Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 6:49 pm

If aliens exist, would it be a bad idea to bombard their planets from space?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:08 pm

What do you mean by bombard?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:09 pm

Maybe? Chances are that any sentient beings would be equally as violent as we are, so we should assume they are as hostile as we are.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:27 pm

Paranoia.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:29 pm

If there are any aliens within 80 light years we have been bombarding their planets with s**t television. I hope to christ I'm not around when Jersey Shore gets to them

Last edited by Vigilans on 09 Mar 2011, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:36 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If aliens exist, would it be a bad idea to bombard their planets from space?

If intelligent non-terrestrials exist they exist in another star system. Given current propulsion technology or even likely propulsion technology we cannot get to where they are, so your recommendation is moot.

ruveyn

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:43 pm

Whether other sentient creatures are as violent as us or not (I personally suspect that some would be, many wouldn't be) it would be highly unethical to try to commit genocide against them.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:47 pm

Stephen Hawkins warns to do our best to remain hidden from them rather than trying to contact them. In that their intentions toward us would be one of expoitation, not unlike the effect of Christopher Columbus' exploration in South America.

I like to think of all of it as a waste of time. Considering the survival instinct and competitive nature of all life on this, planet, I don't see any reason to believe the nature of life could be anything but that on another planet. I think it is likely that any life that has developed technology would probably destroy itself with the technology well before they were able to cooperate enough to leave their planet for another solar system. And, considering the fragility of organic life, we might have more to fear from a technological product from another form of intelligent life.

However, I am looking at this from my tiny perspective as human, so what the heck do I know except for a guess at this point.

If we had the capability to bombard aliens in space, I can't see any reason for doing it, unless one were to put it in a Star Trek perspective, where the conflicts of our world are a microcosm of intergalatic conflicts. For me Star Trek was a satire on our world and the differences that exist among us here on earth; played out in space. That's all it could be because this is the way human's view reality, tribe vs. opposing tribe, for survival purposes.

So many countries in the world are in financial trouble, and there is so much conflict among humans that I doubt we will ever have the cooperation in the world necessary to achieve an opportunity to bombard Aliens on other Planets. It is probably a good thing for them that we don't achieve this capability and also a good thing for us if they don't achieve this ability. Asteroids, black holes, gamma rays, etc. are enough for us to worry about as far as space is concerned.

Imagine what life would be knowing your whole life there was a real chance of intelligent life destroying us at any second. Many people in the world already participate in a life similiar to this. We have not had much to fear from wars between our borders; in comparison to what many others in our world have experienced in the last one hundred years.

Stephen Hawkings suggests the mathematical potential for intelligent life is there; but is it there at the same time? We exist on such a small point in the timeline of life on our planet. And, we are the only intelligent life that has gained the ability of technology in the history of our planet. Intelligent life on other planets seems inevitable but, intelligent life with advanced technology at the same time we exist is beyond my comprehension. Too many variables at play, and time is the biggest one as far as I can see.

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 7:49 pm

Vigilans wrote:
If there are any aliens within 80 light years we have bombarding their planets with sh** television. I hope to christ I'm not around when Jersey Shore gets to them

I want to jump on your Sh-- TV band wagon. Probably both talking about completely different sh-- but hope we are more or less on the same wave length.

I would die of shame at the thought of an intelligent race seeing what crap 90% of the human population seem to like watching!!

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:55 pm

Sowlowsolo wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
If there are any aliens within 80 light years we have bombarding their planets with sh** television. I hope to christ I'm not around when Jersey Shore gets to them

I want to jump on your Sh-- TV band wagon. Probably both talking about completely different sh-- but hope we are more or less on the same wave length.

I would die of shame at the thought of an intelligent race seeing what crap 90% of the human population seem to like watching!!

Mainstream TV might be proof of something that we are not intelligent enough to see.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:57 pm

Vigilans wrote:

lmfao :lol: so true.

OT: it depends on the aliens, what if they were a civilization with no spacetravel?
to me this is an impossibly open question, too many unknowns.
on another note i dont see why we couldnt coexist, though i think some people might have a hard time with something that different, maybe there will be an uncanny valley kind of effect.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 8:31 pm

Sand wrote:
Paranoia.

