Not really sure 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Yes 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I AM REALLY ANTI-VACCINE! 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 39

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm

I haven't come across one yet. I am not talking them causing autism specifically, I'm talking about in general.

Its seems like we are actually offended by anti-vaccine people. I am offended by the idea that I could be mercury-poisoned. If another ingredient in vaccines, and I mean practically any other, was thought to cause autism, I wouldn't be offended by (and may even support) the idea.

I am kind of anti-vaccine, just because I think it's cruel to stick needles into young children and babies.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Skepkat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

I'm offended on two counts.
1. that despite all scientific evidence, the anti-vaccine not only sticks to their beliefs, they actively encourages others to risk their kids lives and other kids lives.
2. that autism / aspergers is looked on as worse than death. I know those on the sever end of the spectrum have a very difficult life, and I am not talking about the extreme. But the spectrum is long. Speaking only for myself, I find that attitude insulting.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 11:56 pm

I'm all for vaccine safety. I have deep concerns about Thimerosal. When I had my daughter vaccinated eight years ago, I insisted on a low dose/long schedule. Only one vaccine at a time broken into multiple doses. The doctor thought I was crazy. I asked her to respect my opinion and my wishes. They do still have to option to use the more old fashioned single dose vaccines (they're cheaper too) but most prefer (and some doctors receive kickbacks for using) the newest super vaccines. Some include 8 vaccines in one! That's asking alot of an infant's/toddlers immune system. I honestly believe we need to protect ourselves from preventable, contagious disease but I also believe that modern medicine is still 'practicing' medicine. They haven't perfected it yet. I prefer they not practice on me and mine.

That said - I expounded on my views on mercury in another thread. I am quite willing to entertain any data whatsoever that spells out what the safe level of injectable mercury is in the human body. Until I see some hard evidence that mercury is safe to use inside a human being - I'll stick to my ounce of prevention. I'm actually siding strongly with the conspiracy theorists on the flu vaccine. Too many things don't add up there. Few vaccines contain Thimerosal anymore but this huge nationally campaigned one does. And it is recommended for toddlers and pregnant women.

And - just for the record - once again - I do not believe vaccines cause autism.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 12:38 am

Even if vaccinations did cause autism, they still do more good than harm.

I think the issue with these parents is the guilt of possibly damaging their children, and in that case, they won't listen to statistics until their child becomes a measles or rubella or polio statistic.

As for the flu vaccine, most people are not familiar with the wrath of actual influenza. Their experience with the "flu" usually wasn't the flu at all. I've had influenza and it is not a three day, or one week deal.

I was sick for two weeks, bed ridden the whole time, relapse two weeks later for another two weeks, and it took me two full months to completely recover. Imagine being out of work or school for two months and trying to convince your boss that the flu can really be that bad, because he/she has never actually had the flu.

I get a flu shot now.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 3:23 am

draelynn wrote:
I'm all for vaccine safety. I have deep concerns about Thimerosal. When I had my daughter vaccinated eight years ago, I insisted on a low dose/long schedule. Only one vaccine at a time broken into multiple doses. The doctor thought I was crazy. I asked her to respect my opinion and my wishes. They do still have to option to use the more old fashioned single dose vaccines (they're cheaper too) but most prefer (and some doctors receive kickbacks for using) the newest super vaccines. Some include 8 vaccines in one! That's asking alot of an infant's/toddlers immune system. I honestly believe we need to protect ourselves from preventable, contagious disease but I also believe that modern medicine is still 'practicing' medicine. They haven't perfected it yet. I prefer they not practice on me and mine.

That said - I expounded on my views on mercury in another thread. I am quite willing to entertain any data whatsoever that spells out what the safe level of injectable mercury is in the human body. Until I see some hard evidence that mercury is safe to use inside a human being - I'll stick to my ounce of prevention. I'm actually siding strongly with the conspiracy theorists on the flu vaccine. Too many things don't add up there. Few vaccines contain Thimerosal anymore but this huge nationally campaigned one does. And it is recommended for toddlers and pregnant women.

And - just for the record - once again - I do not believe vaccines cause autism.

I reckon what you did by spacing the shots out is probably a sensible thing, considering each one can cause a mild reaction.
But on Thimerosal, its proven to be perfectly safe as far as I know.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 1:09 pm

nostromo wrote:
I reckon what you did by spacing the shots out is probably a sensible thing, considering each one can cause a mild reaction.
But on Thimerosal, its proven to be perfectly safe as far as I know.

Do you mean it is considered safe because no major acute effects have been recorded? I'm unsure that it has been 'proven' safe.

I'm a big believer in the theory that we human beings really don't know what we are doing to our selves and our environment. We can see and react to big overt problems, but we are kind of clueless to the small 'invisible' changes we may be inflicting on ourselves.

