Grad school: affording and doing it while working

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2011, 3:04 am

Hi all,

So I'm in a mini-dilemma: I really should be thinking about grad school.
I've been at my current job as a Data Analyst for about a year, and have achieved good success (not great, but I think both employer and I are satisfied w/ the arrangement). Of course, being an entry level job, the money is comfortable, but not great, and I feel like an MS in Comp Sci or Economics can really take my skill set to the next level (Computer Science would obviously be a more narrow focus, Economics for a more broad / less likely to have my skill set outsourced focus...heh cynicism, I'd make a great Econ student already).

Of course, this brings up two questions. First is, how can I afford a good program? Living in the Boston area, I'm not exactly low on options, but all the good ones are incredibly expensive. Would there be a good list of scholarships I could apply for? (my college GPA was only okay, but my GRE Quantitative was perfect, and I'd like to think productivity in the field can offset a good-not-great undergraduate record). I feel like incurring a lot of debt would be ill-advised for a person who is already busy paying down a college loan (which in itself isn't too bad, but piling onto it might be a bad idea).

And second, how do you all feel about part time grad school? Obviously in this day and age, w/ skyrocketing prices and the way the master's degree is quickly becoming worlds more valuable than the bachelor's, there's a lot of people who are willing to spend 5-6 years taking part time courses en route to an MS, though I also hear from people who believe it's still better to pull out of the full time workforce for 1-2 years and finish your masters w/ a class.

What do you all think?

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2011, 11:10 am

I heard that typically companies pay for MS if you work however that is just a couple of cases but asking would not hurt. My friend took a loan for his MBA and did it while working(i think it took 2 years). Another case is a couple of engineering students from china that entered the phd program (and got a full scholarship for it) and than just got MS and went to work (I think you need to have a suitable advisor for that, otherwise may end up with nothing).

i heard that for mba a school prestige is crucial however i think for comp sci you can find a good (top 50) affordable state university and it would be useful.

good luck