No, an understanding that nature is red in tooth and claw. Evolution breeds killers and manipulators.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:15 pm

aghogday wrote:
Stephen Hawkins warns to do our best to remain hidden from them rather than trying to contact them. In that their intentions toward us would be one of expoitation, not unlike the effect of Christopher Columbus' exploration in South America.

I like to think of all of it as a waste of time. Considering the survival instinct and competitive nature of all life on this, planet, I don't see any reason to believe the nature of life could be anything but that on another planet. I think it is likely that any life that has developed technology would probably destroy itself with the technology well before they were able to cooperate enough to leave their planet for another solar system. And, considering the fragility of organic life, we might have more to fear from a technological product from another form of intelligent life.

However, I am looking at this from my tiny perspective as human, so what the heck do I know except for a guess at this point.

If we had the capability to bombard aliens in space, I can't see any reason for doing it, unless one were to put it in a Star Trek perspective, where the conflicts of our world are a microcosm of intergalatic conflicts. For me Star Trek was a satire on our world and the differences that exist among us here on earth; played out in space. That's all it could be because this is the way human's view reality, tribe vs. opposing tribe, for survival purposes.

So many countries in the world are in financial trouble, and there is so much conflict among humans that I doubt we will ever have the cooperation in the world necessary to achieve an opportunity to bombard Aliens on other Planets. It is probably a good thing for them that we don't achieve this capability and also a good thing for us if they don't achieve this ability. Asteroids, black holes, gamma rays, etc. are enough for us to worry about as far as space is concerned.

Imagine what life would be knowing your whole life there was a real chance of intelligent life destroying us at any second. Many people in the world already participate in a life similiar to this. We have not had much to fear from wars between our borders; in comparison to what many others in our world have experienced in the last one hundred years.

Stephen Hawkings suggests the mathematical potential for intelligent life is there; but is it there at the same time? We exist on such a small point in the timeline of life on our planet. And, we are the only intelligent life that has gained the ability of technology in the history of our planet. Intelligent life on other planets seems inevitable but, intelligent life with advanced technology at the same time we exist is beyond my comprehension. Too many variables at play, and time is the biggest one as far as I can see.

im a huge fan of Steven Hawking thats one of my favorite quotes by him where he said if aliens were advanced enough to visit us it would end similar to how when Christopher Columbus found America and it didnt work out to well for the Native Americans and in my personal opinion relating to that quote i would say that if they can visit us they would probably view us as about as primitive as the Native Americans when Columbus came here

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:36 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Sand wrote:
Paranoia.

No, an understanding that nature is red in tooth and claw. Evolution breeds killers and manipulators.

This is a profound exhibition of the total ignorance of multiple forces operating throughout nature. In the human body alone there are multitudes of non-human life in operation without which we could not exist..

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:48 pm

TheKing wrote:
aghogday wrote:

im a huge fan of Steven Hawking thats one of my favorite quotes by him where he said if aliens were advanced enough to visit us it would end similar to how when Christopher Columbus found America and it didnt work out to well for the Native Americans and in my personal opinion relating to that quote i would say that if they can visit us they would probably view us as about as primitive as the Native Americans when Columbus came here

You may not have seen reruns of the old "Twilight Zone" shows. One of my favorites was "To Serve Man". A group of "Nine Foot Tall Aliens" visit the earth and promise wonderful things to humans. They offer a visit to their planet and carry a book with them whereever they go that looks like a Bible and is titled "To Serve Man".

Well, to make a long story short after the humans get on the space ship for their wonderful excursion they find out that the book was a Cook Book. Old shows like the twilight zone were great; almost no special effects but the meaning of each show was unique and made a person think a little deeper about life; they were quite a commentary on the nature of existence.

My own personal thought about the advancement of humans is we are moving toward a pleasure based motiff and away from the ability for critical consciousness. Advancement is what it is; but not necessarily advantageous. The humans in the twilight zone show found that out.

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 10:55 pm

If I found a planet like Vulcan, I wouldn't bombard them. I'd move there.