One of the strongest pieces of evidence against the flu vaccine that influenced my opinion was an interview with an employee of the lab that makes the vaccine. They went on and on about the safety of the vaccine, went in depth into Thimerosal and the science of it. The last question asked was "So, I take it that you've already had your flu shot..." This employee stammered and did alot of 'Ummmm... well..." the interviewer finally called him on it. "You haven't had a flu shot?" The answer 'Well, no."

This is a guy working in a lab with live flu culture. You'd think vaccination would be mandatory for them.

This and many other things still make me much too wary of flu shots.

Skepkat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2011, 9:07 pm

draelynn wrote:
"So, I take it that you've already had your flu shot..." This employee stammered and did alot of 'Ummmm... well..." the interviewer finally called him on it. "You haven't had a flu shot?" The answer 'Well, no."

This is a guy working in a lab with live flu culture. You'd think vaccination would be mandatory for them.

A friend of the family is afraid of needles. He would rather spend 2 weeks in bed with the flu than to get a little shot in the arm. His avoidance of the flu vaccine has nothing to do with the vaccine.

Truth is, you have no idea why this guy didn't get his shot. Could be he doesn't like needles, like my friend. Could be any number of other reasons.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 9:29 pm

Quote:
A friend of the family is afraid of needles.

To tell you the truth, I would too. I got the H1N1 vaccine last year because I heard that it was affecting young people more. I didn't get the regular flu one.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 1:52 am

I got my little Autie the chickenpox vaccine last year. Chickenpox can leave you deaf or with heart damage, scarring, and in my boys case can lead to Febrile convulsions which he's had before which are supposed to be harmless but are terrifying. Not to mention taking time off work would cost about 10-15 times the cost of the vaccine.
So its a no brainer, I'm a firm believer in science and the scientific theory, I don't believe in conspiracies or think that I know better than the experts.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2011, 3:28 pm

I'm definitely pro vaccine as I was born with Asperger's, and I have a friend who died from H1N1 complications who was pretty young at the time. While for me, the mumps vaccine didn't prevent me from getting mumps, it was a relatively mild case. Even then, I'm still glad I had that vaccine and all others as I would hate to see polio or measles return.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

Skepkat wrote:
2. that autism / aspergers is looked on as worse than death. I know those on the sever end of the spectrum have a very difficult life, and I am not talking about the extreme. But the spectrum is long. Speaking only for myself, I find that attitude insulting.

THIS is the thing about anti-vaxers I can't stand; when the ones who do act like PDDs are some kind of horrid disease, and they would rather they're children die of disease than have a PDD like autism or Asperger's. In fact, here's a quote from Jenny McCarthy, who has a PhD in modeling and got a degree in the field of complete ignorance (sorry, that's kinda uncalled for).

Quote:
If you ask a parent of an autistic child if they want the measles or the autism, we will stand in line for the f___ing measles.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... z1G9IfLKt2

As much as I want to, I won't add the quotes about us being "shadows" and all her other crap for the sake of relevancy.

Anyway, I don't know about you all, but I would rather live as an Aspergian my whole life than be dead from some disease that's completely preventable.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:20 pm

yes. I'm anti-vaccine for my family.
1. our immune systems are compromised
2. we have major food allergies(egg allergy and flu shot=bad reactions)
3. I GOT MEASLES from the vaccine and ended up in the hospital b/c of it.
4. My kids have no immunity from the vaccines they got and now that Pertussis is going around
I have to keep both out of school DESPITE being vaccinated for Pertussis.
5 We all 3 of us had horrible reactions from the shots
6 There is aluminum in the vaccines
7 I'm not convinced the adjuvants(or whatever they're called didn't have something to do w/my sons 8 major food allergies)
8 That is a lot of vaccines to inject into a baby
9 It bothers me that some of the vaccines are associated with epilepsy and it runs in my family
10 AND DID I MENTION MY KIDS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO PERTUSSIS AND I HAVE TO KEEP THEM HOME FOR 3 FREAKING WEEKS DESPITE THEM BEING VACCINATED

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 9:56 pm

I am pro-vaccination.

kate123A wrote:
yes. I'm anti-vaccine for my family.
1. our immune systems are compromised
2. we have major food allergies(egg allergy and flu shot=bad reactions)
3. I GOT MEASLES from the vaccine and ended up in the hospital b/c of it.
4. My kids have no immunity from the vaccines they got and now that Pertussis is going around
I have to keep both out of school DESPITE being vaccinated for Pertussis.
5 We all 3 of us had horrible reactions from the shots
6 There is aluminum in the vaccines
7 I'm not convinced the adjuvants(or whatever they're called didn't have something to do w/my sons 8 major food allergies)
8 That is a lot of vaccines to inject into a baby
9 It bothers me that some of the vaccines are associated with epilepsy and it runs in my family
10 AND DID I MENTION MY KIDS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO PERTUSSIS AND I HAVE TO KEEP THEM HOME FOR 3 FREAKING WEEKS DESPITE THEM BEING VACCINATED

The health concerns (actual health concerns) that you are citing are adequate reasons to not want your family to be vaccinated.

