by stress. Although, as emlion said, it would probably be a good idea to go to a doctor to make sure that it's not something else.

Hmm, never thought about that.I should read up on it.Thanks.

Ive also gone on check ups on thyroids before and that wasnt it.
Just to point that out for anyone who might wonder.

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2011, 5:10 pm

aghogday wrote:
Here is a link for you.

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.html

Telogen effluvium, or sudden hair loss that can be caused after stress, is explained in the linked article.

Alopecia areta, I understand, is an auto immune system issue, so it is very important to see a doctor if it is that. because other associated auto immune system issues could be going on that you are not aware of. Stress can trigger auto immune system disorders too.

Managing stress is the only I know to avoid it if it is caused by Telogen effluvium. Try not to let it worry you too much because that can lead to more stress.

I really appreciate that.Thanks.I will read up on absolutely all the info here.

I am so thankful for all answers, really.
Thank You x 100 :-)