Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 11:07 am

I've had very dry skin since I started puberty. I would do anything to stop scraping the dry flakes of skin off of my face everyday and stop constantly applying cream. I'd rather just take some kind of supplement like oil, or eat a particular food just to stop that horrific everyday sensation. I even don't bother going out sometimes because I really can't face the soreness all that routine causes.

Yes, I have been to several doctors. They're all completely useless. Is it worth paying to get private allergy testing? Or is dry skin a symptom of a hormone imbalance?

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 11:25 am

my skin is better when I eat an avacado everyday and a tablespoon of udos oil (from holland and barrat). I wash with aqueous cream emolient which is £2 from most chemists and supermarkets. I think my digestive problems makes it difficult for me to absorb vitamins and esential fatty asids so I think staying off gluten and dairy helps too.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 12:10 pm

-Do you get the dry skin on any other part of your body? Elbows and knees for example..
-Is it itchy?

It might just hormone changes from puberty. Lots of peoples' skin goes awful for a few years until they balance themselves out. If the doctors have taken blood from you already, they've probably checked this, but another thing that can cause dry skin is low thyroid.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 1:10 pm

Is it just dry skin or also inflammation and other symptoms?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 1:32 pm

If I eat too much sugar or soft drinks that can cause a red rash on my arms, but if I cut things out then my arms are fine. It's my face that's the problem. I always have very dry flakey skin on my face and neck, but it isn't itchy.

I started puberty at 11 and am now 23 and still get horrible dry skin on my face. I'm sure my skin would have balanced out by now if it was going to.

I've looked up the symptoms of an under-active thyroid but I'm not sure if it applies to me. I would have thought hormones would have something to do with my skin as I got it since starting puberty. Are there any other conditions to do with hormones that affect the skin?

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 1:56 pm

Sometimes a hormonal imbalance in combination with factors such as certain fungi (that can be natural to the skin) can give these kind of problems.

Dry air can also be a good thing, but that is a bit difficult to come by.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 2:00 pm

What kind of fungi?

I would have thought dry air would make it worse, and it does! Unless you're talking about a product I haven't heard of.