And because there are families like yours out there (people who legitimately cannot be vaccinated), it is all the more important that those who can be vaccinated DO get vaccinated.

Also, it is expected that vaccinations will not provide immunity to 100% of those who were vaccinated - anti-vax advocates state that this is proof vaccinations don't work, but that is not the case at all. It proves that they don't provide immunity all the time (for a variety of possible reasons, including people with immune system issues, such as your family appears to have kate123A), and again that is why it is important that those who can be vaccinated, get vaccinated. The more people who are vaccinated, the higher the percentage of the population who has immunity.

draelynn wrote:

I do not have additional data, as it were, but I did see a report on the news the other day about amalgam fillings. Apparently, they leach mercury slowly into the body - over a period of years - so this means that everyone who has amalgam fillings is exposed to mercury on a daily basis. In addition, if you accidentally break a fluorescent or compact fluorescent bulb, you are exposing yourself to mercury vapours. There are warnings on those bulbs because of the mercury content. Also, we all know that there is a lot of mercury that can be found in tuna - how much of that would end up in your body (as a %age of what was consumed) I have no idea (I've never tried to find that out), but one would imagine that over time, you'd accumulate quite a bit.

In essence, we are exposed to mercury on a daily basis. Yes, thimerosal used to be in childhood vaccinations, but it is all but gone. But we still have mercury in compact fluorescent light bulbs - and no one's running around blaming autism on cfl's. Or tuna.

(I believe that the flu vaccine vaccine is the only one that still contains it (can anyone confirm?). And I believe that, in the case of the flu vaccine, that is because they need to develop the vaccine quickly, because it is reformulated every year, and it is a combined vaccine (ie - they are developed against multiple flu strains). To try to produce it without thimerosal would take too long - they'd roll it out after flu season was over, making it useless. I can't remember for certain if that is the reason, so no bother in anyone trying to flame me if you think I'm wrong.)

As an aside - info regarding mercury in CFL bulbs
http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/p ... ercury.pdf

So, if one bulb with 1 mg of mercury is broken, and 11% is released into the air, then 0.11 mg = 110 ug of mercury is released into the air. If the bulb contains the higher end of mercury (4 mg), then 440 ug of mercury is released into the air. How much of that may be absorbed into the bodies of people in the room? I don't know, but you would have to imagine some would, especially if you're close to the bulb when it breaks and/or you clean it up.

(Ha, in their clean-up recommendations for a broken CFL, they say to have everyone leave the room for 5 to 10 minutes, turn off your HVAC system, and air out the room. Wonder how many people actually do that? I imagine most just sweep up the pieces and dump them in their indoor garbage bin.)

And here's a link to a page that discusses thimerosal in vaccines (keep in mind it is from the early 2000's) - the interesting stuff in this article, for me, relates to the normal exposure we all have to mercury in our day to day lives. It's worth a glance if your are interested, if nothing else.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/weba ... 809ea.html

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2011, 6:04 pm

Im against all vaccines really.Im nt going to develop it further, Id be typing all night long but its how it is, I have reasons and no, I dont let my kids get them either and they are very much just fine.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:25 pm

cave_canem wrote:
In essence, we are exposed to mercury on a daily basis. Yes, thimerosal used to be in childhood vaccinations, but it is all but gone. But we still have mercury in compact fluorescent light bulbs - and no one's running around blaming autism on cfl's. Or tuna.

I'm not anti-vaccine but I also do not have 100% confidence in our government or the private sector producing our pharmaceuticals. There are questions about thimerosal and about the amount of aluminum in the flu vaccine. There are questions about the astounding miscarriage rates associate with the flu vacine that is recommended for pregnant woman. Having a contaminate pass through the gastrointestinal tract or aerosolized through the lungs is much different than direct injection into the blood stream. Until someone can show me the study that says, definitively, how much mercury is safe to directly inject into a human body, I'll err on the side of caution.

And just for arguements sake, my daughter needs some fillings. Imagine my surprise when the dentist presented this information sheet, required by the city, that I needed to sign:

http://www.toxicteeth.org/Amalgambrochure-PDPH.pdf

Why on earth would anyone want to introduce something into their body if it is classified as 'hazardous waste' for purposes of disposal?

Again, there are safer alternatives until we know for sure what we are doing to ourselves. Everyone is concerned with accute symptoms. I'm much more concerned with the possible long term effects.