Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 8:33 pm

How is it that in some cultures, children can easily be indoctrinated and taught to hate others and not care about others when mirror neurons allow the ability of a person to empathize with others? Or do mirror neurons only give a person the potential to learn empathy? Do hateful people have malfunctioning mirror neurons?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 8:42 pm

jc6chan wrote:
How is it that in some cultures, children can easily be indoctrinated and taught to hate others and not care about others when mirror neurons allow the ability of a person to empathize with others? Or do mirror neurons only give a person the potential to learn empathy? Do hateful people have malfunctioning mirror neurons?

i would agree with them allowing a person to learn empathy because most aspies cant empathize with people

and kids are very impressionable which makes them suitable targets for indoctrination as Westboro Baptist Chusrch shows seeing as how most active members are DIRECT DECENDANTS of Pastor Fred Phelps it shows how well indoctrination is but his 4 normal kids that left the church to live their lives and hate their dad also shows how indoctrination isnt foolproof

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 9:58 pm

Never heard tell on mirror neurons.

I am NOT convinced that thee is much difference in malleability from one country to another. Some cultures try a little harder - some use techniques WE don't count as indoctrination.

But in any culture some are natural indoctrinators and others natural indoctrinees.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 10:05 pm

Okay:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neuron

Noticed in 1992 - this is why I never heard. Apparently not really worked through, suggested uses but not quite understood.

Thing is, if they are involved in language learning , then there would have to be hierarchic cutoffs:

THIS much function facilitates socisalization, THIS level cuts off empathy, THIS level impairs language, and so on.

BUT - indoctrination as I have seen it would probably NOT be dependent on mirroring. Socialization / acculturation is a different thing, which WOULD involve mirroring.

DynamicPhoenix
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Mar 2011, 9:46 pm

jc6chan wrote:

The question for me would be: WHO are they empathizing with? The people they're supposed to hate or with their parents? Who do they see feeling what emotion in reaction to what stimulus?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:16 am

jc6chan wrote:

Total lack of empathy is a pathological conditions for humans. One of the Gifts of Evolution is the ability to feel what one imagines to be the pain of another. Empathy and a kind of altruism is what makes human society possible (and therefor human survival possible).

Even Aspies, such as I am, learn empathy in a circuitous empirically based manner. To NT's it comes naturally. To folks like me, we have to work hard at it. Empathy is a necessary condition for living in a social world. Without empathy, good manners would be impossible.

ruveyn